Travel tips for Whistler, BC?

I don't have any real advice to offer, but I made the trip out there in 2010 right before the Olympics for snowboarding and can share some experience.

We flew into Seattle then took a pretty large (i'd guess 25+ passenger) prop plan into Vancouver. It was a quick 45 minute-ish flight. From there Whistler was a good 2 hours north by car. I'd imagine there are some buses or shuttle services available. I was with a decent size group so we split a limo.

The whistler and blackcomb villages are huge. I don't know if they keep everything open all year round, but given the selection of lodging options I couldn't imagine staying anywhere other than right on the mountain in one of the hotels. Whistler village was bigger and generally had more going on, the two base areas are about a 10 minute walk from eachother so if you are getting around by bike I don't think staying at either would be an issue.

There was a spot in Whistler village that made Mongolian? food in a giant wok. Wood recommend if its still there. Make sure you take a trip on the peak to peak gondola.

- Fly into Vancouver, there is usually a 6AM flight out of Newark that will fly direct and put you there at 10:30 PCT (direct flight is usually around $700, but can be had for $550), figure an additional $100 - $200 to bring a bike, most flights are Air Cananda.

Call these guys for a shuttle:
http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/re...ort-Transfers/mg_129/v_3938/Ridebooker.detail

- Shuttle is a 2 hour drive and is in clean Sprinter vans, they can haul a bike and usually charge a few more dollars for this, let them know in advance. Coming back, they do runs to the airport leaving Whistler at 5AM to 9PM or so at night. The service is clean, prompt, and friendly. They had us there by 1PM, I was on the hill at 2:15. Figure $130 round trip w/o bike.

- Hotel - I stay at Aava, it is very bike friendly, they have an indoor and outdoor bike shop and provide tools for you to wrench on (as well as free GoPro rentals). I would rate it 4*, the best part is it is just out of the village (100 yard walk). This makes it quite at night so you can sleep. If you stay in the village, the party goes on all night (like 3AM late with most hotels built on tops of the bars, it gets very noisy). The lift is maybe a 1/4 mile away, you walk through the village to get there, which is awesome. Figure $110 USD a night for a two person room. They have a hot tub, pool, and laundry service (and washing machines, huge plus in wet/heat). You can check a bike there at their private storage (an attendant must get your bike, huge plus). This is the hotel shown in the movie "Arrival" during the Whistler segment. Cannot stress how Bike friendly this hotel is.

- Rentals - What do you want to rent? If you are planning for this year, it may be sparse as they book up fast, but check around. I have had good luck with Finatik and Evoltion, which are right in the village and on your way to the lift. Evolution is a small shop, but real cool, the owner of Chromag previous ran this shop, it is also where Tyler Moreland used to wrench. Make sure you purchase insurance on the bikes. WBP can be tough on bikes.

- Trip Dates - Top of the Wrold usually opens the 2nd week of July, try to be up there for that, it is worth the $15 ticket.

- Food - I love Ingreds, cool deli, open for breakfast and lunch with vegan and veggie options. Their baked goods are the bees knees.

Also, there is a very good grocery store in the center of the village, so you can load up on food for the trail as well as dinner to cut costs.

Best trip I have been on, have fun and let me know if you have other questions!

Last edited:
Pretty much what Johnny Utah said.... I flew into Vancouver and took the 2 hour shuttle to Whistler Village. That's pretty much the way you have to go as far as I'm concerned . We stayed at the Pan Pacific Mountainside which was awesome and had the Dub Linn Inn as the attached bar/ restaurant . Wherever you stay , it should be great - enjoy! I know I did - trip of my lifetime so far !!

Ben,

Not sure if you're in touch with any locals but I have a friend who lives in WA and travels to Whistler on the regular to teach clinics. His name is Simon Lawton (simon at fluidride.com), and he owns Fluidride.com. He's a super cool guy and you guys have a lot in common, age, skills, ex-pro rider etc... I'm sure he won't mind giving you some input, both about the park and where to stay.

He'll be at Whistler every weekend in July holding clinics. Tell him Manny from videotrailreviews.com recommended you reach out to him.

Last edited:
Hey Ben I have a friend who lives in whistler , he is a permanent resident ski instructor in the winter and works at the down hill MTb area . He has a nice life . I can put you in touch with him , he hAs been trying to get me out there to try down hill for a few years now . I just am not reall intereated . He will defiantly help you out if needed .

... I have a friend who lives in WA and travels to Whistler on the regular to teach clinics. His name is Simon Lawton (simon at fluidride.com), and he owns Fluidride.com.

I'm trying to make plans to do one of Simon's clinics. That is fueling my visit. He and i do have stuff in common buy he is better than me at ALL of them.

Thanks all for the advice so far. Just trying to make the most if my visit with fewer newb mistakes.

Thanks all for the tips. The FluidRide clinic is booked. I started using Expedia for the travel plans but when I came back here and saw the link to Blackcomb. They provided better and easier package options. The Aava was all booked so I'll be at the Listel Hotel. First time out there so I'm just going with the flow of stuff. Not really concerned about making things perfect. I'll learn plenty for next time.

Last edited:
Bike is packed. I fly out early Tuesday.

This photo was from a trial fit the other night. Removed the fork spring to compress the fork. She just fits. I took the rotors off as I feared they may get bent. Added my tools and other stuff and that part of my packing is ready to go.

In a few hours you will be in heaven.

Check this place out for breakfast/lunch. It is right in the Village by the grocery store. Don't worry, they serve meat too.

Their sandwiches and breakfast are second to none up there. Try a brownie if you are feeling frisky.

http://www.ingridswhistler.com/gallery.htm

If Whistler Brewing's grapefruit beer is on tap, give it a go after a hot ride.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom