Vintage bike forum??

WJF

1989 Black Lightning

63C17867-DB6C-4424-847B-AC3432484B0A.jpeg
01A65E19-BC82-43C2-BD69-B3A94DCFB5C1.jpeg
530A82A0-7AEE-4FB4-B0EC-9A5B945453BD.jpeg

Last edited:

mwlikesbikes

That system looks painfully inefficient.
It seems like every other year someone comes up with a 2wd bike concept. I don’t really see the advantage of it.

Fire Lord Jim

Here's all I have on the BWA Traxx.
The advantage is supposedly giving traction to the front wheel. And yet, in implementation, there is a lot of friction added to the system. Enough to overcome any advantage. Maybe this is best on sand or snow? There were no fat bikes in 1991. It came with 559 x 1.75 tires, which, I guess, were wide in 1991.

On my cursory first ride—on the lawn!—It was hard to ride any incline. I can't imagine ever getting this off the smallest chainring. Still, having read about these bikes, it is fun to get one in hand, disassemble-reassemble, figuring out how to put a rear wheel into a horizontal dropout when there are gears on both sides. I'm happy I got it. Not sure if I will keep it.

iman29

I’ve seen this thread but never had anything to really add until now.

Found this 1995 Trek Mountain Track 850 at the curb last spring and almost didn’t bring it home until my now 15 year old son went back with me to see it and said wow that’s cool. Brought it home and pumped up the tires and cleaned up the chain a little just to get it going. Tires held air no problem

With advice from here on another thread I opened up the old 7 speed shifter and degunked it and it works perfectly even if I don’t think it’s original.

Today 15 year old took it out for a cruise I added an old water bottle cage I had laying around. It even still had all the original painted cage bolts still intact. Still need to clean it up a bit more and change the chain and scuff the brake pads to improve the braking capability but it works really well.

I’m pretty sure this bike is 95% original and it will be my sons cruise around town and to the basketball court bike so he doesn’t bring the X Caliber 29r for someone to try and swipe. He already all asked to take it to the rail trail too but we will need to swap out the saddle for a better one.

6F715E34-5C87-4D99-83A9-0A1EECDD69AC.jpeg
1DF85973-3F18-495C-82AA-53691107BFB0.jpeg

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Still have my first *real* MTB. A 1994 C'dale Delta-V 500 bought new. The only original items left are frame, fork, and crankset. Its mostly used on my neighborhood trails these days. Its a hoot to ride in the gravel pit.

The bike has morphed a few times. With taller gears and skinnier tires, it was used as a commuter. And after losing several derailuars on my *good* newer bikes while exploring WSF for the MTB trails, it became a SS trail work bike. If you look close at the WSF MTB trail map kiosks, you'll see this bike pictured with its panniers full of trail tools. Also pictured on the trail map kiosk is a young guy they call *Mergs* riding the trail.

If anyone remembers Fairway Cycle (Honda & KTM) in Somers Point. It was their parts manager, Norm Chatiney (sp?) that sparked my interest in MTBs. I bought this C'dale simply because that was what Norm was riding. It was a good choice.

IMG_0434.jpg

Last edited:

pibbles

Still have my first *real* MTB. A 1994 C'dale Delta-V 500 bought new. The only original items left are frame, fork, and crankset. Its mostly used on my neighborhood trails these days. Its a hoot to ride in the gravel pit.

The bike has morphed a few times. With taller gears and skinnier tires, it was used as a commuter. And after losing several derailuars on my *good* newer bikes while exploring WSF for the MTB trails, it became a SS trail work bike. If you look close at the WSF MTB trail map kiosks, you'll see this bike pictured with its panniers full of trail tools. Also pictured on the trail map kiosk is a young guy they call *Mergs* riding the trail.

If anyone remembers Fairway Cycle (Honda & KTM) in Somers Point. It was their parts manager, Norm Chatiney (sp?) that sparked my interest in MTBs. I bought this C'dale simply because that was what Norm was riding. It was a good choice.

View attachment 184471
And on a vintage blackburn sport stand!

Top Bottom