Volunteer thread: freeze/thaw season closure / gates signage

In for help constructing/installing.

can we get a moose?
I will help raise the money for this.

I'm fairly sure he meant 'mousse'...ironically looks very much like mud!
no-bake-vegan-no-dairy-vegetarian-clean-healthy-avocado-chocolate-mousse-food-recipe-elle-blon...jpg

More seriously though, not sure 'education' or 'information' is the problem here as much as some people specifically enjoying riding in muddy conditions, if you can actually call it 'riding' that is.

Heres my local trail entrance with an automated gate:
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 2.20.55 PM.png

I imagine you can exit if you get locked in? Also helps that you can't access this trail from any other place, so one gate is all you need. No where else to park near by either.

Signs are a great first start. However, as others have suggested there needs to be some form of enforcement. Even if it’s initially intense in the beginning and gradually becoming periodic over time, the show of authority spreads fast. I recall perhaps 8 years ago Splitrock began to enforce the no swimming policy after videos surfaced on YouTube showing people jumping off rock outcrops and swimming around. New signs went up, rangers patrolled the shore (they may have handed out fines?) and for the most part that activity ceased and people went elsewhere. I don’t think the patrols are as frequent now but I believe the problem isn’t what it was. Full disclosure: I haven’t been since before COVID so I am not sure if the pandemic changed anything. In any case IMHO education + awareness + enforcement are the keys to mitigating the situation.

not a trail sign per-se, but a model of a couple of features that seem to "legitimize" trail closures...

these are borrowed from fountainhead regional park outside of fairfax VA...superb trail system

* an "official" looking facebook (or similar) page that posts regular updates on trail conditions, and closures. such that, when any asshat is asking if a particular place is open, another asshat can just send them that link. fountainhead's facebook page contact us actually takes you to northern VA park service...would be nice if this page would have the same info on trail closures...

* a phone number one can call for updated trail conditions (not everyone is on facebook)

i've got a buddy who is involved with NJ state parks pretty regularly. i will ask him for some input here as well. he actually did the GPS walking that generated this map!
He missed at least one trail.

Signs are a great first start. However, as others have suggested there needs to be some form of enforcement. Even if it’s initially intense in the beginning and gradually becoming periodic over time, the show of authority spreads fast. I recall perhaps 8 years ago Splitrock began to enforce the no swimming policy after videos surfaced on YouTube showing people jumping off rock outcrops and swimming around. New signs went up, rangers patrolled the shore (they may have handed out fines?) and for the most part that activity ceased and people went elsewhere. I don’t think the patrols are as frequent now but I believe the problem isn’t what it was. Full disclosure: I haven’t been since before COVID so I am not sure if the pandemic changed anything. In any case IMHO education + awareness + enforcement are the keys to mitigating the situation.
I’ve seen State Park Police in the Canal lot before so they do exist. When I saw them it was after they cracked down on parking in the grass up towards the “maintenance” yard. That was covid related to reduce capacity as far as I know. The point is they do show up if they have a reason to.

It seems to me that if this really is a priority to park management and a real problem then one of the 2 park employees should call the State Park Police and request a presence.

I’ve seen State Park Police in the Canal lot before so they do exist. When I saw them it was after they cracked down on parking in the grass up towards the “maintenance” yard. That was covid related to reduce capacity as far as I know. The point is they do show up if they have a reason to.

It seems to me that if this really is a priority to park management and a real problem then one of the 2 park employees should call the State Park Police and request a presence.
Hey Tim,

I sent a letter to the park asking what penalties might exist if someone is to ignore a super fancy TRAIL CLOSED sign.

I sent a letter to the park asking what penalties might exist if someone is to ignore a super fancy TRAIL CLOSED sign.

I read this as it's a $100 fine if you are in a state park when it's closed. Depends on whether the park is officially closed or not I guess.

Page 53.

N.J.A.C. 7:2-2.11(o) Remaining in State Park after closing - Parks $100.00

Good thing Pat deleted my previous comment where I said it was $74, as apparently it's been increased. Urinating, cursing, spitting, unauthorized music, nudity, and setting shit on fire are all still only a $74 fine at least.

However, as others have suggested there needs to be some form of enforcement. Even if it’s initially intense in the beginning and gradually becoming periodic over time, the show of authority spreads fast.
Same with quads. You just need a brief show of force. Word gets out that you can be facing a ticket or impoundment in the case of quads, and most activity will stop in a hurry or the perpetrators will at least think twice. People always complain about a lack of funds. You really just need a few days/year of enforcement activity.

This, then more of this, followed by this.
Signs work on people who give a shit, but it only takes a few shithead bikers to create damage.

View attachment 154106

And one more because I'm clearly bored, and managed to get Gnarly Marly the Six Mile Moose in the picture.

Good stuff - we'll need some copy that this is sanctioned by NJ Parks -
if it is meant to be displayed as a poster - will need a couple of QR codes.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions