The DIY thread - DIYourself

Hanover supply.

https://www.hanoversupply.com

Not sure where you’re located but the place in Randolph has saved me a few times if you scroll back a bit they had EXACTLY what I needed for the toilet and shower fixes and didn’t treat me at all like the homeowner DIY person I am.

Anyone know a good plumbing supply store? Trying to find a 3/4" flare to 3/4" MIP adapter. Lowes, HD, Tru value don't carry a 3/4" flare.

what are you doing?

this might be a part in a "large oven" gas connection kit. i probably have one in the basement.
let me look.

what are you doing?

this might be a part in a "large oven" gas connection kit. i probably have one in the basement.
let me look.

Found a gas line at Aarons plumbing supply in Somerville. No one sells just the fitting - well at least it works. Doing pressure test now

Found a gas line at Aarons plumbing supply in Somerville. No one sells just the fitting - well at least it works. Doing pressure test now

Success - inspector passed the pressure test, now just have to install an exterior gas shut-off valve and paint the pipes. Jeeze the guy yelled at me for not getting the pressure test done sooner - it's only been 6 years...

Dealer told my wife she needed front pads....
Should have done a side by side with new pads but these have 40% left at 70k
The rear pads are 1k old hmmmm...
IMG_20190613_190307081.jpg

Anyone want some windows? Vinyl replacement, a few years old. Approximately 47.5x47.5 and 47.5x41. A4AB3BC3-48B7-48F8-8A29-3B074EE79802.jpeg

okay my contractor friends... I need a price gut check in comparison to a quote I got.

We need to update our family room (21' x 13' x 8' ceiling). It has two windows and a loading bearing wall we want demo'd and open up to the kitchen. I'm going to take down the wood paneling that is currently there and I'm going to paint myself.

So the main scope is: new drywall and etc and prep for paint, two new windows (nothing fancy), and open the wall (not including the arch/engineer)

okay my contractor friends... I need a price gut check in comparison to a quote I got.

We need to update our family room (21' x 13' x 8' ceiling). It has two windows and a loading bearing wall we want demo'd and open up to the kitchen. I'm going to take down the wood paneling that is currently there and I'm going to paint myself.

So the main scope is: new drywall and etc and prep for paint, two new windows (nothing fancy), and open the wall (not including the arch/engineer)
Is the load bearing wall coming out completely? Is it the 21' wall or the 13' foot wall? I'm assuming the 13' wall. Flush beam (cut into the ceiling joists) or drop beam (under the existing ceiling joists)? Any new support posts needed in the basement? Lot of variation to consider.

Drywall is a pain because they'll have to come back a few times for recoating (could maybe schedule this on the way home from other jobs).

Depending on the contractor (and the above thoughts on the bearing wall), I'd think $5,000-10,000. Maybe a bit more.

@jnos Thanks!
Almost completely out. 13' wall. We discussed flush. It is on slab. Current estimate falls just 'maybe a bit more' and I feel is a little high but not like I'm getting robbed high. Just higher than anticipated. But you are right that it may be a little tricky and the guy comes highly rec'd.

Do you know if anything is in that wall? Electric, HVAC, plumbing etc? That could open a can of worms. Just a thought.

@jnos Thanks!
Almost completely out. 13' wall. We discussed flush. It is on slab. Current estimate falls just 'maybe a bit more' and I feel is a little high but not like I'm getting robbed high. Just higher than anticipated. But you are right that it may be a little tricky and the guy comes highly rec'd.

After I bit more thought, $5,000 is the "handyman special". Highly recommended would be above $10,000. Maybe up to $15,000.

Back
Top Bottom