Things that make you frown :(

Cassinonorth

Mouses or mice?

If you’re talking about the device used to control your computer’s cursor, is the plural computer mouse or computer mice? Either is correct, but the most common version is computer mice. In the early days of computers, engineers often said computer mouses just for fun. The Hacker’s Dictionary (Bookshop|Amazon) mentions other jocular plurals among techies, suggesting, for example that the plural of mongoose should be polygoose. This is part of a complete episode.

:shrug:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
mentions other jocular plurals among techies, suggesting, for example that the plural of mongoose should be polygoose.
As I learned in St Croix, the proper term is “mongoose dem”

Mongoose Dem​

The furry, squirrel-like creatures you see running everywhere are called mongoose, the colloquial plural of which is mongoose dem. They are harmless and (we think) cute. They won't bother you.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i have just been informed that while the new guy has "good instincts" when it comes to copy editing, he doesn't know any of the basic shortcuts like ctrl + C = copy... i'm not really sure how you make it to 2023 without that knowledge.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i have just been informed that while the new guy has "good instincts" when it comes to copy editing, he doesn't know any of the basic shortcuts like ctrl + C = copy... i'm not really sure how you make it to 2023 without that knowledge.

recommend formal training.
for your own sanity.
GL

Does he txt?
Has he YELLED yet?

JDurk

W in T actual F? My 80 y/o Dad who doesn't use a computer and has a flip phone, sure. But someone in the current workplace?

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
recommend formal training.
for your own sanity.
GL

Does he txt?
Has he YELLED yet?
W in T actual F? My 80 y/o Dad who doesn't use a computer and has a flip phone, sure. But someone in the current workplace?

luckily i'm not the one training him, but he is holding up the other copy editors who are training him which then holds me up since they're not getting me copy as quickly. i'm concerned they were blindsided by his availability that they completely overlooked other important aspects of this kind of job. and he might be closing in on 80 for all i know but definitely boomer generation.

Kaleidopete

Garmin being too helpful. My 530 always works great because I usually do similar rides in Wawayanda.
Once I wander outside Garmin's comfort zone it starts being quirky. Today I rode from home to Jungle Habitat.
About seven miles, all was great until I entered the park. That's when my screen changed by itself. It takes me away from
my happy screen showing speed, elevation, time, miles, etc. and decides to give me messages that I don't care about.
Like up pops "Joy S" , now I know Joy, but why is Garmin showing her name. I struggle pushing buttons through confusing
menus to try and get my happy page back. No luck, so I keep pedaling. Finally something happens and by pushing more buttons
I get back to what I want. Same thin happens on my Clinton road rides, the screen changes to show me "laps" , I don't give a shit
about laps, just stay where da hell I put you! Sometimes different messages come up to let me know things I don't care about.
Maybe if I read the manual I ca find how to shut all this crap up and just ride simple. Grrrrrrr!

Last edited:

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Garmin being too helpful. My 530 always works great because I usually do similar rides in Wawayanda.
Once I wander outside Garmin's comfort zone it starts being quirky. Today I rode from home to Jungle Habitat.
About seven miles, all was great until I entered the park. That's when my screen changed by itself. It takes me away from
my happy screen showing speed, elevation, time, miles, etc. and decides to give me messages that I don't care about.
Like up pops "Joy S" , now I know Joy, but wy is Garmin shoeing her name. I struggle pushing buttons through confusing
menus to try and get my happy page back. No luck, so I keep pedaling. Finally something happens and by pushing more buttons
I get back to what I want. Same thin happens on my Clinton road rides, the screen changes to show me "laps" , I don't give a shit
about laps, just stay where da hell I put you! Sometimes different messages come up to let me know things I don't care about.
Maybe if I read the manual I ca find how to shut all this crap up and just ride simple. Grrrrrrr!
Go to the Garmin app on the phone, everything is hidden in sub-menus but you can turn most of it off. It's rather annoying.

Plus there is something creepy about you getting notifications from my wife while you're riding that she started her ride.

MissJR

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Like up pops "Joy S" , now I know Joy, but wy is Garmin shoeing her name. I struggle pushing buttons through confusing

I feel like I should say sorry! 🤣

Kaleidopete

Pete, do you have an ipad ?
no...I'm kinda thinking it has something to do with Trailforks, who's kinda hooked into Strava, and they're showing me
others that did something special where I am and maybe I'm supposed to care and try and do better. I'll have to go through the 530's menu
and look for things to change.

Ironjunk

I have a video of all of this on my dash cam, but it is better in writing.

Pull out of work to sit at double lanes at red light. I passed 3 drivers looking at their phones. The light turns green i noticed a dark hyundai weaving in and out of traffic, no blinker etc. He ends up sitting behind a white truck at the next red light, i am behind. The lights turns green the truck sits there. The hyundai just rips around him as he sits there using the turn lane as a passing lane. The truck finally notices the line of 10 cars is not in front of him anymore then just runs the red light, leaving me at the red. The traffic to the right of me get the green arrow and some guy is just holding his phone up flipping it as he turns in front and past me.

These people will be part of statistics and they will be at fault. I can't not get angry at these people because they are a liability to everyone else.

Top Bottom