Trail Conditions?

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I'm going Allaire all weekend I think. Can't wait. I was there today, other than that first entry trail being soft (as usual), the whole topside has drained very well. Don't go to the lower areas though, they're still really soft....... HOWEVER, the cold tonight might have the soft stuff frozen up real well. My bike is still really clean after my ride today, did like 14 miles.

I think I saw you leaving the lot when I was getting ready, big green frame with a black rigid fork? I was the black truck with the 2 rats.

Trails were awesome today, should be a real nice weekend for Allaire.

de00304

Nice routes! That section near the airport/power lines is a little-known east end gem. You did miss a good amount of trail up near Cedar Point Park, I assume that was your plan though since you headed out toward maidstone. There is a trail that you can connect all the way to Cedar Pond and then to the Point, great place to stop for lunch then head back down to Amagansett or wherever you started.

yup, thx, i have ridden the trails up to the point, but not that day. I usually rent places around maidstone so i was heading back.

I actually like putting those two rides together (ride from cyclepath up to the point, then back down to 3 mile and across into the trails over to amagansett). also hither hills is really nice...

de00304

Isn't that the Montauk century. The "real" century starts on Long Island somewhere but then some hardcore guys start from Manhattan super early and then join the main tribe along the 100mile route.

I thought I read that there were two Montauk Centurys; the original and then a breakaway guy who helped put together the original but thought it'd lost its karma and started his own up. Of course that likely doesn't help you much though.

I'd love to do the century ride if anyone else is up for it.

i have ridden the 100 mile the last couple of years. this was the route in 2007:
http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2803407

they have a 145 mile option (start pedaling in manhattan and ride to montauk); a 100 mile option (start pedaling in babylon and ride to montauk); and a 66 mile option (put your bike in a van in babylon and get on train, then meet van 33 miles closer and pedal to montauk).

its a well organized ride, and pretty flat. great if the wind blows west to east, and hell if its coming the other way ;-)

this is the 5bbc official ride site
http://www.5bbc.org/montauk/

and this is the one by the "breakaway" dude:
http://www.ridetomontauk.com/?gclid=CNqzisWox5ECFRoHQQodWnRbzQ

i usually have someone drop me off in babylon and then meet me at the finish line. however i have driven myself to babylon, parked the car, did the ride, and then taken the train back to babylon and driven home. doing it that way is a long day...

D

DANSPANK

I think my plan would be to head from Babylon and meet up with a special lady in Montauk (special lady position currently available), spend the night and come back the next day or two. Perhaps I could have the special lady take my mountain bike and hit some of the single track up there the next day.

Spartacus

There is also the "montauk we hope" Ride

starts in setauket thru the north shore. Then a ferry ride to shelter island.....then to sag harbor south to the hamptons then to montauk.

Nice ride and the party at the end is kickin. Clam bake at hither hills.............totally ossum !

http://www.montaukwehope.org/

click the pic to see the photo gallery.

Some how they managed to get me in quite a bit of the pics...............Yikes!

I am a big fat turd..............Ick

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Wow, lots of LI talk here. We probably should start a new thread.

mr pixy and i do our own century in the summer. I see the marks on the road when doing it, so some of the route may be the same with some organized ride, but not sure which one. We usually do a 6:00 am time trial from Cutchogue to Greenport ferry. meet the Bike Hampton ride on shelter for 25. Back to the shop for breakfast and visit, then proceed around Peconic bay to wrap up the 100, usually Memorial day weekend.

Maybe I can combine it with a Jorba atb group ride some time. Any interest?

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Wow, lots of LI talk here. We probably should start a new thread.

mr pixy and i do our own century in the summer. I see the marks on the road when doing it, so some of the route may be the same with some organized ride, but not sure which one. We usually do a 6:00 am time trial from Cutchogue to Greenport ferry. meet the Bike Hampton ride on shelter for 25. Back to the shop for breakfast and visit, then proceed around Peconic bay to wrap up the 100, usually Memorial day weekend.

Maybe I can combine it with a Jorba atb group ride some time. Any interest?

Very interested, try to get some details together and throw some dates around. Separate thread for sure :)

dualfisted

Yo Ken

That was me. Tough to miss that super tall Stumpjumper, eh??? The groms look like they were ready to start bombin' stuff. Gettin' the one into it real early, nice. I was pleasantly surprised with the trail conditions there today, my bike is still purty, ha.

Nimrod

Anyone have abny idea what the conditions will be like there tomorrow morning/this weekend? Is there still snow or ice on the ground there?

Thanks!

No Snow, no ice.

Yesterday a bunch of us Bagged work for an 11am ride at East Setauket (Most of us went back):mad: It was a "little mushy" in couple of spots here and there, not bad. Saturday will be good (its 26 here now), Sunday even better:)

Your turn = I wanna do Ringwood Sunday;)
Conditions please?

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
LM and points North

i just took a stroll through about a mile or so of trails at LM and these are my findings:

packed snow and ice. lots of ice. PP is pretty much a skating rink. it was soft in a few places that the sun was hitting but for the most part snow covered. it'll all freeze up tonight for sure. based on that, i'd have to assume that the other northern parks are about the same. i did see a couple of tracks in the snow but really, nothing else.

the net-net is, i would say that if you don't have spikes don't even bother.

i'm mounting my nokians up today for an 'if the stars align and my kids sleep' ride at LM at 7am-ish.

de00304

allamuchy waterloo report

Rode allamuchy waterloo side this morning. I did the red trail (going right at the first fork) to white then back to red. The railtrail out to the start of the red is very icy, but the trails themselves are rideable, with about 75% snow covered with about 2" of hard snow. I was floating on top of the frozen snow about 1/2 the time, and breaking through the rest of the time, with the occasional short section of ice that had to be walked (I was not using studded tires).

Temp was around 25. I was laying down fresh bike tracks over just one set of hiking footprints. Should remain good for tomorrow morning, but will get sloppy once the temps start rising Sunday afternoon.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for the reports guys. Sounds like Allaire for me.

F

FallGirl1430

Trail Conditions ...

I'm wondering how Allaire would be tomorrow early afternoon?
My forks never came today so we are going back to NJ,

Fallgirl ... :)

graveyardman67

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i did see a couple of tracks in the snow but really, nothing else.

That would be me and the porpoise! I do concur, snow, ice, snow, more ice then some snow and a little mud. Spikes, baaaaah! Get your game on, figure out how to pedal and use some balance skills.

I would go in the am but I have to do my "tests" tomorrow. I have a date with my new fangled watt meter and a chunk of carbon: then I have to watch the wife kick the crap out of someone at a Thai Kwan Do thing.... Warmup for comabt at the Capitale http://www.louneglia.com/upcoming_recent.shtml
Still waiting for the date.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
That would be me and the porpoise! I do concur, snow, ice, snow, more ice then some snow and little mud. Spikes, baaaaah! Get your game on, figure out how to pedal and use some balance skills.

I would go in the am but I have to do my "tests" tomorrow. That new fangled watt meter has been scheduled for Sundays ride.

what time were you there? thanks for calling. :(

lou_b_83

Went to Ringwood yesterday. It was a glacier. But there was a lot of fun spots to ride on the hard snow and not ice.

Top Bottom