The Freeride Thread

a.s.

Mr. Chainring

Monster T's, HT's with 24" Gazzalodi's and tall forks, big seats, and everything else freeride.

I wasn't this hardcore but had a Kona Stinky with a Z1 that I have fond memories of.
I remember guys running Big Hits with 24 in the back and 26 up front on Monster Ts. These yougens think they're so innovative with their mullet setups. Been there done that. :D

Ian F

I remember guys running Big Hits with 24 in the back and 26 up front on Monster Ts. These yougens think they're so innovative with their mullet setups. Been there done that. :D
I ran a 24x3/26x2.6 mullet set up on my old Foes Weasel with a Monster T.

Edit: thinking about it... I ran a bunch of different forks on that bike. Starting with a WB UD150, then an uber-rare, original Super T, then finally the Monster T before I parted the bike out back in the early 00's when I stopped racing DH. This was usually my back-up or "lend to a friend" bike and I didn't ride it myself very much after I bought my Yeti Lawwill DH-6 in late '98 (followed by a couple of M-1s).

Last edited:

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yoann Barelli just announced he’s leaving Commencal 😢. I bought my Meta because of him. Wondering what I have to buy next... maybe he’s going to Cube with Remy? I wonder if Commencal dropped him because he quit racing....
1610464585222.jpeg

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Love this dude's energy and attitude. Pinkbike had his welcome to GG vid. Said he loves the bike already and is already faster on it. Of course that could just be for the camera but whatever. Waiting patiently for his first real vid of the year to drop. Into the GNAR!
I like GG bikes but I think it's such a miss. They have like 8 bikes and their overlap is clear and yet no freeride bike or DH bike. And everything starts at $5500 now. The company puzzles me.

Ian F

The GG marketing ethos seems to have been: "How can we save costs by just manufacturing a few carbon front triangle sizes and turn that into a feature?" I'd swear all 5 models they offer use the same front triangle regardless of wheel size or travel... :confused:

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
The GG marketing ethos seems to have been: "How can we save costs by just manufacturing a few carbon front triangle sizes and turn that into a feature?" I'd swear all 5 models they offer use the same front triangle regardless of wheel size or travel... :confused:
Good catch. I thought they all looked a bit too similar. I'm just surprised they went in the "boutique" direction which seems at odds with their branding. I would have thoughts they'd be an all-alloy, privateer-oriented company before they'd be an all-carbon $6k bike and up company.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
You're missing the point. The purpose of having the same front triangle not only keeps costs low, but allows you to run different travel, wheel size, mixed wheel-size, geometry, etc. but just changing the rear seat-says. I'd say these guys are doing it right.

Ian F

You're missing the point. The purpose of having the same front triangle not only keeps costs low, but allows you to run different travel, wheel size, mixed wheel-size, geometry, etc. but just changing the rear seat-says. I'd say these guys are doing it right.
No... I'm not sure about that. But I also haven't ridden one. Using a single front triangle for all configurations mean there had to be compromises. The requirements of a 120mm travel frame are not the same as those of a 160mm travel frame. Ditto a 29er vs. a 27.5. Granted, modern geometry has gotten to the point where pretty much every short travel trail bike has gone "full enduro", but no matter what they had to make changes to make the front end work for all bikes that might not necessarily be perfect for any of them.
That's not to say it isn't a good business model if they can make it work.

ebarker9

Main compromise seems to be weight, mostly on the shorter travel models. But their general approach seems to prioritize robust and simple with things like their more impact resistant carbon and cable routing vs low weight. That plus the ability to change models with a chainstay swap, US manufacturing, and their efforts towards more environmentally friendly manufacturing make them a really interesting company, at least in my mind. Seemed to be some hints of wheels on the way as well, where their carbon approach seemingly would pay off even more.

Reactions: don

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Remy has the style part really dialed in, but he couldn't qualify for any of the WC downhills, which tells you how fast everyone else really is.
Is that definitely the case? He won DH Jr world champs in 2013, beating vergier and slaughtering shaw by 14 seconds. How many times has he attempted to qualify for world cups since?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's

ebarker9

Is that definitely the case? He won DH Jr world champs in 2013, beating vergier and slaughtering shaw by 14 seconds. How many times has he attempted to qualify for world cups since?

Think you're talking about Richie vs Remy. Richie could absolutely be competing for wins/podiums at a WC DH level.

Top Bottom