Traffic ticket for bike rack

It's a rather ticky tack ticket to get but just pay it, its 50 bucks and no points. You likely pissed off the officer doing something else.

I was pulled over once, and the officer told me that "if he really wanted to break my balls he would give me a ticket because my bike rack was obstructing my plate"

Thankfully i didnt get a ticket, but i believe it would have been unreasonable anyway. I'm not going to court over 50 bucks in either case. They know that, and thats why they can get away with it.

Why does the ecu fail you?

Something with the chip. I had my O2 Sensor replaced and the check engine light reset, but now when they plug it in at DMV it says it's "not ready". The guy who did the car said to drive it a bunch and let it go through some drive cycles and then bring it back so he can plug it back in and make it "ready". Then it'll pass. It'll take me 2 months to go through a normal drive cycle though :hmmm:

-Jim.

Well,

The trooper would most likely be in court or "available" for a trial if needed. If he/she is scheduled to work, then will usually just call the prosecutor with their case info and come in if needed. If the trooper has the day off, they get OT for coming in. Either way the court will virtually always grant adjournments to the troopers because they could be tied up with a call or whatever. The trooper does NOT want the case dismissed for lack of prosecution, because he/she gets jammed up for that from the NJSP.
This ticket cannot be reduced and is unlikely to be dismissed. A trial could go either way depending on the judge, but remember the issuing trooper can issue tickets in any town he wants, and probably chooses where he issues at least partially because he likes the judge/court.

hope this helps

Sorry you got this ticket.It seems maybe he gave you this ticket for "failing to stay right except to pass".So in his eyes he let you go lightly.I believe this law "stay right except to pass" should be more widely enforced in this state.Too many drivers I believe are unaware of this law in NJ.Anytime I head up to Vermont on the Thruway most drivers stay right.They must enforce the law on this highway.Because it is a very heavily traveled road, yet is only 2 lanes and minimal traffic considering the facts.

Sure. We need more police cars playing games with other drivers possibly making them nervous and causing them to make a mistake. Not everyone out there is a hardened urban driver. How about the police officer either pulls them over and cites or corrects them or lay off their bumper.

If you are not a "hardened urban driver" doing 70 or better, maybe stay out of the left lane.I'm not about to tell an officer how to do his/her job.But you are correct, maybe he could have actualy taken the 2-3 minutes it would have taken to let the driver know their fault.

Just out of curiosity, how do I take an exit from the left lane such as continuing on I-280 from I-80 Eastbound without holding you up?

This left lane complaint peeves me. I understand the reasoning but people also have to be patient. I'm as competent and aware as any driver out there but I don't drive as fast as others. Sometimes, I go to pass someone in the left lane and I get hung out there (maybe a gap closes or the driver speeds up). I'm trying to work my way back to the right and some goofball comes up and rides my ass. That's not right no matter how you interpret the law.

Fight it. Car manufacturer put the plate mount and hitch mount in a specific location. NJDMV has regulations as to where you can put your plate. Cop was being a dick giving a bofus ticket like that. Or just be a sheep and pay it.

No point in fighting it , you will lose. Anything that is " obstructing " the view for the officer will warrant you a ticket . Just like tinted plate covers are illegal as well .

Im sorry but my time is not worth wasting HOURS in a court room hoping your going to get it dropped and the trip to the court house. What will suck is if you end up having to pay the ticket plus court fees lol and then half a day is wasted too , plus gas. That would be the ultimate fail. Seriously , its only 50 bucks if that .

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I think it's worth $54 every 3+ years to not have to constantly take-off/put-on the rack; plus it sounds like it's good to have something that lets the police officer give you "an out" if you initially get pulled over for something else.

A buncha years ago I was pulled over on the parkway for speeding. It was late, I was by myself, I think I was coming home from my sisters on LBI. Anyway, I was doing like 90 or some shit, trooper pulls me over asks if I was driking etc. Saw I had a CDL and asked me who I drove for and I told him and mentioned that I have 0 points and like a bunch of safe driving awards :rolleyes: blah blah blah.

Dudeman comes back with a seat belt ticket, tells me to slow down and have a nice night.

I was wearing my seatbelt like I always do.

Lesson here- pick your battle wisely, the bike rack ticket probably was your "out".

Not everyone out there is a hardened urban driver. How about the police officer either pulls them over and cites or corrects them or lay off their bumper.

True, the situation would have been better served if the cop actually made the stop. However the driver knew something was up because there was about 1/2 a second between the cop lighting him up and the driver hitting the right blinker, which means he knew the cop was there.

If you are not a "hardened urban driver" doing 70 or better, maybe stay out of the left lane.I'm not about to tell an officer how to do his/her job.But you are correct, maybe he could have actualy taken the 2-3 minutes it would have taken to let the driver know their fault.

I agree with this, don't drive in the fast lane if you don't have the nerves to keep up with it.

Just out of curiosity, how do I take an exit from the left lane such as continuing on I-280 from I-80 Eastbound without holding you up?

This left lane complaint peeves me. I understand the reasoning but people also have to be patient.

The left exit is the only place this is acceptable, but 95% of exits are on the right in NJ. On the contrary if someone can't handle themselves on the freeway (not a jab, I'm not personally calling you out) you know the type...the people that stop at the end of a merging lane waiting for an opening, etc. they shouldn't be on the freeway. Having a skittish driver doesn't do anything for the safety of the cars nearby. And neither does tailgating/weaving.

By the way I think my favorite part of that video was the civic screaming while trying to catch up.

A buncha years ago I was pulled over on the parkway for speeding. It was late, I was by myself, I think I was coming home from my sisters on LBI. Anyway, I was doing like 90 or some shit, trooper pulls me over asks if I was driking etc. Saw I had a CDL and asked me who I drove for and I told him and mentioned that I have 0 points and like a bunch of safe driving awards :rolleyes: blah blah blah.

Dudeman comes back with a seat belt ticket, tells me to slow down and have a nice night.

I was wearing my seatbelt like I always do.

Lesson here- pick your battle wisely, the bike rack ticket probably was your "out".

This is what you need to take away from all this. IMO.

Also, be young, have fun, drink Pepsi.

I like david carson's idea in post #16.An extra visable plate should stop the ticket problem.Did not know you could do this.For night time just get some led's from radio shack or somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom