The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

Shaggz

A strong 7
Yes. Nearest to me is Hanover. It is not an in-store item and would have to be shipped there. I WFH and rarely drive 10 miles from my house these days. The time/gas savings was worth the $35. That being said, ETA is 11/22, not sure if it would have gotten to the store that much sooner.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Anyone else see or hear anything about the Wahoo Rollr? From the limited footage at the Worlds TT booth they had, they look pretty cool, but I don't know anything about a release date or anything like that.

FastFreddy

So is half the work out just prying these things out of the box? I'm going to get ripped just moving it around it weighs a flipping ton LOL

PXL_20211120_165622381.jpg

FastFreddy

Ok so the Kickr has been driving me nuts all weekend. I haven't tried Zwift yet need a Bluetooth adapter for my PC so right now I'm just using the Wahoo app on my phone to control it and no matter what settings I use it seems way to hard to pedal and changing gears does nothing. On the dumb trainer I set the base resistance and then just changed gears to make things harder/go faster. The Kickr feels nothing like riding a bike at all to me so I don't know what I'm missing. Does Zwift make it more like real riding? Are there settings for that? I don't care about workouts and power zone stuff I just want to hop on and ride kind of like I do IRL is that possible?

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Ok so the Kickr has been driving me nuts all weekend. I haven't tried Zwift yet need a Bluetooth adapter for my PC so right now I'm just using the Wahoo app on my phone to control it and no matter what settings I use it seems way to hard to pedal and changing gears does nothing. On the dumb trainer I set the base resistance and then just changed gears to make things harder/go faster. The Kickr feels nothing like riding a bike at all to me so I don't know what I'm missing. Does Zwift make it more like real riding? Are there settings for that? I don't care about workouts and power zone stuff I just want to hop on and ride kind of like I do IRL is that possible?
Sounds like you’re in erg mode. In that state it’ll hold you at that wattage regardless of what gear you’re in.That’s kinda the point of erg mode.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

were you able to do a spindown test?

also, try riding a route on your trainer that was recorded on your roam! it puts up the map, and you can picture the terrain.

Last edited:

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I tried using my whahoo element roam to control my trainer. It was unbelievably difficult to pedal. I'm sure your zwift ride once setup will be fine.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Sounds like you’re in erg mode. In that state it’ll hold you at that wattage regardless of what gear you’re in.That’s kinda the point of erg mode.
I think @Juggernaut might be right. I would think this is something you can fix on your app, although I use Zwift only so I woulnd't know how to change it there. I did try erg mode once and it felt exactly the way you are describing it - always tough to pedal. In fact, because it's holding watts, the slower I pedaled, the harder it got.

And while we're talking about trainer difficulty, this is not directly related to your problem now, but it's something you'll want to be aware of later. When you do set up Zwift, one of the things you can control is gradient percentage. Basically, the feeling of a gradient on the trainer is never going to match the feeling of that same gradient on an actual road - it has to do with how the calculation is done in the app you're using. Here's a pretty good article to explain how the differnet options work there. I tend to leave it at the 50% setting most of the time because I usually just use Zwift for general JRA type workouts when I can't get outside, but if you intend to race, it's somethign you may want to pay attention to and switch around accordingly.

FastFreddy

Cool thanks for all the replies everyone. Its was definitely ERG mode I found out if you start a workout in the Wahoo app and then swipe the screen to the right several times it shows you all the different modes the trainer will run. Oddly enough that setting isn't just in the app settings you actually have to start a workout first to change it. Going to try and get Zwift going tonight. Thanks for the link @1speed I actually found the ZwiftInsider guy last night when I was trying to figure things out.

trener1

I'd definitely suggest using/trying the various apps out there, to me those apps are what really make a smart trainer worth it.
Obviously Zwift is the big one, but you should try some other ones as well to see what you like, they all have free 7 day trials, check out Rouvy, RGT, Bkool just to name a few.

iman29

Cool thanks for all the replies everyone. Its was definitely ERG mode I found out if you start a workout in the Wahoo app and then swipe the screen to the right several times it shows you all the different modes the trainer will run. Oddly enough that setting isn't just in the app settings you actually have to start a workout first to change it. Going to try and get Zwift going tonight. Thanks for the link @1speed I actually found the ZwiftInsider guy last night when I was trying to figure things out.
if youre new to Zwift this guy is like the online King of all things Zwift and his videos are excellent for all types of questions, how to and recaps of new releases. I think he even has a podcast channel somewhere too.

Shane Miller aka GP Llama

FastFreddy

My internet it flying along at .08Mbps today so about as fast as I feel like I ride sometimes. I've been digging around Google and found a lot of those apps so once my internet gets back to normal I'll start downloading and check them out. And found out today Zwift requires Internet Explorer on the PC to launch, I haven't had Internet Exploder on my PC for years. I also found this app for my car racing sim Assetto Corsa that lets you ride around race tracks in the sim! Can't wait to get it working and ride around the Nurburgring Nordschleife and other race tracks for some fun. Thanks again for the help everyone.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/simcycling-for-assetto-corsa.32590/

trener1

If anyone is still in the market for a trainer after all of the REI/Black Friday sales, Saris is currently selling refurb H3's for $649.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If anyone has used TrainerRoad in the past and stopped using it, they have a really nice "Train Now" feature which I'm really liking.

Instead of just being in a plan every time you open the app it suggests 3 workouts of 3 different types based on your current fitness/riding. It'll typically recommend one of the three and you can adjust the time and it'll recommend 3 at that time length.

I'm not interested in being on a scheduled plan right now so it's really nice to be consistent and hopping on the trainer and have a workout as I open the app I can do.

Top Bottom