Vertical Earth DH race was Awesome

NJ Jess

Need to get away this weekend, so I decided to head to Blue Mtn Pa. They were to have the Dual Slalom and DH race, but cancelled the DS since they hadn't finish creating the course. No Biggee,..

Practiced the DH with Ellie who was in the beginner class, but sooo fast. We both kept stopping at the 4 foot gap drop. I haven't raced DH in 2 years, did one XC last year,..so just didnt' have the boobs to do it. Met up with 4 other girls doing the race and got them to be social.

It always amazes me how difficult it is to get women racers to talk to each other, but once you do,...they don't stop talking. Okay,.. stop laughing,..its true. The 2 beginners and I went for a run and I coached them on 3 spots they were walking. Okay,..Now they were going to be safe and have even more fun.

Kristen in sport class with me did the drop,..raced the Vertical Earth series last year and won,..so I'll come second to her. Im okay with that,..

hannah and Leslie are experts,..sponsored, race the Gravity East series. Hannah was the women I raced against at the US OPEN 2 years ago and BROKE HER NECK! Wow, couldn't believe she still racing. She was doing the drop and won this years us open DS, 4th in the DH,...she's really good. Leslie seems to be like Missy Glove, fast until she crashes,...got to stop that I tell her.

Im not in it to win it, Im in it to play,..is my motto. I have a race plan of,....just keep pedaling, but easy up to recover for the hairy sections,..dont do the drop, but pedal like hell on the go around.

They SAID we (women) would start just after the pros, but before all the other racers. Well, they Lied,...we waited for 2 hours atop that mountain,...the rain clouds coming closer and closer.

I don't get nervous for XC racing, but for DH I just feel sick in the start house,....beep beep beep,..I took off! (DH BMX start,..I thinking), I pump through with my momentum,..tap rear brake before a wicked series of berms,..pedal pedal pedal the transverse,..in to the woods and down the vert,... (rear brake rear brake,..let go, let go) beat up on the rock garden that follows and shoot out the the next trans,...pedal pedal pedal, into the triple drop section,..speed through the go around with out a thought,...drop in, drop in on the smaller two. Out in the field,..pedal pedal, Dinky Dinky Do Do Dee Do,..pedal faster! Skid into the woods,..then another rock garden,..super log over,..flying,...hit my line. Picking up speed, rear brake skid into the berms and dump the vert drop with wicked speed, BRAKE!, Cut lots o speed (still can't manual this stupid water bar,..help!) Hold it steady through it,..pedal, pedal, pedal, hit the gravel fireroad, leg out Moto style through the turn,..in again,...push deep into the berm and get fugh out around across the tranverse into the last drop vertical,..pedal pedal pedal the the double table tops,..squish it,..FLY the first one and almost the second,..steady the casing and pedaling like Hell to the finish,.....WOW,..that was fun! Haven't felt that good about racing in sooo long,..

Congradulated everyone for finishing safely,..we have the whole summer to get better and enjoy biking,..PinkBike does a Women Racers Photo,..got to go check that out,...
40 minutes later,..post the results,..

Hey Jess,..Ellie says,..you got 409! "So, you calling me a cleaning agent, Ellie?" "Yea, with a 409, you cleaned out everyone,..even the experts!"

I couldn't believe it,...I was the fastest women down the the course with Hannah 20 seconds behind me,..and she did the 4 foot drop! I was so over come,..this couldn't be real. Ive never won a DH race before and haven't won an XC in over 2 years, so I was so surprised. Blue Mt was well worth the drive not just in winning, but the trails are great.

Great job,Its been a 4yr lay off for me with riding-racing DH, you beat me 40+ cat2 4:12.Looking to hit up all the races at Blue.

Awesome write up. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at the race. That course is a fun one. A little bit of everything. Hope to see you up there next time. I had to miss this race unfortunately.

Come out to Blue Mtn.

Good job. Someday I want to try DH.

Carrie

It's worth the drive and there are more beginner DH trail friendly. Way longer runs than Diablo. Nice to say there were numerous people wearing XC gear and on freeride bikes havN a great time also. Hope to see you on the trails!

Thanks everyone! It was really a big memory maker for me.

Last edited:
nj Jess said:
..so just didnt' have the boobs to do it.

haha.

Great writeup. Gmb3 has been saying a lot of good stuff about Blue and his video's make it look like a ton of fun. Nice job on the win and time! We've got some jumps if you ever want to practice for the races.

Back
Top Bottom