The Hurricane Ida Chimney Rock Relief Effort Thread

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
@Norm and @Kirt My work schedule seems to be playing nice for Thurs/Fri and i might be able to get out to do some TM. If i have a couple hours to spend, where should i focus? I have all the Jorba hand tools and know how to use them (no power tools).

krink

Eddie Munster
Hey Guys, the work looks great! I just happen to have a completed 16' bridge that was meant for somewhere else.... but someone beat me to it. Would there be any interest in me bringing it up to be used somewhere at CR?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hey Guys, the work looks great! I just happen to have a completed 16' bridge that was meant for somewhere else.... but someone beat me to it. Would there be any interest in me bringing it up to be used somewhere at CR?

Unfortunately we are not allowed to build/install bridges as volunteers. The park does recognize that some of these new...let's call them waterways...will need special attention. So we are waiting to see what direction the park wants to go there.

Thanks!

krink

Eddie Munster
Unfortunately we are not allowed to build/install bridges as volunteers. The park does recognize that some of these new...let's call them waterways...will need special attention. So we are waiting to see what direction the park wants to go there.

Thanks!
No worries. Let me know if it can be of use, I can bring it up.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
ooof of course. Thats a great idea. But some of those bridges in 6M are works of art, not sure mine's up to snuff.

There are some cool truss bridges there, but we'll find a place for a 16' span. @jdog, where?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wednesday, September 15th

Dear diary,

Today I did something that some might consider questionable. I took a flat shovel and took a walk to this disgusting cesspool on the ballfield trails at Chimney Rock Park:

V5VRqRG.jpg

I then spent an hour literally shoveling shit. It now looks better, though I am not going to lie, it still smells awful.

yME9CGl.jpg

Sometimes people do things which cause them to question their life choices. I can say that today, after doing this, I can confirm that I have made the right life choice in terms of a career. Not having to shovel shit every day is a really, really good decision in hindsight.

I do not think this chapter is closed. We may need to go in and fill this trail with fresh dirt to raise the bed of this trail up a bit. While it is infinitely better than it was, it's still gross. Ideally we would drop a dump truck of fresh dirt on this. But we don't have that luxury so we'll need to get creative.

In a few days this should dry out and be passable. As it is now, it's poop-free but still greasy.

krink

Eddie Munster
boardwalk the whole section like the Sourlands wetlands?
Back in PA we have boardwalked wet areas quickly using shipping pallets as a primary platform. I know of a local place thats looking to get rid of a bunch, any interest?

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
@Norm in some of the low-lying spots in the Sourlands we took to literally throwing rocks on the trail. Like piling them on. They settled down quickly and make for a quick armoring fix.

In this crappy section of trail (I crack myself up) you may want to consider a layering: shitdirt -> rock pile -> fresh dirt. Dirt on top will settle in and pack up nice. This way the fresh dirt doesn’t mix with that bad crowd underneath. If the two dirts are next to each other with nothing between and they mix, the next thing you know that young dirt is listening to heavy metal and smoking cigarettes.

krink

Eddie Munster
@Norm in some of the low-lying spots in the Sourlands we took to literally throwing rocks on the trail. Like piling them on. They settled down quickly and make for a quick armoring fix.

In this crappy section of trail (I crack myself up) you may want to consider a layering: shitdirt -> rock pile -> fresh dirt. Dirt on top will settle in and pack up nice. This way the fresh dirt doesn’t mix with that bad crowd underneath. If the two dirts are next to each other with nothing between and they mix, the next thing you know that young dirt is listening to heavy metal and smoking cigarettes.
and that shitdirt is living in the basement and smelling things up for years after it should be gone.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah you guys rock! Guardrail climb looks even better than before the storm.

I rode the park today and went way around the shit. The pile on the bottom of Yellow even though it looks bad, rides really well. I also cannot believe how well they fixed Orange, 🤯
Some liked it before and some did not. I know there will be the Jorba haters that will say we sanitized that section but it was actually the storm that did it. There was almost not rocks left on it and had a big gully. We back filled the hole with rocks and then cut down the edge to get dirt and dragged it onto the trail. Then we cut in a bunch of nicks to help some the water get off earlier. At some point the old trail will reappear, cause fall line. Lets just hope that the gully doesn't come with it.
High Tech is freaking amazing. @Kirt isn't too bad, as well.

Yeah those guys are great, and the last 2 crews were truly amazing, but it's kinda of expected as they are getting paid. Unlike some idiot that spends his entire day doing it for free. ;)

Just to give a sense of how deeply eroded the streambed is at the top of red, here is a pic of my 29er inside of it. Easily at stem height.

View attachment 167092

Here is a less dramatic shot of the approach coming from the Newman side. It's definitely hike a bike unless you have some impressive trials chops.

View attachment 167093
I've told a few people that pics do not do it justice, it's huge. We walked up yesterday thinking we can some how fix this with hand tools, ha. Crazy to think what it was before vs after.

@Norm and @Kirt My work schedule seems to be playing nice for Thurs/Fri and i might be able to get out to do some TM. If i have a couple hours to spend, where should i focus? I have all the Jorba hand tools and know how to use them (no power tools).
The switchbacks on orange could use some clean up. Lots of loose rocks and such. Could use a touch up of the benching as well. Same with High Tech.

I'll add that a group of rangers did some clean up on yellow today. They cleared rock from the river trail, removed the debris from top of the buried bridge, cut some trees out and some other clean up. Getting there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Switchbacks on orange can use some raking of pebbles/debris. Then maybe chopping down the high side to widen the turn radius and pull that dirt down to the lower side to firm up that footing. That's something that you can do with reasonable effort. Unfortunately you can't park at Gilbride right now as the lot is closed.

TomS887

I've told a few people that pics do not do it justice, it's huge. We walked up yesterday thinking we can some how fix this with hand tools, ha. Crazy to think what it was before vs after.
I wonder if given how slow a stream it is (usually) if a piece of 24" culvert pipe would work, though it might be too wide and deep now for that to be practical. Perhaps not the prettiest option either

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions