Volunteer thread: freeze/thaw season closure / gates signage

Good stuff - we'll need some copy that this is sanctioned by NJ Parks -
if it is meant to be displayed as a poster - will need a couple of QR codes.
I threw these together as FB/IG posts to put up on the sites, but yea... I can ad QR codes too if these are going up at the trails.

While searching for sign ideas I found this old post: https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/fundraiser-for-new-trail-signs-stay-off-that-mud.46646/
Just curious if those signs ever made it up and if it helped. I have a feeling once people are parked, have their bikes off the car and see this, they are riding anyway. ("I'll just go around the mud")

Good stuff - we'll need some copy that this is sanctioned by NJ Parks -
if it is meant to be displayed as a poster - will need a couple of QR codes.

No one in the history of earth has ever scanned a QR code*, don't waste your time tbh. I have no idea if my phone that I've had for 3 years even has the ability...it probably does. I just would never use a QR code. The @ is far more effective IMO.

EDIT: *by choice.

Last edited:

Wow. Pre-covid I would have agreed with you, but to make things "non-contact," basically every restaurant switched from giving you physical menus to having a QR code on the table. I was shocked to see that my parents knew how to do it. I mean, it's pretty easy at this point, you don't even need an app anymore. The phone's camera just does it for you.

I threw these together as FB/IG posts to put up on the sites, but yea... I can ad QR codes too if these are going up at the trails.

While searching for sign ideas I found this old post: https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/fundraiser-for-new-trail-signs-stay-off-that-mud.46646/
Just curious if those signs ever made it up and if it helped. I have a feeling once people are parked, have their bikes off the car and see this, they are riding anyway. ("I'll just go around the mud")
The old signs are up and I have a few more still that I will put up this spring. They are a start.

I like the signs that show the muddy ruts. I think the visual there is important.

I also think that the signage should also take on the style of other state park signage so that it looks more official.

QR code’s aren’t hard to add, but i doubt they will see much use.

this one looks pretty official.

06506FF6-EE38-49BF-85F6-A7EAC9B88C45.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow. Pre-covid I would have agreed with you, but to make things "non-contact," basically every restaurant switched from giving you physical menus to having a QR code on the table. I was shocked to see that my parents knew how to do it. I mean, it's pretty easy at this point, you don't even need an app anymore. The phone's camera just does it for you.

Yeah, been doing takeout for the entire year. Wasn't a big dining out couple before either...wasn't a hard transition for us.

I still think it's a waste of space personally. You can force people to do it so they can eat, putting one on a sign is just going to get ignored.

I guess it's not a huge hindrance to the sign. I'd be shocked if someone would use it though

ever made it up and if it helped

Yes - there is a sign at the trailhead of each lot.

I was just looking into solar LED lights to draw attention to them.
Can't find the pic sright now.

I think something simple like this for a QR couldn't hurt. At the trail heads and maybe some along the trails at some of the intersections.
Six Mile 4.jpg
Six Mile 5.jpg

Last edited:
So there are a bunch of stop points for hikers/bikers on the trail. I think a few signs down from the trail head in the woods would help - everyone is all pumped up in the parking lot to get in and ride, and maybe over look the signs at the door?

Jdog,

I was picking the brain of someone who has some relevant prior experience in park policy and their opinion was that spending some effort in establishing an email/text notification system would be very beneficial in proactively alerting folks of closures *before* they arrive rather than after they've already made the trip. The main driver is there is to alert them of the closure before they get geared up and make the long drive because, without such, in many cases, they may decide to just ride/hike anyways since they're already there. Trail head signage is realistically too late to be truly effective for the general public and you can ostensibly avoid a lot of angry park goers in this manner.

If the park is part of D&R, you can broach the subject with the park superintendent of adding a notification under the existing state GovDelivery system in the same fashion that Island Beach SP was done (for closures, parking status, etc). Apparently its fairly trivial since the system is in place and resources are easily added without much beauacracy. The super can escalate it up and it will get handled without her needing to manage it. 6M gets so much traffic for its density its a prime candidate.

From there, going back to the on-site signage issue, it would be really beneficial to compile a list of resources to add to the signage to inform the public of how to get added to the list, method of notification delivery, frequency of notification and any other resources they can check on the fly for current, up to date status (trailforks, MTBNJ.com, etc) and lastly alternatives in case of closure. Again, using IBSP as a benchmark here.

Jdog,

I was picking the brain of someone who has some relevant prior experience in park policy and their opinion was that spending some effort in establishing an email/text notification system would be very beneficial in proactively alerting folks of closures *before* they arrive rather than after they've already made the trip. The main driver is there is to alert them of the closure before they get geared up and make the long drive because, without such, in many cases, they may decide to just ride/hike anyways since they're already there. Trail head signage is realistically too late to be truly effective for the general public and you can ostensibly avoid a lot of angry park goers in this manner.

If the park is part of D&R, you can broach the subject with the park superintendent of adding a notification under the existing state GovDelivery system in the same fashion that Island Beach SP was done (for closures, parking status, etc). Apparently its fairly trivial since the system is in place and resources are easily added without much beauacracy. The super can escalate it up and it will get handled without her needing to manage it. 6M gets so much traffic for its density its a prime candidate.

From there, going back to the on-site signage issue, it would be really beneficial to compile a list of resources to add to the signage to inform the public of how to get added to the list, method of notification delivery, frequency of notification and any other resources they can check on the fly for current, up to date status (trailforks, MTBNJ.com, etc) and lastly alternatives in case of closure. Again, using IBSP as a benchmark here.
i love the idea of the email/text notification. it could then be integrated into signage for new riders to have a way to know when it's good to ride in the future. i check this forum for trail conditions but i would probably sign up for a notification system too if it existed.

of course this assumes good intent and knowledge of the issues. if you don't care it goes back to what others are saying about enforcement. maybe in the middle of winter on a warm day you have someone with ticket writing authority have a picnic in the trail lots and wait for people to come out and write them a ticket (assuming it's clear that the trail is closed). kind of like parking enforcement in princeton lol

The old signs are up and I have a few more still that I will put up this spring. They are a start.

I like the signs that show the muddy ruts. I think the visual there is important.

I also think that the signage should also take on the style of other state park signage so that it looks more official.

QR code’s aren’t hard to add, but i doubt they will see much use.

this one looks pretty official.

View attachment 154118
I can easily put something together like this, also including mud/rut imagery. J, we'll talk.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions