Volunteers Needed: Tourne Adopt-A-Trail Program

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Trailforks is great for reporting trail issues. Many of the JORBA trail managers will look at TF or get notifications when a report is made.
1619101683705.png

kerribeth

Hey everybody,
I'm not sure when Amy Lutsko will be contacting those of us who volunteered with her introduction and instructions on the Adopt-A-Trail program, but in the meantime, I agree with @graveyardman67 that it doesn't hurt to use Trailforks to report issues for other riders. She will definitely have some another mechanism for us to report issues (not Trailforks) which I'm sure she'll explain once we get started.

Thank you to those who have already started cleaning up your adopted trail!

dmkalemba

just cleared some face whackers and leg scratchers along the sides of green. i know it's super wide, but looks like most traffic is at the edge in spots. by the way, it would be a nice place to put switchbacks like on Red... just sayin ;)

kerribeth

Hey everyone,
Amy Lutsko plans to have an Adopt-A-Trail manual ready next week which she'll be sending out those who have volunteered. I told her that several in our group have already started doing maintenance on their adopted trails and she was really happy that there's a lot of enthusiasm already. Great job to everyone who has been active out there!!!

With regards to the proposed new trail, she said she needs to survey it again and is hoping to do that next week. I'm taking that as a good sign that she's spending so much time on it. I'll let you all know as soon as I get any updates on this.

Bleeder

JORBA:President
Hey everybody,
I'm not sure when Amy Lutsko will be contacting those of us who volunteered with her introduction and instructions on the Adopt-A-Trail program, but in the meantime, I agree with @graveyardman67 that it doesn't hurt to use Trailforks to report issues for other riders. She will definitely have some another mechanism for us to report issues (not Trailforks) which I'm sure she'll explain once we get started.

Thank you to those who have already started cleaning up your adopted trail!
Amy is a Trailforks admin for Morris county. She gets a notice of any reports. Kerri did I make you an admin for Tourne? PM me if you would like to be.

Mtbdog

There is a tree across Teal and I'm wondering how we go about getting it removed? Thanks

kerribeth

There is a tree across Teal and I'm wondering how we go about getting it removed? Thanks
Probably the most effective way would be to report it in our Adopt-A-Trail reports with the exact GPS location. Amy will then arrange to remove it.

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Did some trimming today and was thinking about the swamp. The local rock selection is disappointing, using that to extend the bridge is going to be challenging so I thought about plan B. It almost looks like the bridge is catching leaves/debris and damming the flow.

Would it be acceptable to try “draining the swamp” here? Not talking a major excavation just move the debris and clear a path for flow. I know wetlands are always super sensitive so I wanted to run it up the flagpole first.
Dog added for scale.
Thanks!

Attachments

• A237EFAE-8F3C-44D0-9040-EC672903EE29.jpeg
    A237EFAE-8F3C-44D0-9040-EC672903EE29.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 141
  • A9BDAC4D-BCBF-47FC-B5C5-8F705D9B7259.jpeg
    A9BDAC4D-BCBF-47FC-B5C5-8F705D9B7259.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 142

kerribeth

Did some trimming today and was thinking about the swamp. The local rock selection is disappointing, using that to extend the bridge is going to be challenging so I thought about plan B. It almost looks like the bridge is catching leaves/debris and damming the flow.

Would it be acceptable to try “draining the swamp” here? Not talking a major excavation just move the debris and clear a path for flow. I know wetlands are always super sensitive so I wanted to run it up the flagpole first.
Dog added for scale.
Thanks!

Hey @extremedave - I just emailed Amy about this spot asking if she has any concerns with us trying a couple of possible solutions: 1) clear out the leaves/debris from under and around that bridge and 2) adding rocks before and after the bridge. I think for the rock fill-in we'd need to get a hold of a wheelbarrow (maybe someone has one we could borrow) to move rocks from the intersection of the unmarked trail that leads to white. I don't think she'll have a problem, but I agree that it's a good idea to ask just in case. I'll keep you posted on her response.

stilluf

Did a recon of yellow last week. Looked good, no issues. Excited to see those pink flags in the woods!!!!!!
Also, located an old trail west from yellow down to purple. It is not on official map but is on Strava. Looks like mostly unused but did see some signs of activity. Recommend closing it.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions