The DIY thread - DIYourself

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Lots of chewing critters in FL - the heater to our pool went out several times due to the com wire being chewed thru. Mothballs help but the best solution is wire protection.
Yeah, when I splice it, I’ll be adding a bit of pvc sheathing.
To start I put sand outside the hole so I can get a sense of what varmint I’m working with.

ebarker9

Shed was too easy. Now dealing with a new problem. Artillery fungus covering part of my house. Anyone have experience? Sounds nearly impossible to get rid of.

djm

My back shed floor was a 50/50 combination of sand and dead mouse parts/droppings. At the same time, the previous homeowners left ~2500 stacked bricks in the yard so we figured we'd put them to good use. I dug out the shed by hand (leery of carbon monoxide poisoning running an engine in an enclosed space) and put down 4+ inches of compacted quarry process as a base. It's dark enough in there that I was able to use a regular laser level to get everything flat and level which was nice.

View attachment 167904
View attachment 167902
View attachment 167901
View attachment 167900
View attachment 167903

Just need to fill in the joints with sand. I'd really like to use a vibratory compactor for this but, again...it's basically indoors. Would a rotary hammer with a tamping plate work? Otherwise I'll be back to hand tamping everything.

that brick floor is killer! Nicely done.

ekuhn

My back shed floor was a 50/50 combination of sand and dead mouse parts/droppings. At the same time, the previous homeowners left ~2500 stacked bricks in the yard so we figured we'd put them to good use. I dug out the shed by hand (leery of carbon monoxide poisoning running an engine in an enclosed space) and put down 4+ inches of compacted quarry process as a base. It's dark enough in there that I was able to use a regular laser level to get everything flat and level which was nice.

View attachment 167904
View attachment 167902
View attachment 167901
View attachment 167900
View attachment 167903

Just need to fill in the joints with sand. I'd really like to use a vibratory compactor for this but, again...it's basically indoors. Would a rotary hammer with a tamping plate work? Otherwise I'll be back to hand tamping everything.
Nice work man. Bricks look great! Excellent repurpose.

Just get the tan gator dust sweep in and hose down.

ebarker9

Nice work man. Bricks look great! Excellent repurpose.

Just get the tan gator dust sweep in and hose down.

Thanks!

Put down polymeric sand that I'd bought for some other purpose a while back. Went around tamping, sweeping, tamping, sweeping until the joints weren't accepting more sand. Then swept up the excess, removed some with a leaf blower (that was fun in an enclosed space), and then my wife carefully vacuumed each brick to reduce the chances of staining caused by residual sand on the surface. She likes these kinds of incredibly tedious tasks so...sure. Had to water with a watering can because it would have otherwise required linking about three hoses together. This weekend we'll probably patch some holes in the blocks and paint and then it will be finally suitable for the lawnmower and rakes.

PXL_20210926_161904408.jpg

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Picked up a couple more of these from Horror Freight
2FB28A30-3101-40D9-B091-53647222FC1C.jpeg
Not scientific levels of precision, but at $2 per, just fine for taking the guesswork out of sizing bike parts, and cheap enough to have a few throughout the workspace.

rlb

and then my wife carefully vacuumed each brick to reduce the chances of staining caused by residual sand on the surface. She likes these kinds of incredibly tedious tasks so...sure.
Floor looks good, bonus for getting the Mrs to do some labor (that's a no go in my house).

jackx

Floor looks good, bonus for getting the Mrs to do some labor (that's a no go in my house).
Perhaps Mrs.@rlb needs a pair of her own demolition gloves.

This weekend, my wife and I just started removing old carpeting and padding and are prepping the subfloor before we install pre-finished oak hardwood (5" planks x 3/4 in. thick). We went to Home Depot and got her a new pair of demo gloves and some SPAX construction screws for securing squeaking/creaking areas of the subfloor.

ebarker9

She puts in at least as much labor into household stuff as I do, although she's more focused on landscaping type stuff. She painted the interior. Not sure what color would look "good" for concrete blocks so I guess I'm fine with the yellow. Finally put in a rack for winter tire storage. Seems like I'm now committed to putting in some kind of baseboard trim to cover the concrete footing that juts out. Trim...shed interior... priorities...

PXL_20211003_214219152.jpg

For laughs, here's the "before".

PXL_20210330_221219270.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
She puts in at least as much labor into household stuff as I do, although she's more focused on landscaping type stuff. She painted the interior. Not sure what color would look "good" for concrete blocks so I guess I'm fine with the yellow. Finally put in a rack for winter tire storage. Seems like I'm now committed to putting in some kind of baseboard trim to cover the concrete footing that juts out. Trim...shed interior... priorities...

View attachment 168328

make a cool profile (meaning a simple arc) out of plywood, and do a mortar/plaster molding in-place, then paint it!!!

Really coming along nicely.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
@Patrick are there any Airplane junkyards(?) I want to price out a small wing for the top of a desk.

asking generally hoping for direction to where I can find a wing for cheap.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
@Patrick are there any Airplane junkyards(?) I want to price out a small wing for the top of a desk.

You can search for air frame service stations. Hell, Solberg may have one in the woods.
They can usually be repaired, unless quiet mangled - also the fuel tank is in there, and it is leaded fuel.
So desk size would be the last couple of ribs?

just questioning the idea "top of desk" - wings are not flat, and many have rivets all over the place - but if trying to have a bit of fun,
it would be a blast to mount it to a wall so it floated!

rick81721

Lothar

tenor (14).gif

Fun fact - the townhouse we bought 2 years ago was owned by a national guard pilot. He had an airplane wing as a counter top for the basement bar. Wifey insisted he take it out before closing.

JonF

Maybe fabricate some standoffs and lay a piece of glass over top as the actual work surface?

Or full engulf in a giant epoxy slab pour?

iman29

Question for yous with electrical experience.

I need to replace what appears to be a faulty outlet receptacle in one of the kids rooms. When we bought this house in 2003 we had all the devices (outlets, switches) replaced and remediated by an electrician with proper "pigtails" due to aluminum wiring. Since then I have not had to do any work on any of these devices.

Would this be a safe replacement device since its indicated for CO/ALR applications? Or do I need to call someone in to make sure its done legit?

I am more than capable to replace a light switch or an outlet device and all the breakers are labeled properly since we also upgraded the service to 200AMP when we moved in.

It's the one thing about this house that I would change if I could (i.e. rip and replace all wiring) but it's just not practical.

@Patrick
@MadisonDan

Thanks gents.

serviceguy

Question for yous with electrical experience.

I need to replace what appears to be a faulty outlet receptacle in one of the kids rooms. When we bought this house in 2003 we had all the devices (outlets, switches) replaced and remediated by an electrician with proper "pigtails" due to aluminum wiring. Since then I have not had to do any work on any of these devices.

Would this be a safe replacement device since its indicated for CO/ALR applications? Or do I need to call someone in to make sure its done legit?

I am more than capable to replace a light switch or an outlet device and all the breakers are labeled properly since we also upgraded the service to 200AMP when we moved in.

It's the one thing about this house that I would change if I could (i.e. rip and replace all wiring) but it's just not practical.

@Patrick
@MadisonDan

Thanks gents.
I am not daring to provide advise but just trying to understand correctly. What did the 2003 remediation consist of ? Wiring a copper wire pigtail to the outlet/switch connectors and then join said pigtail to the aluminum wires (which I'm assuming are solid) with wire nuts? Is the faulted outlet still available on the market, why not just replace it with the same item?

Top Bottom