Tubeless??

I just ordered the Stan's CX kit and will try to get it set-up on my Bonty Race-Lite wheels, I'm not sure if I'd put it in my PowerTap wheelset just yet. If it works ok I'll do both wheelsets...

-Jim.

Sounds like you like it better than the current setup on my 29er.:hitsfan:

On that note: I'm gonna (or you can?) order the narrow tape (for under the rubber strip) and the yellow tape. One or the other will hopefully do the trick.

I watched all the Stan's Videos on their site and it seems that getting a good amount of bead tension is important to make this deal work. In your case it was too high of a tension. I think that the yellow tape alone might work.

I think I want to give this another try with what you already have first with some fresh eyes.

J_

I watched all the Stan's Videos on their site and it seems that getting a good amount of bead tension is important to make this deal work. In your case it was too high of a tension. I think that the yellow tape alone might work.

I think I want to give this another try with what you already have first with some fresh eyes.

J_
PM sent.

ghetto tubless

hey all
I just set up my 26" fs w/ what is referred to as "ghetto tubeless"
I know this is more towards 29ers but it might help others.
So far I like a lot.here is a video that might help
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=ghetto+tubeless&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

I stopped by Halters a couple of weeks ago (Boston accent) and got 2 new tires
A couple of continental mountain king 2.4 tubeless and a 2.2 non tubeless.
they did not carry Stans so I had to get that somewhere else.
I like the tires better than my kenda nevegals 2.3

the front tire was the 2.4 tubeless followed the video and it was piece of cake. I used a compressor and the tire sealed so tight I don't think I would have needed the Stans.The rear tie was the 2.2 non tubeless again I used a compressor to seat the tire.I had a few small leaks that I was able to seal by shaking the tire around.I definitely like the 2.4 tubeless tire better for this
but both worked fine.

I have been on a few rides and have had no problems I am running at about 45psi I could go lower but this works for me.I have hit jumps 3/5 feet onto the flat took a header over a seesaw and hit a few log crossings along the way with no issues.

bike is a giant reign x2 and I weigh about 275 w/o gear.

hope this helps
Doug

you aren't bouncing around with that pressure???

Not at my weight.:D
I get a lot of sidewall flex.
I am experimenting w/ different tire pressures now.
The pressure of 45psi does make the tire hard and I guess bouncy.
my next ride I will be at 42 psi and then down 1 psi per ride until I get where I want to be.I know the mountain kings have a stiffer sidewall than the Kendas.
What I did not like about the kendas where I had to run a high psi like 50 and use a 2.35 tube or it felt like I was riding a flat.I think w/ the stiffer sidewall and running tubeless I will be able to run at a lower psi.

Last edited:
hey all
I just set up my 26" fs w/ what is referred to as "ghetto tubeless"
I know this is more towards 29ers but it might help others.
So far I like a lot.here is a video that might help
http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&q=ghetto+tubeless&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title#

I stopped by Halters a couple of weeks ago (Boston accent) and got 2 new tires
A couple of continental mountain king 2.4 tubeless and a 2.2 non tubeless.
they did not carry Stans so I had to get that somewhere else.

Yo!

Got plenty O stan's sealant now..

Sorry I was out.

J_

Did you hit up the packy on the way home
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

man I miss my wicked pissa packy stores.:D

Jdog
I was under the impression you did not carry it in your store.
not that you were out of stock.

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

man I miss my wicked pissa packy stores.:D

Jdog
I was under the impression you did not carry it in your store.
not that you were out of stock.

Yeah.. sorta..

I just ordered over $1000 in Stan's kits and sealant. So as of today I am a big dealer.

The trouble with the system is that you need to follow the directions to get a good seal.

I am fearful of selling this to someone and having a bad result.

j-

Yeah.. I went big. I figured since I am so late to this party I might as well go for it.

j-

You know...I was gonna give you grief about this last week. I was forced to go to another store over the summer to pick up a big thing of Stan's sealant. Now you have 5 jugs on the shelf.

Why don't you buy $1000 worth of Cytomax Peachy Keen and I won't ever have to go to another store. ;)

Last edited:
Jay, you've mentioned before how things slow down in winter. And you mention above how you're a bit concerned about selling kits to noobs. How about having a few Beginner's Wrench Days. Maybe charge a tenner or whatever for the lesson and have some simple classes like:
-Installing tubeless tyres and sealant/changing a flat
-setting up a derailleur
-setting up suspension

And I don't know what else but I'm sure you and Chris can borg your heads together to come up with short classes answering the questions you get the most.

You can then flog loads of merchandise afterwards too.

You may even get guest teachers from this forum, like the guest Hooligan Series ride leaders...

Jay, you've mentioned before how things slow down in winter. And you mention above how you're a bit concerned about selling kits to noobs. How about having a few Beginner's Wrench Days. Maybe charge a tenner or whatever for the lesson and have some simple classes like:
-Installing tubeless tyres and sealant/changing a flat
-setting up a derailleur
-setting up suspension

And I don't know what else but I'm sure you and Chris can borg your heads together to come up with short classes answering the questions you get the most.

You can then flog loads of merchandise afterwards too.

You may even get guest teachers from this forum, like the guest Hooligan Series ride leaders...

great idea. I'd be into this! Especially a going tubeless class.

I'm in desperate need of new tires and would like to make them tubeless as well. I'm late to the party, also.

Btw, I'm sure I'd spend $$ on a bunch of items. I never seem to be able just to pick up what I need.

Back
Top Bottom