Trail Conditions?

I don't know how good Sourlands is going to be. I was just there and it is a disaster. I have to hose down my pants and boots, and the dog, let's put it that way. Tomorrow is supposed to be 50* so I can't imagine it'll be good for the weekend.
I was at CR Tuesday (okay maybe this unemployment thing isn't so bad) and there are tons of tire ruts. Although the thaw will smooth those out I would imagine.
I think I'll be on the road.

I just got got back from eastern LI, and there is NO snow west of the Hudson.

Need trail info: Bike Hampton in Sag Harbor #(631) 725-7329

Wow did you ride Northwest Woods? There are so many good trail rides in Sag harbor/East Hampton/Montauk, let alone the awesome road riding. I am jealous!

Wow did you ride Northwest Woods? There are so many good trail rides in Sag harbor/East Hampton/Montauk, let alone the awesome road riding. I am jealous!

No I was out there on other business. No riding for me today :(

I may need to go back out in a few days and was contemplating bringing bikes and mr pixy for some riding. I have not ridden the trails out there in over 10 years.

anything in the mercer county area is going to be a swamp. With a high of almost 60 yesterday and around 40 today, everything that was cement solid on monday/tuesday is now a foot of mud.

If you will get even a few hours to ride you MUST bring bikes and hit either Northwest Woods or Hither Hills. NW woods is a bit easier to get lost, I would drive the extra few miles to HH. If you can get a ocal guide the trails in and around NW woods are better than HH in my opinion, but HH kills it in scenery.

I am sure Bikehampton can hook you up with a map, park at the overlook. You can continue on to the lighthouse on the road after hitting the singletrack. Just head east for the lighthouse, west to go back to the car. Stop by Ditch Plains and ride the cliffs on the way, fun fun.

Some pics, click for larger:

Fort Pond Bay, the Hither Hills singletrack skirts it

Parking area for HH

Cliffside singletrack, Ditch Plains

My bud Chris on some East Hampton singletrack, one of my fav mtb pics to date

Heartshorne is Good

I did a road ride today from the Heartshorne parking lot. Super crazy headwinds with about waist high surf. Would have been a nice day without the wind. I was too tired to go into the trails when I got back but talked to some of the hikers and they said it is fine. Even their dogs were clean. With the cold temps this weekend it should be fast. I'm looking forward to it.

Hey Ken, how long of a ride is it out to those places?

About 3.5 hours from my house to Montauk. Use this in google maps for your directions to the overlook: Montauk Hwy/Pow/Mia Memorial Hwy/RT-27 @41.011899, -72.012026

Its probably not worth the drive just for the singletrack, since there is much better stuff much closer. If you combine it with fishing, camping or even a day trip to sight see and hit up a restaurant or something its totally worth it. If you are going to be out there for business its a total no brainer.

No I was out there on other business. No riding for me today :(

I may need to go back out in a few days and was contemplating bringing bikes and mr pixy for some riding. I have not ridden the trails out there in over 10 years.

I have ridden out there a bunch, here are a couple of gps tracks if you want

starting at cyclepath bikes in wainscott and riding up towards cedar point in northwest woods:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2270067

from bottom of 3 mile harbor out towards amagansett
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3598099

these include road sections as i was riding to/from from the places I was staying

the riding isnt very technical, but it is a lot of fun.

the hiking/biking trail map available in all the bike stores is pretty good - you can actually ride on trails from cyclepath in wainscott all the way out to hither hills in montauk. (although the "old montauk highway" section along the napeague stretch is very sandy and brutal in the summer, when you get stuck pushing your bike through a couple miles of sand dunes while the bugs attack...)

winter is my favorite time to ride out there, as there is no bugs and the sand firms up. definitely bring the bikes if you can!

I have ridden out there a bunch, here are a couple of gps tracks if you want

starting at cyclepath bikes in wainscott and riding up towards cedar point in northwest woods:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2270067

from bottom of 3 mile harbor out towards amagansett
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/3598099

these include road sections as i was riding to/from from the places I was staying

the riding isnt very technical, but it is a lot of fun.

the hiking/biking trail map available in all the bike stores is pretty good - you can actually ride on trails from cyclepath in wainscott all the way out to hither hills in montauk. (although the "old montauk highway" section along the napeague stretch is very sandy and brutal in the summer, when you get stuck pushing your bike through a couple miles of sand dunes while the bugs attack...)

winter is my favorite time to ride out there, as there is no bugs and the sand firms up. definitely bring the bikes if you can!

Nice routes! That section near the airport/power lines is a little-known east end gem. You did miss a good amount of trail up near Cedar Point Park, I assume that was your plan though since you headed out toward maidstone. There is a trail that you can connect all the way to Cedar Pond and then to the Point, great place to stop for lunch then head back down to Amagansett or wherever you started.

Thanks for the tips. This is a big help. My biggest problem is that I am always on the north fork near Cutchogue, and getting to all the stuff on the south fork takes over an hour by car. I end up just road riding in the summer. Do you know of any decent mountain biking closer to the north side?

How about Sprain

Some good friends have been riding there all winter. Since it is higher than coast it is well drained. 15 miles of trail, I hear.

Thanks for the tips. This is a big help. My biggest problem is that I am always on the north fork near Cutchogue, and getting to all the stuff on the south fork takes over an hour by car. I end up just road riding in the summer. Do you know of any decent mountain biking closer to the north side?

Take the shelter island ferry across by bike. Cutchogue>Greenport>North Ferry>Island Road Ride>South Ferry>Sag Harbor>Trails>Turn Around go back :D

Orrrrrrrrr, go ride Shoreham, one of my fav LI trails: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=Cutchogue,+NY&daddr=Shoreham+Wading+River+High+School,+250+RT-25A,+Brookhaven,+Suffolk,+New+York,+United+States&mra=pe&mrcr=0&sll=42.393255,-72.927546&sspn=2.98573,5.108643&ie=UTF8&z=11

Blue Mountain

Anyone have abny idea what the conditions will be like there tomorrow morning/this weekend? Is there still snow or ice on the ground there?

Thanks!

Anyone have abny idea what the conditions will be like there tomorrow morning/this weekend? Is there still snow or ice on the ground there?

Thanks!

here's an update from the newburgh, ny area (i'm working up in newburgh today - pretty area, but this 90+ mile commute f'ing blows)

there's still snow in the woods, but it is definitely thinning out some from earlier in the week. some of the faces of the mountains that get sun have much less snow on them than the shaded areas. given the milder/sunnier day today, i think a lot more snow will clear out on the exposed faces.

i still think if the temps drop, early early sunday morning rides are the way to go. i'm pulling my bike out of the storage unit saturday so i can get some pre-sunrise miles in.

stb222 - i was thinking about it, and i think i'm gonna skip the sourlands this weekend... i want to put in a couple more miles than what the sourlands has to offer this weekend... so i'm heading a little further north.

Let's put a positive spin on this, aside from the roads what trails are rideable this weekend?

Thanks for the pics of the trails up in Montauk, I love riding there. The Hither Hills trails along the water are great in the summer - beautiful riding in a beautiful place. I've got a friend planning to do a 145 mile ride from Midtown to the tip of Montauk in June..it's an organized ride, don't know what it is called. Does anyone know?

Isn't that the Montauk century. The "real" century starts on Long Island somewhere but then some hardcore guys start from Manhattan super early and then join the main tribe along the 100mile route.

I thought I read that there were two Montauk Centurys; the original and then a breakaway guy who helped put together the original but thought it'd lost its karma and started his own up. Of course that likely doesn't help you much though.

I'd love to do the century ride if anyone else is up for it.

Allaire today!!!!

I'm going Allaire all weekend I think. Can't wait. I was there today, other than that first entry trail being soft (as usual), the whole topside has drained very well. Don't go to the lower areas though, they're still really soft....... HOWEVER, the cold tonight might have the soft stuff frozen up real well. My bike is still really clean after my ride today, did like 14 miles.

Back
Top Bottom