The Joy of Mountain Biking

Happy 2020!

Took me a while to dig thru and find this damn thing again. I guess it's been a little too long but I haven't had much to say since I felt like crap in basically all my races last year. And how many times can I repeat that before it stops being entertaining?

Anyway... this is just a quick post to say I'm not dead... this blog isn't dead... and I'll be back to posting race recaps and whatnot this year. I'm currently doing a 6 week FTP builder training plan on Zwift (if anyone wants to join me... I'm on week 2) and I've registered for Monster Cross down in Richmond in February. The 50 mile course. Lord help my sorry out of shape ass.
I think the question is the type of crap you are feeling. If feeling bad in the sense of, ouch this hurts, that is typically good crap. If feeling bad in the sense of f this bike, I hate this, that is bad crap. Also, if feeling bad and you are just having a bad day, then that is in-the-middle crap.

Some people are motivated by racing, some are not, but I can confirm that there is riding life that doesn't involve racing. If racing leads to be unmotivating, then it would seem like it is time to not race.

I think the question is the type of crap you are feeling.

crap like physical health crap (don't feel like going into it right now but maybe i'll do a post on it later) and burn out... i think i had a 42% increase in riding between 2017 and 2018 so i went into 2019 just plain old tired, and tied with the health stuff, i don't think i really got to recover. i also decided to do 4 races in a row in the early part of the year and that just made me regret a bunch of racing decisions.

crap like physical health crap (don't feel like going into it right now but maybe i'll do a post on it later) and burn out... i think i had a 42% increase in riding between 2017 and 2018 so i went into 2019 just plain old tired, and tied with the health stuff, i don't think i really got to recover. i also decided to do 4 races in a row in the early part of the year and that just made me regret a bunch of racing decisions.
Sounds like 2017-2018 was your adjustment year when you found out that people ride bikes way more than you previously thought. Unless severely burned out, remember that riding can just be tooling around in the parking lot doing wheelies and hopping curbs. Sometimes carving turns in an empty parking lot gives you that feeling. You'll find the stoke again...

enJOY

A few notes, I don’t take multiple takes and just talk off the cuff, so...the thing to work on is skills (duh) but I don’t say it, lol. Also, the little turns I did I should have retaken the clip, because they weren’t that good, but yolo.

enJOY

A few notes, I don’t take multiple takes and just talk off the cuff, so...the thing to work on is skills (duh) but I don’t say it, lol. Also, the little turns I did I should have retaken the clip, because they weren’t that good, but yolo.

Great job coach!

Already messaged kevin but does anyone else get on their bike that way? Clipping in, pushing off and then sitting on the seat?

enJOY

1) Nice choice in Club Ride outerwear.
2) Please tell Joy how much time you actually spent working on skills. She wants the skills but needs to put in the time.
3) Pearl's comment makes me assume you never raced cyclocross.
4) Youtube should make an option to just re-convert videos from 1.0 speed to 1.25 speed by the uploader.
5) Your talking was pretty good for a single-take. Almost like you rehearsed it. Smooth.
6) @Norm has been busy, so we may need you to start doing Ask-Kevin-Thursday. Can you start next Thursday?

1) Nice choice in Club Ride outerwear.
2) Please tell Joy how much time you actually spent working on skills. She wants the skills but needs to put in the time.
3) Pearl's comment makes me assume you never raced cyclocross.
4) Youtube should make an option to just re-convert videos from 1.0 speed to 1.25 speed by the uploader.
5) Your talking was pretty good for a single-take. Almost like you rehearsed it. Smooth.
6) @Norm has been busy, so we may need you to start doing Ask-Kevin-Thursday. Can you start next Thursday?
Even when presenting for work and conferences, I am not the type to rehearse much, I think I am better just talking.

I actually thought about the hours with the manually thing. I learned to manual on a bmx bike in my early 20’s and rode with guys that would do stupid manual challenges all the time. Like up start manual, go up curb, drop back off the curb, go around that car, drop into a one footed, get back into regular, etc. The hours has to be in the 100’s. I also come from a skate background, which taught me to try things over and over and over. Part of the things about learning when you are young, TIME.
I raced two cross races and never worked on the mount. But I think I do the 3rd or 4th type here:

Quick updates:

Rides/Workouts: Rode 25h 5m (every minute counts!) in January. A lot of that was zwift and the FTP Training plan I'm doing. I did get to do some longer mileage rides outside like on the Columbia Trail... and, yes, cookies were consumed afterwards. @Magic even joined us... Apparently, he does still ride bikes! ;P

This is my last week of workouts for the Zwift training plan. Last night I had the hardest of any of the training rides I've done so far. Honestly, I wasn't sure I was going to finish the hour fifteen. I did the workout during the Watopia Wednesday ride and the support really helped. @Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST even went past the WW ride's hour time limit to help me finish the last few reps.

I've also been making sure to have some protein drinks after the workouts. I've never been big on the idea of all these powder drinks but it has help A LOT. I used to get a lot of muscle soreness after a ride, often being sore for a couple of days. But with the protein drinks, I've been way less sore and achy.

Weight/Health: HA! Like I need to lose any... But that's not the point here... It's maintaining it. (BTW guys, I don't recommend asking any woman for their weight unless you're setting up the suspension on her bike.) Anyway... my normal weight range is 120-125 often leaning a little on the higher end in the winter. With some health issues and general blah-ness, I was feeling heavy and bloated to say the least. Right now, I'm on the lighter end of my range and without that bloated feeling. Part of it may be health, part riding, part eating better? I've also mostly given up coffee (down to one day a week from every day) which is saving me a lot of money and helping with some of my stomach-ish issues. Steve's even noticed a huge difference. And the big health thing which I think I'll go into one day (just not today), but it seems to be under control. I'm sleeping a bit better (it would be even better if I could get the cat to cooperate in the morning) and not relying on sleep aids and stuff. Still can't really take naps tho.

Work: So, honestly, work's been sucking lately. It's been non-stop chaos. There are some big changes happening (which I'm not allowed to talk about yet) and it could be very good... but it's definitely causing some tension in the office. We had another meeting this morning about the changes... with yet another one next week.

Races: MONSTER CROSS! It's coming up so fast! I am worried about doing 50 miles. I'll take the first lap at a conservative pace to conserve some energy for the second lap. I'm mostly concerned about food tho. It starts at 10 am and I know I'll be out there for 4+ hours... which means it straddles what is normally my lunch time. I'll have snacks with me and plan to grab something on the way thru the feed zone, but bonking has me worried.

I guess that's it for now. Suggestions are welcomed. Questions will be answered. Maybe I'll even post a cat pic later.

Last edited:
when you finish the FTP builder you will need to share the before (maybe you did an i missed it???) and after numbers,

Good job sticking with it, those hard days are important, and if you dont feel it then your leaving too much in the tank and giving up potential improvements.

I'm mostly concerned about food tho. It starts at 10 am and I know I'll be out there for 4+ hours... which means it straddles what is normally my lunch time. I'll have snacks with me and plan to grab something on the way thru the feed zone, but bonking has me worried.
most likely not what you want to hear, but you should tackle some 3-4 hour rides before this event and dial in what your nutrition plan will be. try solids, mixed drinks, gu's/chomps, soda, whatever. remember what worked and what didn't.

everyone deals with food differently and what works for one person, may not work for you. the whole "eat before your hungry" and "drink before your thirsty" thing applies here. i've had good luck eating more solid food on longer events because my brain and body want flavor and something to chew on. my gut enjoys it as well.

Back
Top Bottom