Tubeless 29er

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
So now that we have decided that 29ers are" So HOT RIGHT NOW".. The next sort of obvious question is what rim / tire /sealant combos have you tried w or w/o sucess???

I was just checking the Stan's No Tubes site and while they have a few rims that they say will work, they only have a few approved tires:

"29inch Mountain Bike Tires
Recommended:
NoTubes Crow 29er
Any tubeless ready tire.
WTB 29'er (wire bead only)
Any wire beaded tire "

Who wants to run a wire beaded tire??

I am sure that there will be a bunch of UST 29er tires in the short term. I personally prefer going with a tire that has sidewalls made for tubeless but some of you are more brave.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I remember someone running the Crow last year at Kittatinny. Damn near bald, that tire was.

I intend to run tubeless on the 29er and will only use tubeless/UST tires.

BadLine

Currently running kevlar bead wtb tires on Stans 29er 355 rims. No problems yet. That is all I am saying. I don't like talking about this sort of stuff it is bad juju.

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
right now I have a schwalbe little albert on the rear of a bontrager rim with Stan's olympic tape and a Panaracer Rampage up front all stans up too. They sealed up right away, but I am being cautious with tire pressure, especially up front.

jdog

Shop Keep
Loose beads sink..

Those rampages seem to have a very loose bead dia. They just about fall on a rim. Be careful with that one!

Just to make this a bit more fun.. Stan's is now saying that ANY clincher road wheel can be run tubeless with the Hutchinson tubeless road tire.

I have the DA wheels that are tubeless and they ride great.

I am thinking of doing this conversion on my R-sys wheels.

http://www.notubes.com/product_info.php/products_id/416

BTW.. I have had very poor luck with the customer service guys at Stan's. They basically demoralize you for not knowing their product.

I have called with compatibility questions and they tell you to refer to their website and not bug them. I told the guy that I didn't use the Internet. That didn't smooth out the conversation much..

In their defense, they do have good video clips on their site.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have called with compatibility questions and they tell you to refer to their website and not bug them. I told the guy that I didn't use the Internet. That didn't smooth out the conversation much..

Tell him you're blind. That shit works great on telemarketers too.

What are the UST options for 29ers? I'm in the ChrisG boat (my side is deeper in the water because I'm a fatso).

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
BTW.. I have had very poor luck with the customer service guys at Stan's. They basically demoralize you for not knowing their product.

i know for a fact that you're not the only shop owner on this site that has had issues with them stans. or the actual 'stan' for that matter.

jdog

Shop Keep
i know for a fact that you're not the only shop owner on this site that has had issues with them Stan's. or the actual 'stan' for that matter.

I am glad to hear it. The only company that is harder to deal with on the phone is Campy. I don't even call them any more.

I wish that someone else would make a sealant. Their rims are not anything super either. They seem to have brainwashed quite a few people though.

These guys make a sealant too but they have really bad reviews on MTBR.

http://www.truegoo.com/

jbogner

NYCMTB: President
JORBA.ORG
What are the UST options for 29ers? I'm in the ChrisG boat (my side is deeper in the water because I'm a fatso).

Hutchison Python.

Bontrager offers the Dry-X TLR and Jones ACX TLR which have a UST-style bead on a regular casing tire for use with sealant.

One of the WMBA guys, MTV, is a research chemist and developed his own sealant that he claims far outperforms Stans, and doesn't eat tires. I've been meaning to hit him up for some...

jdog

Shop Keep
Hutchison Python.

Bontrager offers the Dry-X TLR and Jones ACX TLR which have a UST-style bead on a regular casing tire for use with sealant.

One of the WMBA guys, MTV, is a research chemist and developed his own sealant that he claims far outperforms Stans, and doesn't eat tires. I've been meaning to hit him up for some...

The Python has been the only tire I have been selling tubeless since I know I can trust it on a Crossmax.

The funny thing about Stan's is that while the guys at Hutchinson specifically told me never to put Stan's in their tires, Stan's of course says that Hutchinson has approved the use of their sealant. This is a point of contention with the Stan's folks. Most of the tire makers will not warranty a tire if you have put Stan's in it.

BTW Hutchinson will have the toro in UST Tubeless ready 29 by mid Summer. It will look like this:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/large_image.php?id=21709

CycleBoy

Sussex Bike and Sport
Shop Keep
The Python has been the only tire I have been selling tubeless since I know I can trust it on a Crossmax.

The funny thing about Stan's is that while the guys at Hutchinson specifically told me never to put Stan's in their tires, Stan's of course says that Hutchinson has approved the use of their sealant. This is a point of contention with the Stan's folks. Most of the tire makers will not warranty a tire if you have put Stan's in it.

BTW Hutchinson will have the toro in UST Tubeless ready 29 by mid Summer. It will look like this:

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/large_image.php?id=21709

J, I went through the same thing. It all came about because a customer had a blowout on a tubeless hutchinson using stan's. When we took the tire off, the inside of the tire was eaten away. The stan's was just eating at the compound. We called hutchinson and they said it had to do with an antifreeze agent used in stans and just use their sealant. Well, this year at interbike, I talked to stan and he said there was no issue whatsoever using stan's in hutchinson. All I know is I saw what happens.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
great, so in return for lighter weight, we get burping, blowouts and goo that eats tires (and who knows what else). sweet. tubes are still sounding pretty good. you can run tubed tires on the crossmax 29ers right?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
great, so in return for lighter weight, we get burping, blowouts and goo that eats tires (and who knows what else). sweet. tubes are still sounding pretty good. you can run tubed tires on the crossmax 29ers right?

Jake, just remember that UST and tubeless are not synonymous. Stans is all about taking a non-UST tire and making it tubeless. I use no sealant on my UST tires. Just UST rim and UST tire and it's been good thus far.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
wow, i learned something today. thanks norm!

ok, so UST doesn't equal tubeless. can you explain to me the difference or provide me with the wiki link you're going to pass off as your own? :D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I invented the Internet, so it's all mine.

UST tires are intended to be run w/o tubes, on UST rims. They have thicker sidewalls and a tighter bead so they don't fall off. I ran the Hutchinson Pythons on Mavic (I think) 819s which are UST rims. I used soapy water to help them seal and they took all of 10 minutes to mount.

Stans thing is that they take any tire and put them on UST rims. You apparently need to put goo in, mount them, rotate them, wine them, dine them, tell them you love them, and in 24 hours or 5 days or something, they apparently work. The goo is supposed to help with any punctures. I've never done this so it's kind of a WAG.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Stans thing is that they take any tire and put them on UST rims. You apparently need to put goo in, mount them, rotate them, wine them, dine them, tell them you love them, and in 24 hours or 5 days or something, they apparently work. The goo is supposed to help with any punctures. I've never done this so it's kind of a WAG.
Stan's goes the other way as well, which is what I've been running: UST tires on non-UST rims. I'm using Pythons and Hutchinson goo on Mavic 517s with Stan's strips and have been thrilled with the results.

The Kalmyk

Jake, just remember that UST and tubeless are not synonymous. Stans is all about taking a non-UST tire and making it tubeless. I use no sealant on my UST tires. Just UST rim and UST tire and it's been good thus far.

Unfortunetely there is not a big selection of UST tire available in 29 inches

Last edited:
Top Bottom