The Freeride Thread

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This sweetness popped up on the FB canfield thread.

Reactions: don

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
This is the perfect rowdy build... damn, that is sweet...
The guy at fanatik told me the zeb select is only OEM and not available aftermarket. Is that correct? Because a 38mm super stiff single crown fork available anywhere between 150 and 190mm for $800 is pretty much exactly what we all want.

Reactions: don

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The guy at fanatik told me the zeb select is only OEM and not available aftermarket. Is that correct? Because a 38mm super stiff single crown fork available anywhere between 150 and 190mm for $800 is pretty much exactly what we all want.
Never heard that before... there could be an OEM specific version, but everyone has the basic Select for sale at $799. I’m hoping to snag one for my Meta before race season because my lyrik is toast.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Never heard that before... there could be an OEM specific version, but everyone has the basic Select for sale at $799. I’m hoping to snag one for my Meta before race season because my lyrik is toast.
Well fanatik won't let you add a select in their custom builds. Bastards!

I was wondering if the lyric and yari are robust enough for park use. I always thought they were 36 or 37mm stations but I saw the other day they're 35.

Meanwhile the guy at the shop was saying fox no longer makes a 34 at 150mm because it wasn't stiff enough but you can get a 35mm yari at 180mm lol.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was wondering if the lyric and yari are robust enough for park use.
I have 4 seasons of park use on a 170mm Lyrik. It’s been a beast. The only reason mine is “toast” is because I scratched the hell out of the stanchions and never did anything about it. Technically the fork still operates fine but I have to change lower leg oil like every other ride.

I’m pretty sure Yari and Lyrik are the exact same chassis just different internals.

Ian F

I think it depends on how you ride. I have a Helm on my Megatower with 160mm travel and it also has 35mm stanchions. I'm not pro DH/enduro rider so I'm not hitting rock gardens at mach speeds. But I've over-shot some jumps and landed to flat from about 12' and the fork took it fine. To me, the stanchion diameter wars are a good for top level pros and maybe heavier riders, but are otherwise just more marketing.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it depends on how you ride. I have a Helm on my Megatower with 160mm travel and it also has 35mm stanchions. I'm not pro DH/enduro rider so I'm not hitting rock gardens at mach speeds. But I've over-shot some jumps and landed to flat from about 12' and the fork took it fine. To me, the stanchion diameter wars are a good for top level pros and maybe heavier riders, but are otherwise just more marketing.
My understanding is that you really feel the difference in cornering at speed, not rock gardens or jumping. Imagine railing a hard berm full of braking bumps...the added stiffness will keep you on the rails.

sundaydoug

I was wondering if the lyric and yari are robust enough for park use.

Lyrik is a great fork, so long as you keep up with service intervals. I had 4 bike park seasons on mine before I replaced it with a Fox 38 earlier this year.

The 38 is noticeably stiffer, particularly under hard braking and hard cornering.

Ian F

My understanding is that you really feel the difference in cornering at speed, not rock gardens or jumping. Imagine railing a hard berm full of braking bumps...the added stiffness will keep you on the rails.
I guess... I've never felt fork stiffness was a factor for me in railing berms... well... at least as much as my shitty technique goes. Berms are arguably the weakest part of my riding.

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dude…

934B5BE1-C1A8-4F8D-B4F5-A88C75FE9E65.png

ebarker9

The level of these guys is so crazy. And they make all of these lines seem almost mundane with how confident and smooth they are.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So the Ramapo free ride spot is alive and well. It could use some love but is totally rideable. Doing a top to bottom run will be insane but will prob take a few more trips to dial everything in . Passed on a few features because doing so many things in one day is kinda sensory overload for me . Lots of blind sends and or multiple features that come up quickly so you need to keep brain thinking ahead instead of focusing on one feature .
VideoCapture_20220423-142915.jpg
received_1583836332002468.jpeg

Attachments

• received_1583836332002468.jpeg
    received_1583836332002468.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 104
  • VideoCapture_20220423-142915.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220423-142915.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 106

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah there was a nice roller you could gap that immediately put you in front of a shitty kicker, which launched you over some nasty rocks on an even shittier landing. Right after that was a big rock roller to flat - you can see Nico clear the first two but then wash out at the bottom of the roller (2:49). I tacoed a wheel pretty good on that one. Fun times! 🤪
Can confirm this section is tricky and has consequences. 🤣🤘 but totally awesome at the same time ill def be heading back

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm too old for that shit, plus MC opens next week.
:banana:
I hear ya , but creek isn't open all year long and it's nice to have options in the off season to get some proper sends in . Major kudos to whoever built this shit its not easy to get to and its mostly just rock . Can't imagine lugging tools and supplies into those spots .

Ian F

It would be fun to go back there. The last time I ride there was 20 years ago - and I wrecked on one of the rocky-step sections and broke my hand. Partly because I had made some incorrect changes to my M-1.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I hear ya , but creek isn't open all year long and it's nice to have options in the off season to get some proper sends in . Major kudos to whoever built this shit its not easy to get to and its mostly just rock . Can't imagine lugging tools and supplies into those spots .
Hit me up in November. 🤣

Top Bottom