The DIY thread - DIYourself

Over the Bars

Hysterical daughter with a broken princess wand, no problem dad to the rescue. Now she can be the coolest girl in day care with her newly improved carbon fiber princess wand. Crisis averted!! I'll make sure she stores it inside the house and not in the cold garage to avoid cracking.20220109_184846.jpg20220109_185032.jpg

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Have any nails make a turn and come out where you don't want them?
YoungTenseIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gif

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is replacing a few bad spots of copper pipe with PEX and sharkbites a bad idea? I’ve got the tiniest leak. Like 1 drop per day. But I know it’ll get worse if I’m gone for a few days and flood by basement.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Is replacing a few bad spots of copper pipe with PEX and sharkbites a bad idea? I’ve got the tiniest leak. Like 1 drop per day. But I know it’ll get worse if I’m gone for a few days and flood by basement.

they sell a repair sharkbite that is a couple inches long -
Should last forever - just clean any burrs on the outside of the pipe with a file after you cut it.
It should also be reamed.

You slide it on one end, then slide it back over the other with the disconnect tool, if the pipes don't move.

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
they sell a repair sharkbite that is a couple inches long -
Should last forever - just clean any burrs on the outside of the pipe with a file after you cut it.
It should also be reamed.

You slide it on one end, then slide it back over the other with the disconnect tool, if the pipes don't move.

I need to do a 3 way valve and a little bit each way off the intersection.

C72C499D-B090-4AC1-874B-23855433A461.jpeg

And after bonus time maybe I’ll finally get that water softener. Lol.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
youll be fine, iv done a similar repair with sharkbite and PEX since it was in the wall and i wasnt firing up the torch in a stud bay. when i did it only the brass sharkbites would work on copper and were $$$$ but worth it to not need a torch.

EDIT: that repair was done in 2016 and hasnt been a problem since

excuse the bad angles, space was kinda limited.

20161120_134349.jpg20161120_134441.jpg

20161120_115428.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I need to do a 3 way valve and a little bit each way off the intersection.

View attachment 175988

And after bonus time maybe I’ll finally get that water softener. Lol.

that isn't from hard water - the installer didn't wipe off the flux and it has been slowly corroding the pipe.

Repair sharkbite Tee

Get a pex/tubing cutter if you don't have one. Much better than using a razor knife.

Rotate the T, and cut back the top pipe so you can flex the pex!

I'll be over in clinton today if you want a pipe cutter -

Is this in your basement?

Last edited:

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
that isn't from hard water - the installer didn't wipe off the flux and it has been slowly corroding the pipe.

Get a pex/tubing cutter if you don't have one. Much better than using a razor knife.

Rotate the T, and cut back the top pipe so you can flex the pex!

I'll be over in clinton today if you want a pipe cutter -

Is this in your basement?
Yep. And rotating t was my plan. Seems I’m on the right track. I got the deburring tools and the pex cutter. My neighbor has a pipe cutter. I just want to make sure this isn’t a shortcut, as opposed to calling a plumber and paying $x00.00.
1E421B4A-A4B7-49CC-8360-588F3515CEFA.jpeg

rick81721

Lothar
youll be fine, iv done a similar repair with sharkbite and PEX since it was in the wall and i wasnt firing up the torch in a stud bay. when i did it only the brass sharkbites would work on copper and were $$$$ but worth it to not need a torch.

EDIT: that repair was done in 2016 and hasnt been a problem since

excuse the bad angles, space was kinda limited.

View attachment 175995View attachment 175996

View attachment 175997

Work around the Knights Templar plumbing?

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yep. And rotating t was my plan. Seems I’m on the right track. I got the deburring tools and the pex cutter. My neighbor has a pipe cutter. I just want to make sure this isn’t a shortcut, as opposed to calling a plumber and paying $x00.00.
View attachment 176000
Oh shit, you got the Red - that's the summer PEX, you need the Blue for a winter install.

Top Bottom