Thinking about a SS project

Scalpeler

Its been a while since Ive posted on here and have recently just started getting back into visiting again (my focus as been on monster.com and linkedin) and I wanted to start with a thread that could develop a good conversation.

So this is my bike:

Frame: 2008 F29er Raw Size Large
Fork: Lefty Speed Carbon SL 80
Rims: Stans Arch
Hubs: Cannondale Lefty (Front) DT Swiss 240 (Rear)
Tires: Hutchinson Toro (Front) Hutchinson Python (rear)
Pedals: XTR
Crank: XTR (Middle Ring is a Q-Ring)
BB: CK
Chain: Sram 991
Rear Cog: XTR
Shifters: XO Twist
Rear Derailleur: Sram XO
Front Derailleur: Sram X9
Bar: Salsa Pro Moto Carbon Flat 11-degree sweep
Headset: Cannondale Headshok Si
Stem: Cannondale Stem/ Steerer
Breakset: Magura Marta SL
Saddle: fizik aliante cannondale team green
Grips: ESI lime green
Cage: Cannondale Carbon / Ti
Seat Post: Easton EC90
Cables: Gore Ride-On

I love this bike as is and the frame works really well for me but its time for a change. With that said...Im considering dropping the gears and running this as a SS.
I am still in the midst of a pain staking job hunt and, besides family, riding is really the only vise holding my sanity together and I want to mix it up.

A few questions before I solidfy my SS decision...

Im not 100% sure this frame can be run as a SS....any insight?

Will i need a new rear hub/wheel or can I use spacers? If I need a new wheel and hub I already have one in mind but would rather not spend the $ if i dont have to right now.

Can I use this crank and just remove the granny and big ring?

Will I need a different BB?

If I decide to make this happen any recommendations for a good cog/tooth count to start my SS adventure with?

If I need to make a few purchases to make this happen I will be selling the XO shifters, XO RD, X9 FD and cassette to fund the project...

looking forward to your response.

You'll need a chain tensioner, I think, b/c the frame appears to have vertical dropouts. If you had horizontals, you could probably get away without the tensioner. Imagine you should be able to get away with your crank (though not familiar with a Q ring, so can't speak to that). Given that you're trying this out, I'd go with a SS hub conversion kit, which you should be able to get from your LBS for <$50 (think mine was around $35, but that was four years ago or so). This will also make it easier to go back to geared should you desire.

As far as gearing, I run 34T front and 18 rear, and this seems like a pretty good combo (i.e. can get up anything pedaling, but isn't so low as to cause a problem on the flats).

FWIW, my SS conversion is an old M-700, and it's treated me well. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom