Things that make you smile :)

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I have a sparcstation 20 in the basement if you want to attempt to resurrect that....
also a 486/33, cause i just can't let my first real computer go (note that the zx81, and 286 don't count)

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
enjoy it, ubuntu is where i started with linux back in college, then went to openSUSE jumped around btwn a couple other minor distros and landed in Arch as my go to on my home PC. (look up Arch and see how easy ubuntu is)

Why do I get the distinct feeling I’m about to travel down “the rabbit hole” playing with this... hope the bike component sites don’t get too jealous. ;)

rick81721

Lothar
enjoy it, ubuntu is where i started with linux back in college, then went to openSUSE jumped around btwn a couple other minor distros and landed in Arch as my go to on my home PC. (look up Arch and see how easy ubuntu is)

Translate from jibberish to English, please

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Translate from jibberish to English, please

So I’ve got this old bike with a threaded BB (24mm spindle) but all the cool kids are running 30mm spindle cranks.... what to do... dump the bike and spend $$$? Oh hey, this site has this adapter that’ll let me use the trendy 30mm spindle cranks on my old bike. Yay. But I’m still gonna have to MacGyver (sp) it a bit to make it fit.... but for PC’s. :)

Last edited:

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
So I’ve got this old bike with a threaded BB (24mm spindle) but all the cool kids are running 30mm spindle cranks.... what to do... dump the bike and spend $$$? Oh hey, this site has this adapter that’ll let me use the trendy 30mm spindle cranks on my old bike. Yay. But I’m still gonna have to MacGyver (sp) it a bit to make it fit.... but for PC’s. :)
MacGyver.jpg

BPaze

My basement is where computers go to die too:

View attachment 81721
Yea so when you get enough you can drop them off at Rockaway Recycling for a few bucks then go for a ride at Split Rock. I have an entire room with servers stacked in it at my office just waiting for me to bring them to Rockaway Recycling

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yea so when you get enough you can drop them off at Rockaway Recycling for a few bucks then go for a ride at Split Rock. I have an entire room with servers stacked in it at my office just waiting for me to bring them to Rockaway Recycling

Cleaning out the basement is on my list of things to do. It's at the bottom of the list of course, but I will need to make several trips when the time comes.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cleaning out the basement is on my list of things to do. It's at the bottom of the list of course, but I will need to make several trips when the time comes.

I mostly picture a timeline of "What's the hot thing in mountain biking" in 3 year increments, for the past 15 years in your basement.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I mostly picture a timeline of "What's the hot thing in mountain biking" in 3 year increments, for the past 15 years in your basement.

I like to think that my basement is a magical place of wonder. The wife disagrees and thinks I'm a hoarder. But I was raised by hoarders, so it's not my fault.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I like to think that my basement is a magical place of wonder. The wife disagrees and thinks I'm a hoarder. But I was raised by hoarders, so it's not my fault.
Yeah you like to have friends store your hoarding possessions too ;)

serviceguy

Check aaaannnndd Check!

serviceguy

View attachment 81721
My computers don't die, ever. They slllloooowwwlly cling to life so I don't have the guts to get rid of them. They litter both my parent's house in Italy and ours in Ringwood. Same as my car parts and (vintage) bike parts. When I ran out of space, well, that's when I bought a house with a lofted garage!

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

View attachment 81721

you aren't old enough to own one of those.....i'm not sure i ever upgraded to solaris, so i might have a sunOS system!
i learned communication via sockets on some of the earlier versions.

for the non-techie, we had to decide between fork and spawn. go figure. (actually spawn didn't exist back then, but it
still seems very odd to write.)

PS - your hoarding paid off! see.

serviceguy

you aren't old enough to own one of those.....i'm not sure i ever upgraded to solaris, so i might have a sunOS system!
i learned communication via sockets on some of the earlier versions.

for the non-techie, we had to decide between fork and spawn. go figure. (actually spawn didn't exist back then, but it
still seems very odd to write.)

PS - your hoarding paid off! see.
I stopped using Unix (never used Linux) when the company I worked for at the time took over an accounting management project running on DEC VMS for the company that was developing the tethered satellite experiment in Italy. They figured that the system was powerful enough to run both the extensive simulation calculations and the accounting software...not! This was years before the actual experiment took place.

Top Bottom