The DIY thread - DIYourself

So about a week ago turned on the internal valve for the hose bib and of course it’s leaking everywhere. Figured out if I open it all the way and twist it hard it only drips every minute. It’s above the sump pit so no risk of water damage anywhere but I have a bucket under it anyway.

While I can probably reach the valve and replace the washer the real issue is more that both hose bibs (one each side of the house) need to get changed out anyway the outside handles are broken and they leak too.

I’m confident enough I could probably do it myself and get YouTube certified but i would have to go out and buy tools and a torch and for a one time job makes more sense to have someone with experience do it properly. I’d assume the outside and inside all get replaced with quarter turn too.

Both pipes inside are easily accessible from
The Basement which has unfinished ceilings and walls so no risk of messing up floors and Sheetrock.

Anyone on here interested to make a few bucks and some beers ? For the Local plumbers this is too small of a job for them they don’t even call me back.

BEA8ED24-7D19-4969-BC34-CAC6A179C1F4.jpegD1F68D7B-99A4-4612-B2D6-75DA843D02BE.jpeg

Seems like a good opportunity to do PEX and maybe Sharkbite style fittings where it joins up to copper, especially given the low risk of damage if anything does fail. I have a Pex crimp tool you're welcome to borrow, but also understand the appeal of getting someone else to do it.

Edit: Also have a torch and all of that stuff if you want to give it a go. Then you can prompt me to finally learn and finish my own projects.

Last edited:
this job is not hard to do and a torch isnt expensive and is good have around for other stuff too, the hard part is going to be having the water to the house shut off while you do it. (unless they have a secondary cutoff that isolates them from the rest of the house)

then w/e fittings ect you need.

the sharbite isnt hard to do either, and saves you needing a torch, i have used them when i dont have room for a torch (think wall cavity on 100 year old house is a bad place to take a torch, but thats just me) and if you get the brass ones are acceptable for use with copper, just buy the sharkbite removal tool before you get started, trust me.

this job is not hard to do and a torch isnt expensive and is good have around for other stuff too, the hard part is going to be having the water to the house shut off while you do it. (unless they have a secondary cutoff that isolates them from the rest of the house)

then w/e fittings ect you need.

the sharbite isnt hard to do either, and saves you needing a torch, i have used them when i dont have room for a torch (think wall cavity on 100 year old house is a bad place to take a torch, but thats just me) and if you get the brass ones are acceptable for use with copper, just buy the sharkbite removal tool before you get started, trust me.

Agree with the above. As for tight places and old wood, I dunk an old towel in water and tack it around the area of the pipe, dripping wet. And keep a fire extinguisher handy as well.
You can use a propane torch for a lot more than sweat soldering too. Getting fire started in a fire pit, heating up tight nuts, reason for new bike, etc.

thanks guys will take all the above into consideration when I am sure I have time to make the 3+ required trips back and forth to the store for said plumbing supplies if I decide to take this on myself.

Just to clarify, the sharkbite is push to fit, or it also needs a crimp tool? ....uh oh heading down the rabbit hole of DIY videos already....

thanks guys will take all the above into consideration when I am sure I have time to make the 3+ required trips back and forth to the store for said plumbing supplies if I decide to take this on myself.

Just to clarify, the sharkbite is push to fit, or it also needs a crimp tool? ....uh oh heading down the rabbit hole of DIY videos already....

SharkBite is push to fit, which is helpful when connecting to existing copper to avoid sweating/soldering. Pex crimp would be cheaper than doing all SharkBite with the new fittings, but either would work.

If you're doing it in only 3+ trips, that's way ahead of the game.

Edit: For example, a sharkbite tee ($13):

A tee for Pex ($3.50):

SharkBite is push to fit, which is helpful when connecting to existing copper to avoid sweating/soldering. Pex crimp would be cheaper than doing all SharkBite with the new fittings, but either would work.

If you're doing it in only 3+ trips, that's way ahead of the game.

Edit: For example, a sharkbite tee ($13):

A tee for Pex ($3.50):

gaining confidence here especially on the push to fit approach. thanks.

Lucky for me not only do I have easy access to the valves inside, for each one there is a secondary shutoff a bit further back up the water lines so I dont have to shut the water off to the whole house.

Worst case, when I had my dishwasher replaced last year (i think) the valves on either side of the water meter were old style multi turn and broke off and were replaced professionally with 1/4 turn ball valves so I am set there and can easily turn off the main supply.

So about a week ago turned on the internal valve for the hose bib and of course it’s leaking everywhere. Figured out if I open it all the way and twist it hard it only drips every minute. It’s above the sump pit so no risk of water damage anywhere but I have a bucket under it anyway.

While I can probably reach the valve and replace the washer the real issue is more that both hose bibs (one each side of the house) need to get changed out anyway the outside handles are broken and they leak too.

I’m confident enough I could probably do it myself and get YouTube certified but i would have to go out and buy tools and a torch and for a one time job makes more sense to have someone with experience do it properly. I’d assume the outside and inside all get replaced with quarter turn too.

Both pipes inside are easily accessible from
The Basement which has unfinished ceilings and walls so no risk of messing up floors and Sheetrock.

Anyone on here interested to make a few bucks and some beers ? For the Local plumbers this is too small of a job for them they don’t even call me back.

View attachment 214056View attachment 214057

They make wall hydrants with a shark bite on the end. They make them up to 20" long. Cut line at valve, pull current. Push in wall hydrant. Cut copper to correct length. Attach and secure

Yt plumber approved

Good timing, I have a leak on the shut off valve to the outdoor shower. Never repaired pex before is this a simple repair? Leak is the first pic for the cold supply. Red is similar but was easier to show setup
PXL_20230521_140530452.jpgPXL_20230521_140635325.jpgPXL_20230521_140639427.jpg

Well if you get cold or wet feet, call Kevin from Plum Crazy 973-945-4784. I have used him for a few smallish things. Because it’s funner to ride a bike.

Good timing, I have a leak on the shut off valve to the outdoor shower. Never repaired pex before is this a simple repair? Leak is the first pic for the cold supply. Red is similar but was easier to show setup
View attachment 214092View attachment 214093View attachment 214094
The PEX repair is easy if you have the tools.

You'll need a shark bite removal tool. A PEX cutting tool. A PEX band cutting tool, a PEX crimp tool, and some pex

Let me know if you need these things

@iman29 I would only add that if you don't have a secondary shut off valve for the outside spigots it would be a good time to add one, just in case 'someone' forgets to disconnect the hose and the temperature drops below freezing point overnight...

@iman29 I would only add that if you don't have a secondary shut off valve for the outside spigots it would be a good time to add one, just in case 'someone' forgets to disconnect the hose and the temperature drops below freezing point overnight...
Yup already have those from prev homeowner mentioned a few posts up.

That someone is always me anyway and I am meticulous about the winter shutoff sequence because of the horrible fear of water damage from a burst pipe.

Professionals at work. Allegedly.
Working 18" to the side of one ladder running in lag bolts. Might want to turn and move the ladder. But wtf do I know?

24' awning with 13.5' projection. Too big to diy

IMG_4384.jpeg

A an aside, they are reinstalling it after asking what I wanted, ignoring it, and doing what they wanted, even tho the work order called for centered and tight to the soffit, they left justified and set the front edge 7' off the ground.

Cost them at least 16 work hours to correct

Back
Top Bottom