The what new bike are you considering thread

well that makes two of us....im a little bummed my new S/C comes with these stupid threaded BB cups....I put the BB30 in my trigger frame in 2014, haven't touched it since.
I was super stoked my 5010 had a threaded BB and also my Mr Pink, which I got the newer frame model largely because of the threaded BB instead of the PF30.

Once I got my Kogel and Praxxis BB's, any PF 30 issues were resolved and I never really had any issues with my BB30 frames.

That being said, not having to press anything in is great for the home mechanic.

I was super stoked my 5010 had a threaded BB and also my Mr Pink, which I got the newer frame model largely because of the threaded BB instead of the PF30.

Once I got my Kogel and Praxxis BB's, any PF 30 issues were resolved and I never really had any issues with my BB30 frames.

That being said, not having to press anything in is great for the home mechanic.

...enters cross threading! Just kidding, it is way easier with threaded cups as long as you have the right tool. I have RF PF30 100mm BB available though if anybody really need to have one...

New bike came in. Pickup monday, dec 30

20191222_131350.jpg

I have been continually drawn to the RSD Middlechild. I love hardtails and ride a Surly now. I am willing to try the 2.8 27.5+ thing but I seem to be more drawn to the 2.5/2.6 tire size. Although the steel version is specked with 2.8’s the TI version of the MC is spec’ed with 2.6’s so I figure the BB must be “high enough.” My biggest issue is the direct to consumer thing. I give my local shops a lot of business but it still feels like I am going behind my best friend’s back.

I have been continually drawn to the RSD Middlechild. I love hardtails and ride a Surly now. I am willing to try the 2.8 27.5+ thing but I seem to be more drawn to the 2.5/2.6 tire size. Although the steel version is specked with 2.8’s the TI version of the MC is spec’ed with 2.6’s so I figure the BB must be “high enough.” My biggest issue is the direct to consumer thing. I give my local shops a lot of business but it still feels like I am going behind my best friend’s back.

You'd still have service

RSD is great to work with. I just bought a "Mayor" fat bike and really love the quality and how much you get for your money. The RSD bikes require some assembly so if you feel like you need to give business to your local shop you can have them put it together for you. I can't recommend RSD enough

Glad to hear your experience with RSD was positive! Sounds like if I pre-order now I get a nice little discount... oh the temptation! Ands the Middle Child now comes in orange!

Took a closer look at the details of these two and I like the spec but turned off by the pricepoint. It os crazy how a bike with a similar spec in 2016 was 5k, now we’re up to 7k.

View attachment 114176

View attachment 114175

if you wait till the end of september~october you can get those for 20-30% off. I could never let myself pay full retail on a bike, the prices these days are criminal

The major brands don't have much like that. Pretty unique HT geometry.

Took a closer look at the details of these two and I like the spec but turned off by the pricepoint. It os crazy how a bike with a similar spec in 2016 was 5k, now we’re up to 7k.

Agreed, I luckily bought my Santa Cruz the year before it seems prices across the board from everyone went up. I'm wondering if mix of good economy leading to more higher end bike sales, along with the tariffs are making the prices go up. It's really hard to justify a lot of these prices, especially on the road/cross side where they don't even have suspension...

8F9AA6DA-DA52-4401-886D-289567859FB1.jpeg

I was all about the new Norco Optic but have since changed my mind. 125mm of travel just doesn’t seem like enough for me, especially since I’ve been riding 150mm for several years now. I love Norco and the 4-bar Horst link but my one gripe has always been that they're a bit flexy. The new Orbea Occam looks killer and more stout, plus it’s got 140mm of travel. A little pricey but unique. Reviews are good too.

D88C78F5-9480-4A2A-B5C9-44F2ED9F2E06.jpeg

View attachment 114794
I was all about the new Norco Optic but have since changed my mind. 125mm of travel just doesn’t seem like enough for me, especially since I’ve been riding 150mm for several years now. I love Norco and the 4-bar Horst link but my one gripe has always been that they're a bit flexy. The new Orbea Occam looks killer and more stout, plus it’s got 140mm of travel. A little pricey but unique. Reviews are good too.

View attachment 114796

They sent me a LG demo. I’ll get some time on it after the new year.

So far it’s a super light, fit&finish seems on point

Kinda weird that you can only grab the bottle from the left side.

View attachment 114794

View attachment 114796
If your looking for more from norco then why would you stop at the optic? The sight fits your want except color purple. Now if you tell me it's a deal breaker because of that then it would be same problem I have chosing a bike for the wife.

I’m a newbie to forums so if this is the wrong area to post just let me know. I currently ride a Kona process 153 27.5 and a felt breed 30 gravel bike. The process is a lot of fun especially in the chunky rocky downhill sections of trail (wawayanda, chimney rock, sourland etc.) but is a bit of a dog for 6MR, any significant climbing, most local trails and neighborhood cruising. The breed is a blast for a mix of road, gravel and exploring light single track but is definitely being pushed to the limit on some of the muddy/sandy/technical terrain I enjoy exploring. So if money was no option I would buy a bike for every single different type of riding but in an attempt to cover a few different types of riding with one bike I am interested in a Surly Wednesday. I am looking to do some beach, pine barrens and local neighborhood exploring/bushwhacking with the stock 26x3.8s. I also intend on eventually doing a 29+ Wheelset (probably 29x3.0) for neighborhood cruising, light on/off-road touring, and more flowy/ climbing oriented trails. I would also like to do a SS set up eventually (maybe for both Wheelsets but primarily for the 29+ set) for a low maintenance sort-of-do-it-all version of this bike that would be simple to travel with. Do I have the right bike in mind? Am I insane? Any suggestions on other bike options or setups I should consider? P.S. would like to keep this setup as cheap as possible to start and add on/upgrade over time.

Back
Top Bottom