Wawayanda Group Ride

I might be around to participate in the ride. I live about 2.5 miles away from the park and could probably take some of the faster and more adventurous riders back to split rock, rattlesnake, pickle, hemlock, wall, budha, etc.

I might be around to participate in the ride. I live about 2.5 miles away from the park and could probably take some of the faster and more adventurous riders back to split rock, rattlesnake, pickle, hemlock, wall, budha, etc.
Oooh, you mentioned some of the best trails in the park. I could branch off to the left at top of Mojo, get to Hemlock, Pickle and ride up Tombstone to take Rattlesnake down (or vise versa) or Pine, and down to Buddha, Splitrock, Wall and back up Mojo to connect with Red Dot. Almost BearScat in reverse.....I'm lovin this idea....
Since I volunteered to lead the Advanced ride, and know the trails well, I tend to get lost so any navigational help is much appreciated.

Oooh, you mentioned some of the best trails in the park. I could branch off to the left at top of Mojo, get to Hemlock, Pickle and ride up Tombstone to take Rattlesnake down (or vise versa) or Pine, and down to Buddha, Splitrock, Wall and back up Mojo to connect with Red Dot. Almost BearScat in reverse.....I'm lovin this idea....
Since I volunteered to lead the Advanced ride, and know the trails well, I tend to get lost so any navigational help is much appreciated.

Throw in Thirsty Dog and Rockadendron and you pretty much have the full tour covered. I have never tried to hit all of it in one ride, not against trying it.

I've done them all in one shot. Not for the faint of heart I can tell you that. I typically won't hit them like that until mid july when I sufficiently satisfy my distance and burst training.

That's my neck of the woods. I ride in from Cherry Ridge road. Usual casual loop for me is Cabin trail, to Tombstone, down Rattlesnake or Pines to Pickle, up white dot, down Timber to Pumphouse, or something similar. Great trails,good stuff that you would want to include if possible.

That's my neck of the woods. I ride in from Cherry Ridge road. Usual casual loop for me is Cabin trail, to Tombstone, down Rattlesnake or Pines to Pickle, up white dot, down Timber to Pumphouse, or something similar. Great trails,good stuff that you would want to include if possible.
I'm glad you'll be along for those that aren't familiar with the trails!

I'm a creature of habit, unfortunately, and typically start from Lake Waway. So by the time I get to Buddha or Thirsty and knowing I got Red Dot I'm wiped. BearScat puts a good loop together, but bypasses Buddha, Wall, Mojo, Splitrock etc. Looking forward to this ride, it's in reverse direction of my typical Waway ride, and I hope to hook in Hemlock and Rattlesnake, by far two of the best trails in the park!

Today was my first ride at Wawayanda in a few years. I think it was my first time on Hemlock and I really enjoyed it near the small lake.

I went in search of Mojo Trail today. 3 PM nice and sunny, got to Cherry Ridge Rd 3:15 and headed to Mojo, thunder and rain struck me as I headed out. No turning back now. I know all the marked trails, so I found it pretty easily as it's unmarked and I had an about location. Nice trail, I never realized it was there. I've actually been on the stone bridge before from exploring off Cherry Ridge. I couldn't ride the whole trail, had to walk some. The rain was getting worse and it even started hailing! I went from North to South. Got back on Cherry Ridge and thought I'd find Hemlock. No luck. I went in Old Coal and made a right on an unmarked trail that brought me to Lookout Lake. Then I gave up (still raining hard) and headed back on Lookout Trail. Then I lost my sense of direction and rode Old Coal the wrong way and backtracked a few times and finally found Cherry Ridge again. I wound up doing 5 miles from Ferber Circle out and back, now cold and wet. Got home and the sun came out. I double checked my maps on the computer and see that Hemlock runs off of Mojo, I didn't see that trail at the time, that's for another day. I'm learning these trails in baby steps I guess. Still was a great day out, I'm not usually riding in the rain and hail on the trails.
ps. Mojo has literally no mud, it's hard packed and ground up leafy base, and ROCKS.

Cherry Ridge bridge from Mojo
Mojo1.jpg

Last edited:
hemlock and rattle snake are my favorite trails there. both are so fun.
I went hunting the elusive Hemlock Trail today. Started at Mojo and made a right onto an unmarked trail which came to a fork, left or right? I chose right, which took me to a road, Old Coal trail. I made a left and rode to another unmarked trail that led to a big mudhole so I backtracked and went to Lookout trail up to the lake. Then on the way back I took another unmarked trail to the right, I think that trail forked again. I followed it for a while and couldn't find the trail anymore so I gave up and backtracked back to Cherry Ridge and quit. ps I met up with @pooriggy who was just arriving for a ride.

Hemlock hunt.jpg

Last edited:
Use this map.

If you go down Old Coal from Cherry Ridge you will pass the start of White dot. In another 100 yards you will have a crossing single-track. To your right is the end of Hemlock and Load. To your left is the end of Mojo Swamp.

Attachments

• WW1.png
    WW1.png
    536.3 KB · Views: 142
Yes, Mojo is a connector to Hemlock. Mojo is tricky to find because it's a ST parallel to one of the Jeep roads. And then it doubles back on a left turn to parallel Old Coal to get to Hemlock. Probably easiest way to get to Hemlock is from White from the North and instead of taking Pickle/ Fisherman's continue down past Lake Lookout and trail is on right. Both trails well worthy of riding. I get confused around Buddha, Splitrock, Wall area but most of the park I sorta got figured out.

What's the latest on this? Forecast for ~ 0.5in of rain on Friday, does that wash this out? Is sunday a rain-delay option??

Back
Top Bottom