The only original MTBNJ Woodworking thread!!!!!

so... even though i only smoked like 1 to 3 cigarettes a day, and even though i rolled my own with what i think is actually a pretty exquisite loose tobacco (Peter Stokkebye amsterdam shag usually), it probably wasn't improving my health. so i switch to smoking a pipe, of course.

then i immediately had to buy like 20 different kinds of tobacco, to figure out what i like, dislike, just like some of the time or at very specific times, etc etc.

then, because only a fool would store tobacco in bags, i had to buy a bunch of mason jars.

what the hell does any of this have to do with woodworking.

so i started a project, measure nonce cut often, as is my wont. ended with this (call it a prototype) mason jar holder shelf thing. gonna make another, more refined version as a follow-up - the next version the shelves will probably not rotate, just to make the thing more sturdy and longer lasting, although that is a nice little feature on this one.
1102211513b.jpg1102211513a.jpg1102211513.jpg

more holy boards on standby

1102211521.jpg

so... even though i only smoked like 1 to 3 cigarettes a day, and even though i rolled my own with what i think is actually a pretty exquisite loose tobacco (Peter Stokkebye amsterdam shag usually), it probably wasn't improving my health. so i switch to smoking a pipe, of course.

then i immediately had to buy like 20 different kinds of tobacco, to figure out what i like, dislike, just like some of the time or at very specific times, etc etc.

then, because only a fool would store tobacco in bags, i had to buy a bunch of mason jars.

what the hell does any of this have to do with woodworking.

so i started a project, measure nonce cut often, as is my wont. ended with this (call it a prototype) mason jar holder shelf thing. gonna make another, more refined version as a follow-up - the next version the shelves will probably not rotate, just to make the thing more sturdy and longer lasting, although that is a nice little feature on this one.
View attachment 170158View attachment 170159View attachment 170160

more holy boards on standby

View attachment 170157

Great idea for weed.

PS should use dark glass to protect from UV

Figured I might as well revive this with a recent project. I inherited a 24" Craftsman scroll saw when my wife's grandmother passed away a couple of years back. It had been sitting for many years, so I wasn't really sure about the condition. Pretty much did the basic things, cleaned it up, lubricated, built a stand, new wiring and it's finally up and running. I still need to make some new blade guides, as the originals are 1/4" notched wooden dowels that are really chewed up. Also need to figure out what I'm going to actually do with it, but I'm sure it will come in handy for the occasional project and I certainly can't imagine parting with it. And yes, it's an absolutely enormous scroll saw.

IMG_20200720_155936.jpg
PXL_20221227_235644383.jpg

Figured I might as well revive this with a recent project. I inherited a 24" Craftsman scroll saw when my wife's grandmother passed away a couple of years back. It had been sitting for many years, so I wasn't really sure about the condition. Pretty much did the basic things, cleaned it up, lubricated, built a stand, new wiring and it's finally up and running. I still need to make some new blade guides, as the originals are 1/4" notched wooden dowels that are really chewed up. Also need to figure out what I'm going to actually do with it, but I'm sure it will come in handy for the occasional project and I certainly can't imagine parting with it. And yes, it's an absolutely enormous scroll saw.

View attachment 204016
View attachment 204017
That reminds me I need to build a cart for my router table...I find weird that is supposed to be a desktop/workbench router table but if I were to place it on top of any workbench I own it would be very difficult for me to easily access its top...I must be very short and I never realized...I wish they sold a wheeled solution as I already have their cart mounted table saw and miter saw...

bosch-router-tables-ra1181-64_1000.jpg

View attachment 204016
View attachment 204017
Also, very neat project. I like the caster that you used up front, where did you get it?

View attachment 204016
View attachment 204017
I have one of these as well, but rarely use except for big sized projects.
DA5034D5-7803-467D-8D49-B8616E2D514D.jpeg

I have one of these as well, but rarely use except for big sized projects.
View attachment 204041

Cool, how do you like it? I have no baseline for this type of saw so I'm not sure exactly what to expect from it. It also uses 6" blades which are pretty hard to come by. I picked up some Olson blades and there are supposedly some by Pegas as well.

Cool, how do you like it? I have no baseline for this type of saw so I'm not sure exactly what to expect from it. It also uses 6" blades which are pretty hard to come by. I picked up some Olson blades and there are supposedly some by Pegas as well.
It’s not for fine work, but works really well for large cutouts that you can follow up with a drum sander. As far as the blades are concerned, I seemed to have gotten the last of the 6” blades from a Craftsman store well over 25 years ago. I now use cut up broken fine tooth bandsaw blade from my small Delta saw….they work.

Had some drops laying around so I whipped together some bird houses one afternoon over the weekend. They are for for sale if anyone is interested. I have a $20 premium out of 3/4 and a $15 5/8 rough cut version. Hole sizing based on Wrens, Bluebirds, Starlings, Nuthatches, Sparrows, and Swallows. Pick up near 6MR.

IMG_9049.jpeg

IMG_9047.jpeg

Sometimes (not often), you find hidden gems at antique stores. Today was one of those days:

PXL_20230325_190733562.jpg
(just kidding, I didn't. I thought about it, but I didn't)

PXL_20230326_012445147.MP.jpg
Seen languishing in a case, with a suspiciously low (or high, depending) price tag of $65. I asked to see it in person, and pulled it out of the box(!) to be greeted with

PXL_20230326_012434024.jpg
After cleaning, natch. Lots of dirt/clouding.
It was, for all practical purposes, unused, and in the original box, to boot.

PXL_20230326_011509869.jpgPXL_20230326_011427745.jpg
Cleaned/preserved.
I'm still on the fence about keeping/selling it. I have my grandfather's no6 Bailey...but this is just beautiful.

Ok Woodworkers @VanDbtRiver, @SmooveP how hard is it to trim a cabinet above the fridge for a bit more room? Apparently fridges have grown since we had the box installed around our fridge with a cabinet directly above. There is a 1/2" of exposed wood below the cabinet doors. If that could be trimmed back it would give us many more refrigerator options when searching.

@Bike N Gear Post a pic. Maybe cut ends with an oscillating tool, and remove doors set up a straight edge and us a router with flush trim bit to trim the rest?

Back
Top Bottom