The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

rosceaux

[TLDR]: Anyone have recommendations for wireless headphones to use while on my rollers?

For the past few years, I probably used the rollers once a week, rode outside once a week and ran outside 5 days/week. This year I am really focusing on cycling, and I've had to up my roller use to 5 days/week. After every possible iteration, I've realized that I can't ride and watch anything on the tv at the same time. Regardless of the show, the location of the tv, and my interest level, I just can't do it. As much as I'd like to stack exercise with entertainment with my heroin-like addiction to everything on the television, I can't do it. I've tried Swift before, but I can't really align it with my base training goals for the winter in a meaningful way (unless I'm really missing something).

I never wear headphones or listen to music when outside, but on the rollers it has been a godsend for me. I'm rolling through my favorite albums right now, as well as Alexa/Spotify streaming. Anyone have recommendations for other services or ways to build playlists? I ask because I am usually 10 years or so behind the technology times. Is Napster still a thing?

kearneyb

[TLDR]: Anyone have recommendations for wireless headphones to use while on my rollers?

For the past few years, I probably used the rollers once a week, rode outside once a week and ran outside 5 days/week. This year I am really focusing on cycling, and I've had to up my roller use to 5 days/week. After every possible iteration, I've realized that I can't ride and watch anything on the tv at the same time. Regardless of the show, the location of the tv, and my interest level, I just can't do it. As much as I'd like to stack exercise with entertainment with my heroin-like addiction to everything on the television, I can't do it. I've tried Swift before, but I can't really align it with my base training goals for the winter in a meaningful way (unless I'm really missing something).

I never wear headphones or listen to music when outside, but on the rollers it has been a godsend for me. I'm rolling through my favorite albums right now, as well as Alexa/Spotify streaming. Anyone have recommendations for other services or ways to build playlists? I ask because I am usually 10 years or so behind the technology times. Is Napster still a thing?
I have an older pair of ankers. Sound quality is nothing special. I like having the wire between the ear pieces and magnetic base on the earpiece to easily hang around my neck when i need remove.

jklett

My wife got me a pair of Bose soundsport pulse a few years back, comfortable with good sound quality and has a heart rate monitor(not the most accurate but close enough for most people).

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Anyone have issues with using the zwift companion and having constant dropouts? Just started happening to me this "indoor cycling" year out of nowhere...

THATmanMANNY

Is the Zwift for Mac app/software garbage for you too?

Last year it kept crashing. Just giving it another shot. BT won’t pickup trainer

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Is the Zwift for Mac app/software garbage for you too?

Last year it kept crashing. Just giving it another shot. BT won’t pickup trainer
It’s not bad but I had 2-3 dropouts in an hour ride, Mac/zwift too. I have an ANT+ dongle too. Trying to run a HRM, Power meter, trainer all on the same wave length seems to betivint it headaches now… I used to not have to use the companion app. Wondering if this Mac is too old even though it meets the requirements…

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
It’s not bad but I had 2-3 dropouts in an hour ride, Mac/zwift too. I have an ANT+ dongle too. Trying to run a HRM, Power meter, trainer all on the same wave length seems to betivint it headaches now… I used to not have to use the companion app. Wondering if this Mac is too old even though it meets the requirements…

It’s started happening just the past month for me. Maybe 2 times but once it starts it goes on & off all ride for me.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
It’s started happening just the past month for me. Maybe 2 times but once it starts it goes on & off all ride for me.
I’ve sxtyaky lost the ERG mode feeling in the hills too during a regular ride. Even more annoying.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Is it the ANT issue which prevents a more robust setup? Are you running a second power source which stops you from just grabbing an Apple TV 4 and BTLE HRM and Cadence sensors for the trainer? Probably $100 investment. Then Run the companion app on the handlebars and off ya go. It doesn't even have to be in the foreground.

Probably live stream your session, find a filter to change the background to the 6mr trailhead.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’ve sxtyaky lost the ERG mode feeling in the hills too during a regular ride. Even more annoying.

That just happened to me once last week. It was a Zwift time machine. Like I was back on a trainer from 1986.

trener1

For the headphones, I love the Jlab Epic Sport, they sound good, the over the ear hook means that you never have to worry about them falling out mid interval and they are very durable and sweat proof.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I currently run my Snap on my iMac with the ANT+ dongle in the garage. I used to run this on my laptop, but thought a 27” monitor would make it more enjoyable. I’m gonna try and use my laptop again and see if I have any issues, again

Joe J

I run an Apple TV and will have connection issues if I have anything synched via Bluetooth to my Garmin.

Top Bottom