The DIY thread - DIYourself

Putting the saga to bed for now-
Grillzebo is alive with the sound of music!

809890CF-D73E-4B93-B890-F06811661D60.jpeg

Staggered the butts, because pro
D4EBDF77-7746-484B-8660-BD01C86D18A7.jpeg

Glommed the butts with liquid tape for good measure
8F89A95D-6AC7-4113-AECD-9CA2EFC54132.jpeg

And a wrap or two of tape for neatness.
FCC32612-BA41-42A5-A16B-2EED8EE214B3.jpeg

Was a little bummed to find some black contamination on one of the existing lines, despite trimming well back into healthy cable. Corrosion, manufacturer defect, contamination from cranking filthy metal riffs? I dunno, but tested that channel and it’s as clean and strong as the other, so we’ll run it.

WXPN was kind enough to cue up Coltrane’s Giant Steps, Davis’ Kind of Blue and Brubeck’s Take Five just as I was getting to testing mode.
Sat with a cup of coffee and enjoyed.
Very nice.

Of course the pest fence and bricks I had dry fitted perfectly did not go back as easily after the wiring, that’s for spring I guess.
And I need to remember there are 4 potentially live rat traps under that deck. Lol.

On to the next project, vinyl plank flooring in my family room, powder room and foyer. Started by ripping out the ceramic tile:m, started by hand and quickly rented a demo hammer:
33D5F123-3254-4B4D-8BF1-FEE251B2EE67.jpeg
Ended up finding this sweet linoleum floor underneath, too bad it is all messed up
67F343CB-7DA0-4FDE-896C-1C9E77E78B39.jpeg
Keeping the tile in the laundry room, so made a cut with an angle grinder: can out ok but chipped the end but the transition Strip should cover most of it:
3D1AF3EE-8C4D-400A-BD0C-16263BED1C42.jpeg

On to the next project, vinyl plank flooring in my family room, powder room and foyer. Started by ripping out the ceramic tile:m, started by hand and quickly rented a demo hammer:
View attachment 171908
Ended up finding this sweet linoleum floor underneath, too bad it is all messed up
View attachment 171909
Keeping the tile in the laundry room, so made a cut with an angle grinder: can out ok but chipped the end but the transition Strip should cover most of it:
View attachment 171910
A tool like this does a good job for all the floor things you did or plan to do.

I was probably just going to go over top the linoleum, any reason not to?
Someone with better knowledge of flooring than me might have a reason. I would assume as long as it's solid and nothing is loose.

When I did the renovation of our whole house 10yrs ago, there were approximately 5 layers of linoleum on the bathroom floor. After using the heavy duty scraper, this tool made quick work of getting it pretty clean prior to installing a 1/4" subfloor, then engineered hardwood flooring.

I was probably just going to go over top the linoleum, any reason not to?
this project looks just like the one the wife wants in the foyer, family room and powder room but instead of tile we have carpet over concrete slab. The foyer has rolled linoleum. I am avoiding this project like the plague because this will lead to a family room makeover including painting, new trim, base moulding and furniture replacement etc....

as far as the installation, the new stuff with the built in underlayment in the planks is made to get installed right over the top. I did this in my bathroom a few years back and posted somewhere on here but since it was a full bathroom I used the "luxury vinyl tile" which is waterproof. (credit goes to @Patrick for this recommendation) I went right over the old 5 x 5 shitty tile after doing some spot repairs and leveling with some floating floor leveler (I did not do the whole thing).

The key is to make sure the floor is smooth and no irregularities otherwise after a while the interlocking tiles can separate. its been 2 years I think and the bathroom floor is still the best looking part of the bathroom and it was the first time I ever tried doing it.

this project looks just like the one the wife wants in the foyer, family room and powder room but instead of tile we have carpet over concrete slab. The foyer has rolled linoleum. I am avoiding this project like the plague because this will lead to a family room makeover including painting, new trim, base moulding and furniture replacement etc....

as far as the installation, the new stuff with the built in underlayment in the planks is made to get installed right over the top. I did this in my bathroom a few years back and posted somewhere on here but since it was a full bathroom I used the "luxury vinyl tile" which is waterproof. (credit goes to @Patrick for this recommendation) I went right over the old 5 x 5 shitty tile after doing some spot repairs and leveling with some floating floor leveler (I did not do the whole thing).

The key is to make sure the floor is smooth and no irregularities otherwise after a while the interlocking tiles can separate. its been 2 years I think and the bathroom floor is still the best looking part of the bathroom and it was the first time I ever tried doing it.
Yeah, the vinyl flooring has come a long way, I used 30 sq ft for the landing at the top of the basement stairs and it is really impressive stuff. I will be using vinyl planking flooring for this job. I am using a brand with a cork backing. I am still going to use an underlayment to give more of a barrier from the slab/linoleum.

And yes, this triggered a new vanity, paint, trim in the bathroom. I already painted the ceiling in the family room last weekend and did some wall repairs…

for you GCs in here what is the rough order of magnitude of pole barn cost, 6-8 cars?
basic, just concrete, framework, one big door, and enclosure

are these prefab'd things legit?
https://www.bigbuildingsdirect.com/...MI36-tnrnA9AIVONSzCh1fcgnhEAsYAiABEgJCzfD_BwE

pic for attn
size-diagram.jpg

for you GCs in here what is the rough order of magnitude of pole barn cost, 6-8 cars?
basic, just concrete, framework, one big door, and enclosure

are these prefab'd things legit?
https://www.bigbuildingsdirect.com/...MI36-tnrnA9AIVONSzCh1fcgnhEAsYAiABEgJCzfD_BwE

pic for attn
size-diagram.jpg

you'll need a mortgage to get a pad that big, and the town won't let you put it up anyway,
8 cars is 50x50 at least. if you want to be able to get around them and not have to shuffle.
Go smaller, and go up with a storage lift system. 11 or 12' ceiling on first floor, with storage above,

My brother went for about $30k for 2.5 car (has a front door) standard height/depth no floor, no electricity after superstorm sandy crushed his old garage.
Had the floor poured when he could afford it. Has pull down stairs. and attic truss storage.

Back
Top Bottom