Things that make you smile :)

The Kalmyk

The Shoemaker Holly Tree in Upper Township, New Jersey is over 325 years old.
It is believed to be the oldest holly tree in New Jersey, and possibly the nation. It is named after the Shoemaker family,
the last owners of the property before it was sold for the final section of the Garden State Parkway in 1953.
The tree was originally going to come down, but Millville resident and Holly Society of America founder Daniel G. Fenton
led the charge to save the tree. In the end, the highway's median was widened to 120 yards in this section, which today has
parking and picnic tables. A new marker was installed in 2014 identifying the tree and its significance.

View attachment 127496

I read this to my wife who grew up in Upper Township and she had no clue... Don’t ask how,lol?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
1588699864020.png

Somerset, Somerville, NJ (KSMQ). May 5, 1653Z, Automated. Wind from 310° at 10 knots, 10 statute miles visibility, Clear Skies, Temperature 14°C, Dewpoint -8°C, Altimeter is 29.89. Remarks: automated station with precipitation discriminator sea level pressure 1012.2 hectopascals hourly temp 14.4°C dewpoint -7.8°C

#getsome

Kaleidopete

Image of the entrance to Olympic Park, which was located in both Maplewood and Irvington, New Jersey, circa 1905.
The park opened on May 8, 1887 with a nine-pin skittle bowling alley, rifle range, swings, a dancing pavilion, and a saloon.
It was built and owned by John A. Becker, an affluent member of Newark’s German community. In 1904, mechanical rides were
added to complete with amusement areas like Coney Island. From the 1920s through the park's closing, it was owned by
the Guenther family. Over the years it expanded, new amusements were added, and structures built. It was once home to the
largest merry-go-round in the United States (later sold to Disney). The amusement park closed September 23, 1965. In 1979,
the land was converted into an industrial park
96125297_2872349129526895_5801301696386695168_o.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Nice day to fly - I spent about a half an hour in the air doing 3 landings, and 1 practice missed landing.
Wind was from the left with gusts that became a tail wind. video is of two of the landings.
1st one not on this vid is the best, 2nd was good but check out the 5 or maybe 7 bounces on the last!
They were small, so not a problem - if they get too big, the prop will hit.

I'm just figuring out the editing s/w - so it sucks. Plus i started at 4:30 this morning when i couldn't sleep.

can see the back of round valley. the sourland ridge. And the pass on rt 78 above chimney rock, and probably that lookout that Gen Washington used :D

Max altitude above ground is about 1,100' - takes less than 2 minutes to get there from start of takeoff.
I had some narrated video, but gopro studio doesn't know what to do with .mov files.

trying to locate a rattle while flying alone at pattern altitude is a bad idea. was making me nuts and i have an isolating headset on!

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Nice day to fly - I spent about a half an hour in the air doing 3 landings, and 1 practice missed landing.
Wind was from the left with gusts that became a tail wind. video is of two of the landings.
1st one not on this vid is the best, 2nd was good but check out the 5 or maybe 7 bounces on the last!
They were small, so not a problem - if they get too big, the prop will hit.

I'm just figuring out the editing s/w - so it sucks. Plus i started at 4:30 this morning when i couldn't sleep.

can see the back of round valley. the sourland ridge. And the pass on rt 78 above chimney rock, and probably that lookout that Gen Washington used :D

Max altitude above ground is about 1,100' - takes less than 2 minutes to get there from start of takeoff.
I had some narrated video, but gopro studio doesn't know what to do with .mov files.

trying to locate a rattle while flying alone at pattern altitude is a bad idea. was making me nuts and i have an isolating headset on!

That’s so friggen cool!

Kaleidopete

Katherine "Kate" Walker tended the Robbins Reef Lighthouse located off Constable Hook in Bayonne, New Jersey
in the Lower New York Bay, for over three decades. Her husband, Captain John Walker, who had been appointed
keeper of the light in 1885, passed away in 1890 from pneumonia. Katherine was appointed the official keeper of
the light by President Benjamin Harrison after his death. Despite the isolation and loneliness, she tended the light
by herself, raising two children, until 1919, when she retired at the age of 73. During her tenure at the lighthouse,
Kate recalled that she had rescued 50 people and one dog.
97008166_2879274238834384_6085071225015500800_n.jpg

Top Bottom