The Indoor Cyclist's support thread

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
This popped up on my FB feed....
Comparison of Zwift vs The Sufferfest.
There’s a code for an additional 30 day free trial on top of the standard 14 days. 44 days is enough for a decent trial...

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Set up my replacement Kickr yesterday. The 18 Kickr is so much quieter than the 17.
Only did a 15min ride to warm it up. Then did a firmware update and a spin down. I'll do a proper ride Monday.
Still recovering from covid-19.
Been off the trainer since January 27th.
20210215_130126.jpg

rlb

Set up my replacement Kickr yesterday. The 18 Kickr is so much quieter than the 17.
Only did a 15min ride to warm it up. Then did a firmware update and a spin down. I'll do a proper ride Monday.
Still recovering from covid-19.
Been off the trainer since January 27th.View attachment 152161

Glad you're recovering, hope you're back to normal soon! All of the sudden every other person I know has covid.

Did my first zwift ride today, not too shabby. But damn, I'm out of shape. And my body is not used to cycling posture anymore. And I also think my fit is off, but I'll get there! My goal is to do a century again this year. Not too lofty, but I gotta get in gear.

Hakimaki

Just tried out RGT cycling yesterday, they have this Magic Road feature which creates a route for you based on a gpx file. I was really impressed with it actually as I tried out part of the Whiteface 100k route. The turns and the gradient felt pretty spot on. I'm gonna play with it some more but it feels a little more realistic than Zwift. For example, it slows you down on turns so you're not taking 180 degree turns at 50mpg like in Zwift. Wattage also turns red to alert you to wasted energy, such as pedaling hard through turns, running into another rider, etc. It's free with a limited feature set. Just throwing it out there.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4813991851

rlb

Anyone successfully using zwift on a phone or tablet? Seems like this is not optimal with the processing power needed. I was trying to cast my phone to a chromecast and it was being finnicky. At first it was crashing the app. So instead I got into the zwift course first then cast to the TV. That worked, but the screen ratio was off. So I tried again, and I was stuck in some sort of graphics vortex. I suppose I'll use my la[top for now, I was just hoping to use some other unused electronics that are sitting around.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Anyone successfully using zwift on a phone or tablet? Seems like this is not optimal with the processing power needed. I was trying to cast my phone to a chromecast and it was being finnicky. At first it was crashing the app. So instead I got into the zwift course first then cast to the TV. That worked, but the screen ratio was off. So I tried again, and I was stuck in some sort of graphics vortex. I suppose I'll use my la[top for now, I was just hoping to use some other unused electronics that are sitting around.

casting/mirroring is tough because of all the network traffic - the whole screen is constantly changing.
it isn't like casting a video, which sends the info on "getting" the video, rather than the video.

could get a video dongle and use a cable? should be good in landscape mode?

if you can find an apple tv 4 that can run apps, it works flawlessly. (sort of - it still needs a phone for more bt devices ie cadence, hr)
i still owe DT a report on if i can get it to run on my chromebook in the android mode!

Reactions: rlb

trener1

casting/mirroring is tough because of all the network traffic - the whole screen is constantly changing.
it isn't like casting a video, which sends the info on "getting" the video, rather than the video.

if you can find an apple tv 4 that can run apps, it works flawlessly. (sort of - it still needs a phone for more bt devices ie cadence, hr)
i still owe DT a report on if i can get it to run on my chromebook in the android mode!
Hey,
Glad to see you are back in the saddle, yeah I ride Zwift with my iPad and it works flawlessly, other then the fact that it’s small.

Reactions: rlb

rlb

No HDMI output option on my phone unfortunately.

Hey,
Glad to see you are back in the saddle, yeah I ride Zwift with my iPad and it works flawlessly, other then the fact that it’s small.

Thanks! I might got this route and grab a used iPad since I know you can get HDMI out to a tv with an adapter. I can test this setup w/ my iPad from work.

rlb

If your goal is to get to get Zwift on your TV I think your easiest route is a Apple TV, cheaper then a ipad and it works really well.

Tried zwift with my work iPad and it's not a bad setup. I need to play with the TV location but will probably skip it all together, the iPad is good enough. I would rather invest in an ipad that can be used for other things since I already have 2 fire tvs with no need for another streaming box.

Apparently the trial period is different on ios (25km) vs other platforms which are 7 days, a bit annoying. Guess I'll have to pay up a few days earlier than I planned.

PXL_20210221_181444520.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Tried zwift with my work iPad and it's not a bad setup. I need to play with the TV location but will probably skip it all together, the iPad is good enough. I would rather invest in an ipad that can be used for other things since I already have 2 fire tvs with no need for another streaming box.

Apparently the trial period is different on ios (25km) vs other platforms which are 7 days, a bit annoying. Guess I'll have to pay up a few days earlier than I planned.

View attachment 152236

if i remember, they extend the trail if you haven't "made up your mind" at the end of 25km.

iman29

Anyone else make a "rocker plate" for the indoor trainer?

This idea has been around a long time but I have never had a permanent spot to set something up until this past summer. After thinking about doing something but never doing it, the real trigger was when I was rehabbing my shoulder in January and could only ride indoors for 2 weeks. Also not 100% sure I want to make something myself yet so for $7 for a pack of 2 I picked up these Yoga pads for under the feet of the trainer. The general idea is that the side to side motion helps the riding be more natural and also reduces strain on the bike.

My review after just 2-3 rides is that it is definitely making a difference while seated. The yoga pads are a bit dense by design but of course they dont adjust so the slight compression motion I can see/feel while I am seated helps a lot with the butt numbness and just general comfort.

The downside which is documented on the interweb discussions, is that the standing motion becomes incorrect due to the weight transfer. This means when the pedal goes down you lean to that side, as opposed to outside when you naturally throw/lean the bike the opposite way. I tried a few times to correct it by forcing the bars opposite of my pedal stroke but with this budget set up it doesnt seem possible. All the articles and videos I have seen indicate this is normal for a rocker plate "newbie" and having a slight more advanced type setup helps to pedal properly once the rocking and return motion is more adjustable.

Just thought to share this idea to make indoor riding a little more tolerable. Google Zwift rocker plates or there's also a FB group discussion on it with some really skilled people showing their creations and designs for free.

1614726910719.png

1614726878841.png

1614726895350.png

chuprinko

I am on my 2nd version and will not go back to a fixed trainer. First was a basic two boards and some tennis balls, worked, but wanted better. The first plate is available if anyone wants to have it.
Made the 2nd version a full rocker plate. Only with combination of tennis balls and a lacrosse ball under from wheel, and wheelbarrow tubes for side to side. Very comfortable and more realistic.
Only cost me about $65.
Used an old lazysusan for steering as well.
Maybe next version will have some fore-aft movement.

Attachments

• 20201127_190502.jpg
    20201127_190502.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 88

chuprinko

Oh yeah, really need to have less air in tubes, less than one would think for the side to side rocking. Your core will keep it centered like when riding. Easy pedaling with no hands on the bars will have the natural movement. Yes it takes a little counterpressure to have same as road movement and pedal movement, but doesn't take long. More free side to side makes this better.

Top Bottom