The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Oh boy! I've got some work to do this fall and winter.
I haven't been on zwift since June.
Did a 5 mile route badge grab them decided on a ramp test.
Hit a wall at 300w.
Couldn't turn the pedals at 320w
214w FTP.
Screenshot_20230918-213239.png

Why? I'm guess Glenn hasn't been in training mode?

Sorry - forgot to reply to this.

Not sure if Glenn trains, per se. But the population of people like Glenn & myself that spend a considerable time on the trainer in the winter will have a very strong spring, maybe really feel great early summer, then fade after that. Like now.

When you ride the trainer, you are constantly being reminded of what power you're putting out so you have a natural tendency to push yourself. It's also more efficient, since nobody wants to ride 2 hours inside every day. So you get the most out of your hour or hour & a half.

Late spring/early summer rolls around and you're riding more. You have this solid base and you put in solid hours outside. But slowly, you're not pushing ourself as consistently and you start to slide.

Add in the heat and you tend to feel like you're going harder than you are. This July/August especially would have that effect. It feels like you're going hard. And your HR matches this due to heat/dehydration. But facts being facts, you're just not riding with the same power/intensity and your FTP will trend downwards.

Not sure if Glenn trains, per se. But the population of people like Glenn & myself that spend a considerable time on the trainer in the winter will have a very strong spring, maybe really feel great early summer, then fade after that. Like now.

When you ride the trainer, you are constantly being reminded of what power you're putting out so you have a natural tendency to push yourself. It's also more efficient, since nobody wants to ride 2 hours inside every day. So you get the most out of your hour or hour & a half.

Late spring/early summer rolls around and you're riding more. You have this solid base and you put in solid hours outside. But slowly, you're not pushing ourself as consistently and you start to slide.

Add in the heat and you tend to feel like you're going harder than you are. This July/August especially would have that effect. It feels like you're going hard. And your HR matches this due to heat/dehydration. But facts being facts, you're just not riding with the same power/intensity and your FTP will trend downwards.
It could be that.

Or it could be Vitamin D makes you slower. 🤔

Getting older doesn't help either.

Is anyone successfully using their Apple Watch as a HR monitor on Zwift? I have the Zwift apps which got installed with the app and companion app, but neither displays my Heart Rate and neither is connectable to the devices screen on my Apple TV. I also tried using my iPad, and that didn’t work either.

I'm curious why you can't connect your HRM to your iPad, I have been doing it for the last few years with zero issues.

I'm curious why you can't connect your HRM to your iPad, I have been doing it for the last few years with zero issues.

I am. If I could use my Apple watch instead, it would just be 1 less device to use/charge/replacer when dies.

Is anyone successfully using their Apple Watch as a HR monitor on Zwift? I have the Zwift apps which got installed with the app and companion app, but neither displays my Heart Rate and neither is connectable to the devices screen on my Apple TV. I also tried using my iPad, and that didn’t work either.
Going to try the Apple Watch this eve… need to install Zwift and companion on it first I guess… the watch band I have is so frikin tight though

Looked into this once. Thought the workaround was another another app (don’t recall the name) to broadcast he from the phone or tablet to zwift companion app.

Broadcasting hr from garmin watch works, however the optical sensor always seems to lock onto the cadence until the heart gets pumping.

This is a pretty significant feature upgrade. Unless you have a wide ratio 2x road bike, its far too common to have gearing that is not really ideal for Zwifting, especially so for 1x bikes. I have a gravel 2x and its still not enough in plenty of cases (flats and extended DH).

Apparently you can do this a couple different ways:

If you have an existing Zwift hub with cassette and FH body, you can just park the derailleur in a single gear with a good chainline and use the virtual shifter pod *OR* the Zwift Play controller to control the virtual gears.

Alternately, existing Zwift Hub owners can buy the One single cog FH body conversion kit and use the included pod controller. If you already have Play controllers, you can use them also.

New Zwift Hub One buyers will of course get the new FH and pod and can also use optional Play controller.

I suppose if you had a SS conversion for a HG or XDR you could use that but wouldnt be any better than the One cog or parking the derailleur.

Was all set to pull the trigger on the original Hub but now not sure if I should go with the new virtual shifting option.

Was all set to pull the trigger on the original Hub but now not sure if I should go with the new virtual shifting option.
If you read the press release you can order the add on stuff afterwards if you only have the original one. Or save the hassle and order the new one.

Depends if you want to try the old traditional shifting with the Casette or the new virtual
Shifting

Back
Top Bottom