Wawayanda Group Ride

Reggie

Formerly ReggieHammond
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I would have been all over this, but have a very busy May with work, family, and previously committed biking stuff.

If you decide to do another one by chance, I'm in for that!!

FitmanNJ

I'd like to join-in, but I work on Saturday mornings, so Sundays would be my only opportunity to take part (unless you started the ride anytime after about 12:30PM on a Saturday...). I'll stay tuned...

Kaleidopete

no leash is fine, pretty much everyone does it at waway, even on a crowded day you will at best run into 4 groups of hikers max and about the same for bikes as long as you stay away from the beach.

Is the loop starting up hof and ending on iron mountain? if so, you may want to reverse it, iron mountain is a good warm up loop but is not all that interesting of a trail, if you did it as a cool down that works as well.

Should you split the ride into two groups you might want to include mojo and porcupine for the more advanced group(hard to tell if you are doing cherry to nature jims or something else here)

The ride is starting at William Hoeferlin and going South, and ending back at William Hoeferlin.
Yeah, the Iron Mountain around to William Hoeferlin was a cool down finish.
I don't know mojo and porcupine to add them into the ride. Here was my plan:

Starting at the main office parking lot take the William Hoeferlin trail South.
This brings you to Double Pond Tr.
Make a right and go a few hundred feet to Plymouth Lane Tr. on your left, look for the fender. Plymouth Lane takes you to Banker Tr.
Make a right here and ride to Cherry Ridge Tr.
Make a right again and ride to the first trail on your right, Red Dot Tr.
This takes you to the North end of Double Pond Tr.
Make a left, through the campground and up the road / hill past the furnace to the lake and dam. This is Wingdam Tr.,
Go left here and ride past the other dam, through the laurels to Sitting Bear Tr. on your right.
This will take you to South End Tr. on your right. South End will take you to Pumphouse Tr.
Make a right and ride to the end, you’ll see the West end gate parking area.
Make a right down the road, as you start downhill on the paved part look for Iron Mountain Tr. on your left.
Ride this and it comes to the beginning of William Hoeferlin Tr. as it veers right, if you went straight just exits the park by houses.
Coming up the double track section of William Hoeferlin it makes a sharp left onto a wide single track. The road you were on goes straight to the main paved road.
This single track of the W H Tr. brings you back to the parking lot. 15.25 miles.

Kaleidopete

I'd like to join-in, but I work on Saturday mornings, so Sundays would be my only opportunity to take part (unless you started the ride anytime after about 12:30PM on a Saturday...). I'll stay tuned...
We'll have to see what the other riders find what works for all

w_b

I may be able to join, if

sunday
early am til 11-ish (early early works for me too)
slow! social not hammer
somewhat less than 15mi, or includes an easy to follow bailout (If I do 12 at Hartshorne I am basically done)

I know, "soundz" like a lot of conditions, but maybe others have similar constraints? This park has been on my list to hit for years....

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
I have an idea on how to keep up with the fast group if you show up I can hook a tow rope up to your bike sit back and relax

Kaleidopete

Should you split the ride into two groups you might want to include mojo and porcupine for the more advanced group(hard to tell if you are doing cherry to nature jims or something else here)
I was including Nature Jim's, that's on Red Dot. I've never ridden mojo, Porcupine I tried to follow a group riding this trail and I couldn't keep up and I lost the trail so I had to head back. Maybe you could be a leader of the fast group!

qclabrat

thanks Pete for setting this up, I good possibility for me since I've never been to Wawa
post up the final date and I'll try to get there

Kaleidopete

@Juggernaut
@mtbiker87
@mattybfat
@jmanic
@domo
@ridgehog
@fidodie
@rick81721
@Santapez
@ReggieHammond
@Roadie
@Arwen's Mom
@wage
@1sh0t1b33r
@jimf
@FitmanNJ
@w_b
@onetracker
@jimvreeland
@qclabrat

It looks like about 20 people responded with interest in doing this ride.
I think we DO need an advanced group and a slower group and even slower than that group if needed, as Jim V suggested.
Sunday seems to be more popular too with some.
I'll ask how's Sunday May 15th? 9AM. For those still interested either post it here or go through "conversations" link.
Let me know if Sunday the 15th is good and your riding skill. We'll get this thing going yet!

domo

Pete I've never ridden wawayanda but I guess it's like Ringwood where there are sections of long and sometimes tech climbs. How longs does that loop take you at a mild pace. When I say mild I mean like when I stop twice to get up Pierson ridge coming from lot c fire road. Lol.

Kaleidopete

Pete I've never ridden wawayanda but I guess it's like Ringwood where there are sections of long and sometimes tech climbs. How longs does that loop take you at a mild pace. When I say mild I mean like when I stop twice to get up Pierson ridge coming from lot c fire road. Lol.
I am going to have to find a volunteer to lead the advanced group because I can't ride like that.
That being said, you could ride with the slower group, or the real slow group. Us slow riders wouldn't be doing the 15 mile ride.
We will do a shorter loop of half that, more or less depending on how were doing that day.
There are plenty of bail out options riding here.
Just for example I did the loop around the lake a few times. It's 5.75 miles and it takes me 100 minutes which is about 3.8 mph. slow as shit, but I still had fun. So get out and do it!

Off The Road Again

Sounds like a good ride! So far, any of the dates work for me. I can lead an advanced group, or at least help out. I could link up Porcupine off of Cedar Swamp, then take Rockadendron up to Mojo, then Red Dot, Sitting Bear, etc.
With this many riders meeting at the front office, is the parking lot big enough? I like the idea of starting here because I rarely ride the trails in this direction.

Kaleidopete

Sounds like a good ride! So far, any of the dates work for me. I can lead an advanced group, or at least help out. I could link up Porcupine off of Cedar Swamp, then take Rockadendron up to Mojo, then Red Dot, Sitting Bear, etc.
With this many riders meeting at the front office, is the parking lot big enough? I like the idea of starting here because I rarely ride the trails in this direction.
Thanks for offering the advanced group. I think the parking will be OK, there is an overflow parking where the cops and workers park.
That's nice adding Porcupine and Mojo.
Sunday May 15 9AM

thegock

Thanks for offering the advanced group. I think the parking will be OK, there is an overflow parking where the cops and workers park.
That's nice adding Porcupine and Mojo.
Sunday May 15 9AM

This sounds great and I will try to make it up. Not sure where this parking lot is, but will try to figure it out in the next three weeks. Looks like off of Warwick Tpk just south of the NY border.

Off The Road Again

This sounds great and I will try to make it up. Not sure where this parking lot is, but will try to figure it out in the next three weeks. Looks like off of Warwick Tpk just south of the NY border.
The lot is right off the park road, from Warwick Tpk, turn right just before the pay booth (no charge this time of year). Overflow parking entrance is just past booth.

Top Bottom