Volunteer Day - Sunday November 5th - New Trail

This new trail continues to see progress.

Still tons to do but each day we polish it up a bit more. Thanks to the awesome team out yesterday throwing dirt around.

View attachment 225702View attachment 225703

IMG_0128.JPG

Following up on the scattered rock pic that J posted. At first I was throwing rocks at the end of the berm to add fill. I was planning on just a roller at the end of it. First it should send water down into the low point and not stay in the berm and second it would be fun to ride with a little bit of g-out coming out of the turn.

Half way thru I noticed there was an old rock wall near by and felt it would be neat to have the wall continue into the berm/roller feature. My back is a little smoked from moving the rest of them into place but pretty happy with the outcome. Visually it has an interesting look and I think for the NICA kids it might be a cool feeling going over them (and shouldn't be too scary vs a full on boulder field).

And spiritually maybe it's good juju for the trail to be integrated into an existing feature of the woods :)

IMG_0137.PNG

Screen shot from a self film of the berm and the roller before it. I didn't get all that much linear done yesterday but the short section felt pretty good on the few test runs I did. Before this area @jdog set up some nice roller/grade reversals that once shaped and slapped will give everyone a fun experience.

I'm hoping to be back next Monday and help get more trail done for this great project 👍

We are working on getting a headcount for the workday coming up this Sunday, November 5th. If you are able to attend, please indicate so by clicking on the following link and taking 30 seconds to indicate your plans. Feel free to bring your own tools, just no power tools since we are expecting a large crowd.

What's the over/under on attendance for this Sunday? 60? @KenS is coming up for this event, so I know it will be big!

Tagging a few others that indicated they are interested or planning to attend on Sunday to make sure you see this post. @mattybfat @pooriggy @jdog @iman29 @onetracker

We are working on getting a headcount for the workday coming up this Sunday, November 5th. If you are able to attend, please indicate so by clicking on the following link and taking 30 seconds to indicate your plans. Feel free to bring your own tools, just no power tools since we are expecting a large crowd.

What's the over/under on attendance for this Sunday? 60? @KenS is coming up for this event, so I know it will be big!

Tagging a few others that indicated they are interested or planning to attend on Sunday to make sure you see this post. @mattybfat @pooriggy @jdog @iman29 @onetracker
Just registered. I will bring a couple of hand tools and a bunch of Kate’s Energy Bars for the crew.

Sorry to say I am out @3MTA3 based on my injury. I was looking forward to this as I am betting this is going to be one of the biggest and best TM sessions around.

Hope the weather cooperates and you all have a great day.

No gas or electric-powered tools, please!

Does this include backpack blowers to clear leaves from work zone?

Here are some recent shots.

This should give some reference for what we are aiming for.

Smooth trail tread with few or no small rocks.

Narrowed trail tread to match the natural line that riders are already establishing. We rough cut this route with a mini excavator, in the end it will look like singletrack.

Cut out loose roots and / or any face slappers

Smoothest trail tread possible such that 12yr olds can ride it with speed and confidence

We may have a big turnout so bringing a heavy rake and shovel can be helpful. Make sure to label tools with you name

Safety and fun is the goal here.
Bring food and water as people end up overdoing it when they aren’t used to digging for hours.

IMG_0240.jpeg
IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_0245.jpeg
IMG_0243.jpeg
IMG_4781.jpeg
IMG_0244.jpeg

Last edited:
Just saw an email from Marty's that went out that thanked a bunch of people individually for helping but accidentally omitted our very own @pooriggy who has given 2 full days already and will be there this coming Sunday.

Side note that Iggy was instrumental in making the middle blue reroute at the last CR TM so successful. And of course he's making beavers look bad with the amount of building he's been doing down south of the Mason Dixon line.

Remember to thank your local Iggy next time you see him. Thanks Iggy!

Thanks for the kind words.

I, like others who volunteer, want to give back. While it's nice to be recognized it's not our main focus.

Fortunately I get paid to build trails for the Monmouth County Park System. The hardest part of my job is not building the trails but rather getting volunteers to help me build trails.

Mountain biking is a grass roots thing, this may sound like a 60s hippy term but it really is held together by a bunch of people who want to give back and make trails better for everyone.

As a mtber, your goal should be to attend 3-4 trail sessions a year.

Your time is more valuable then money. You can get more money but you can't get more time. Make the most of your time, make a difference and give back to benefit everyone. 😀

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions