The DIY thread - DIYourself

iman29

How ironic is it that my neighbor 2 blocks over left this at the curb this morning and I saw it during my dog walk. I texted him and he said it works fine it just needs a battery but he replaced it with a water powered pump.

I went back for it anyway 5 minutes later with the car and it was already gone.
E935F9E7-B009-4096-A8A3-A58ACBFF5AA4.jpeg

serviceguy

As someone who's spent some time around restaurant's, specifically working in them, and a family member owning a bar, I've observed many owners don't update unless they absolutely have to.
Lol, I was jokingly ‘angry’ at what I thought was the stereotype of the gun hiding behind the toilet tank in an Italian restaurant …but yes that seems to be the case often, marble palace up front, middle of nowhere gas station toiletry in the back…

ekuhn

How ironic is it that my neighbor 2 blocks over left this at the curb this morning and I saw it during my dog walk. I texted him and he said it works fine it just needs a battery but he replaced it with a water powered pump.

I went back for it anyway 5 minutes later with the car and it was already gone.
View attachment 169858
Thats a bummer. Shoulda strapped it to the pup.

JDurk

Lol, I was jokingly ‘angry’ at what I thought was the stereotype of the gun hiding behind the toilet tank in an Italian restaurant …but yes that seems to be the case often, marble palace up front, middle of nowhere gas station toiletry in the back…
One of the most memorable movie scenes ever, but reading @Patrick 's comment of a 20y/o belt and the part about everything in a restaurant is disgusting, was more the point.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
it isn't supposed to do that.

Under-cabinet bev fridge - and by bev i mean beer.

IMG_0808.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
it isn't supposed to do that.

Under-cabinet bev fridge - and by bev i mean beer.

View attachment 169937

Well - in the good news department.
After thawing out the block of ice, and putting the cover back in-place, i fired it up and it is ALIVE!

BxJdT3K.gif

Temp of air coming out of the evaporator section - was about 8F colder than the input air.
Sounds reasonable - a full size a/c system does around 15F when running well.

IMG_0810.JPG

After 45 minutes of so, the box was cool enough to shut down the compressor and fan.
My guess is the door was left ajar, and it iced up.

Last edited:

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
Well - in the good news department.
After thawing out the block of ice, and putting the cover back in-place, i fired it up and it is ALIVE!

View attachment 169953

Temp of air coming out of the evaporator section - was about 8F colder than the input air.
Sounds reasonable - a full size a/c system does around 15F when running well.

After 45 minutes of so, the box was cool enough to shut down the compressor and fan.
My guess is the door was left ajar, and it iced up.
jar1.jpgjar2.jpgjar3.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The saga continues-
I still need to do the splices and sheathing on the wires, but figured I’d stick this in place in the meantime.
B670607E-F520-433C-97A0-363D2BDE7AFC.jpeg
I was pleasantly surprised with how thick the gauge is on these.
I got the sm/med which are 8.5” tall, but gapped at 2”. I think it’ll be enough, but oddly the large/xl is gapped at 1.5”.
Worst case, I can overlap them for this short run.

When I finalize these, I’ll set them below the deck to blend in, and bury them in some gravel.

We’ll see how this holds, then splice my wires back together.

iman29

catching up on some projects here the last 2 weeks.

first one was the powder room toilet bowl not flushing fully. This led to me yelling at the kids to who were forgetting to flush but then I realized it was some issue with the flosh valve (or so i thought). This is the same toilet where I had a leak a few years ago and it turned out the drain collar was loose. I had a whole thread here somewhere way back where I had to replace it with an insert and then fix the surrounding pipe with hydraulic cement to secure the bolt downs.

I figured this was an easy fix I got the replacement valve kit installed no problem but then it took me 15-20 times to adjust it including uninstalling the valve to make it taller so it would fill with more water. Even after all the adjusting it still flushes too slow so I have a call into our plumber friend to see if he thinks I need to snake the line. so much for saving a few bucks.

GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail
GetAttachmentThumbnail

The yesterday I finally got around to installing the replacement blower fan for the Viking range hood. This is the 2nd time I have had to replace the motor since the original one went out, but the last time I had to disassemble the entire range hood because the replacement fan was a newer model and needed an adapter plate.

This time I only needed to remove the air filters to access the space, and then undo 4 x 10mm nuts and unplug the quick connect for the electric. Then i washed off the fan cover and transferred it to the new one (no after pic of that part). The hardest part was twisting myself under the range hood without wrecking my back since I am 6'2" but this was literally plug and play - and with my gorilla arms and a socket wrench extension I could reach it very easily.

One of the times I declare a DIY win and saved myself ~$150 service call fee (even if the replacement fan was $400 :-(

GetAttachmentThumbnail
1636740347099.png
GetAttachmentThumbnail

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okay, me puzzling on this is coming up with nothing, so let’s see what you guys got.

I’m wanting to put a roof over my woodpile and get away from disposable tarps.
I’m envisioning corrugated plastic roofing, somehow supported- trick is, supported by what?

It would need to extend about 3’, the run is 8-10’- I’m preferring not to have to mount posts in the ground to support it.
Ideally it would have a steeper pitch than the roof to shed snow.
That header thingy is 2 sistered 2x6”s-
There are 3 2x4’s in the run trussing the roof.
let me know your thoughts.

789729AD-5ED5-4C98-BF49-7EC4C3616CF0.jpeg

EA72FF2A-82C8-4437-A5DA-453A8D961037.jpeg

477213C0-9782-41C9-A7CA-22F95BEA5FB1.jpeg

944F6F05-3C99-429A-9AC0-2345AE78335A.jpeg

Edit: also considered some framed cap to place on the wood racks themselves.

Last edited:

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Okay, me puzzling on this is coming up with nothing, so let’s see what you guys got.

I’m wanting to put a roof over my woodpile and get away from disposable tarps.
I’m envisioning corrugated plastic roofing, somehow supported- trick is, supported by what?

It would need to extend about 3’, the run is 8-10’- I’m preferring not to have to mount posts in the ground to support it.
Ideally it would have a steeper pitch than the roof to shed snow.
That header thingy is 2 sistered 2x6”s-
There are 3 2x4’s in the run trussing the roof.
let me know your thoughts.

View attachment 171285

View attachment 171284

View attachment 171286

View attachment 171287

Edit: also considered some framed cap to place on the wood racks themselves.
simple...
fire.

iman29

what about something like this - i googled Firewood shed

get 2 old pallets from one of the million places giving them away for free as the base, and then use Deck blocks on the corners for some 4 x 4 posts so you dont have to dig any holes.

should be strong enough to make a simple roof structure and then use your corrugated roof material idea so it doesnt have a ton of weight.'

Adding anything off the GrillZeebo might be more complicated to me since you have to match the existing roof height etc...

Building-a-4x16-firewood-shed.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
pull the facia board and extend the rafter tails,
at the ends, you'll need returns to the posts.
reroof that side to match,

Maybe make it a compound angle at the existing edge for more headroom,

Top Bottom