The only original MTBNJ Woodworking thread!!!!!

THATmanMANNY

Since no one wanted to get paid here I posted something on Craig’s. I know for fact the guy who did our remodel would have charged too much. Now I know like 20 handyman’s. Maybe 5 is legit. This guy seems like good enough. Post anchor on bottom then some azek trim. I’m very comfy inside my house.
1A858F22-6D7C-46C4-9408-CE2E0D591EDE.jpeg82C84AA7-B74B-4E8C-9D92-527962CF634A.jpeg

Last edited:

THATmanMANNY

was going to paint them but now leaning towards dark stain

So these basic columns are pine. I’m torn between using wood conditioner or not. What do you experts say? I kinda like the blotchyness (is that bad?) and if I am already Staining dark like ‘Kona’ I’m not sure if it will be that blotchy. I don’t like the plastic uniform look and want it a little more interesting.

And I read conflicting info on pre stain. Directions say stain right away some woodworker bloggers say wait one day.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

So these basic columns are pine. I’m torn between using wood conditioner or not. What do you experts say? I kinda like the blotchyness (is that bad?) and if I am already Staining dark like ‘Kona’ I’m not sure if it will be that blotchy. I don’t like the plastic uniform look and want it a little more interesting.

And I read conflicting info. Directions say stain right away some woodworker bloggers say wait one day.

wrap them in azek.

THATmanMANNY

That’s boring. Really though we want to do something different. Staining a different color would be nice. Will paint over if it looks like shit. But painting/staining this is not bad. Outside and straight

SmooveP

And I read conflicting info on pre stain. Directions say stain right away some woodworker bloggers say wait one day.
Whatever you use, be prepared to do periodic maintenance or refinishing. In my experience, gel type oil stains give a little more control over blotching. I like Old Masters brand. For a top coat, Epifanes marine varnish. Needs 5 or 6 coats and comes in gloss or matte sheen. Do samples on a decent sized piece of the same wood before progressing to the real thing!

serviceguy

Ugh why? It’s fake ish
Personally, I would stain only if the board joints were 'hidden' in the corners giving the illusion of a solid wood column. With the board cuts exposed and right next to the planed surface of the next board the difference in grain will be obvious. That's just me though.

THATmanMANNY

Well yea you guys are on a whole ‘nother level! I’m not ready for that. From the street it’s going to look dope that’s all that matters haha

why didn’t you guys tell to to use azek? (10hrs prep today) staining tomorrow and yea will definitely use a test piece. Thanks!

About gel stain... I used like a stain+poly (I guess it was gel like since it was more like paint) on this outdoor table a made color is good but I just find it too look too plasticy. I’m hoping the liquid will give more variations and since the board is only 6”- I hope the blotchyness doesn’t show too much if I encounter that issue. Also, my stain and poly is oil based. Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Patrick

Staff member
You could add outside corner molding and make a raised panel look while hiding the grain.

THATmanMANNY

@Patrick do you mean trim up at top. There was a quarter round around the previous "columns" and I've yet to reinstall it. I have it. Dude man is supposed to come back to take care of some other exterior stuff to me and nail the quarter round in.

ebarker9

@Patrick do you mean trim up at top. There was a quarter round around the previous "columns" and I've yet to reinstall it. I have it. Dude man is supposed to come back to take care of some other exterior stuff to me and nail the quarter round in.

Think he's suggesting something along these lines. So applying molding to the outside corners to hide the joints between the boards that highlight the difference between the grain.

images

Patrick

Staff member
^^that. or even more simple. it can be added afterwards to dress things up too.

THATmanMANNY

Gotcha! Yea Let's get past this stage first lol. The dude said stain and poly it and he would come and silicone it and not caulk anymore, well since you can't stain caulk.

Top Bottom