The DIY thread - DIYourself

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Sorta related. Had a friend with a cat that liked to hang out inside the washing machine. Friend was in a rush one time and didn't check machine before loading and running...so your situation could be worse.

RobW

Finally a week off to get some stuff done around the house.. like the front walkway that needs a complete overhaul. The sidewalks need to be redone too so I’m still undecided if I will sub out... most likely because I have nowhere to haul crushed concrete.. either way.. it’s going to get done soon. New steps with landing coming soon also. Here the progress so far. 8956B4F8-1205-4817-99B4-328CABF0BC8C.jpeg6C82C568-F7D2-455A-B3AD-DEE817396448.jpegC46B2099-E5CC-4434-A604-9ED133DA9EDE.jpeg
Note- all the windows for the front porch are sitting on the front porch along with new door... hopefully over the fall we will do all that along with the addition.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Come and get it no time to deliver lol

also - when you do the public sidewalk, i think the town has requirements for base, and thickness - and needs to inspect it.
so back to your original point - have it all done!

RobW

also - when you do the public sidewalk, i think the town has requirements for base, and thickness - and needs to inspect it.
so back to your original point - have it all done!
Yeah, still awaiting to see if our sidewalks are part of the “safe commute to school” route grant that long branch just received. If not, I’ll have to get permit and have the local guy do it.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Don’t It Yourself

I love to laugh at someone’s expense, even if it’s myself.
This one is going to be tough to top.

Adding a ceiling fan and light to the screen porch.
Last time @Patrick is over, we scouted the routing for the wiring, I get the dual switch and check the wiring diagram.
All good-
Tryna get this done before house guests...

End of the day, tryna squeeze this in, run the wires, hook it up, and go to beta test it before adding the blades and light kit.
6A531FD1-CEF1-489B-A6D2-82048C9484D1.jpeg

9B924DB0-3A35-4723-8B77-E027A5572890.jpeg

EC7D21E9-0A61-4F85-A98F-5A28A86490EB.jpeg

Flip the breaker on, try the fan- nothing.
Fuuuu.

Long story short, after quadruple checking wiring, confirming lines are energized with the switches, taking things apart and confirming connections, my eye lands on the pull chain.

Yup, it was wired just fine all along.
Test failed because I never hit the pull chain to move it from off.

That light show is just me playing with the dimmer...

serviceguy

A stack made of asbestos is what I imagine behind every wall

Soon after walking away from a house that had loose vermiculite in the attic I started having nightmares of buying a house only to find out the wall were filled with loose vermiculite every time I had to drill a hole in the walls...it lasted for a while and it wasn't nice either...

My house has asbestos on the steam pipes. Just can’t break it off and even then I think you’d need to inhale the dust for a year to get cancer.

I wouldn't be willing to risk it, especially with little fellows around, as it takes so long for cancer to show up after exposure.

I found asbestos in my furnace room, it was on the insulation panels. I hired professional help that disposed of it the right way and issued proper State certification for the removal. It wasn't that expensive if you put it into context. I believe @rlb used the same company.

so hire day labor?

I offended myself there

You could ask grampa for a quick favor (he's too old to care), the dust will float in the room for a year or two so you can get a full lung of that crap.

Last edited:

iman29

Don’t It Yourself

I love to laugh at someone’s expense, even if it’s myself.
This one is going to be tough to top.

Adding a ceiling fan and light to the screen porch.
Last time @Patrick is over, we scouted the routing for the wiring, I get the dual switch and check the wiring diagram.
All good-
Tryna get this done before house guests...

End of the day, tryna squeeze this in, run the wires, hook it up, and go to beta test it before adding the blades and light kit.
View attachment 98853

View attachment 98854

View attachment 98856

Flip the breaker on, try the fan- nothing.
Fuuuu.

Long story short, after quadruple checking wiring, confirming lines are energized with the switches, taking things apart and confirming connections, my eye lands on the pull chain.

Yup, it was wired just fine all along.
Test failed because I never hit the pull chain to move it from off.

That light show is just me playing with the dimmer...

Similar story but here’s the short version from a few years ago.

Ceiling fan/light combo in kitchen works off one of those remote wall things since the wiring is not sufficient for 3 way. Was working fine until it wasn’t. Replaced the wall switch and remote. Didn’t work. Decided the fan was burnt out because nothing I did would make it work.

Went and bought a new fan which the wife hated but halfway thru installing the new one I took note if the directions which said something like “ be sure the fan directional switch for the motor is in the up or down position “. Oh shit!

Looked at old fan motor and the switch was in the middle. ??‍♂️

Put old fan back with new wall switch and it worked. All that work was over the span of 2 days of aggravation for what should have been 20 minutes to replace wall switch remote.

iman29

New gate for deck to keep the now 1 year old puppy in better line of sight since she gets in trouble when she roams the yard alone for too long.

Replaced the temporary solution of using an old table to block the stairs

I had a gate there previously from my other dog when she got old she went blind so we had to gate her in hence the 4x4 posts are painted but the new gate is not. I am sure I will paint the gate eventually. Like next spring.

9C67C337-6BD6-42F6-9B36-33088B97EE61.jpeg22EAE21E-1D2F-46D4-ACCF-91A94AC5487F.jpeg99E48195-9DC8-48E4-8BA2-92CA91513FCA.jpeg

iman29

Pool ladder part 2:

So this model pool ladder says you need to drill holes in the top coping to secure it to the pool. I am not too keen to do that so I had been trying to think of a way to secure the steps/ladder to the side if the pool. We have been using it and it’s really not safe and we have a crowd coming over this weekend so I had to come up with something.

While I was mowing the grass yesterday I kept looking at it and the. I finally got an idea.

Instead of drilling holes I figured I could clamp down the cross bars and use a scrap piece of treated wood leftover from previous puppy gate on deck.

Bought 2 6” C clamps after I measured the distance I needed from top to bottom and ran the board across the same cross bars I would have drilled the holes.

That ladder is probably more secure than drilling the holes and even if it cost me 20 bucks for the clamps it was worth it. Usually these ideas fail but this time went so easy.

43C7F683-DC39-4BCC-A3F8-A9C29D2ACA71.jpegF2D33F44-A363-447E-9E82-3B05650AFCFC.jpeg1251F372-7ADA-483B-BF11-54ADF70B6670.jpeg

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Pool ladder part 2:

So this model pool ladder says you need to drill holes in the top coping to secure it to the pool. I am not too keen to do that so I had been trying to think of a way to secure the steps/ladder to the side if the pool. We have been using it and it’s really not safe and we have a crowd coming over this weekend so I had to come up with something.

While I was mowing the grass yesterday I kept looking at it and the. I finally got an idea.

Instead of drilling holes I figured I could clamp down the cross bars and use a scrap piece of treated wood leftover from previous puppy gate on deck.

Bought 2 6” C clamps after I measured the distance I needed from top to bottom and ran the board across the same cross bars I would have drilled the holes.

That ladder is probably more secure than drilling the holes and even if it cost me 20 bucks for the clamps it was worth it. Usually these ideas fail but this time went so easy.

View attachment 100199View attachment 100200View attachment 100201

I don't trust that once kids are jumping off that sucker it will slip

iman29

Fair point but the youngest kid is mine and hes almost 13 and theres NO jumping in.

I stood on the steps before and tried to rock it back and forth and it’s not moving.

The bottom of the C clamp is hooked under the coping. Feels very secure.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Fair point but the youngest kid is mine and hes almost 13 and theres NO jumping in.

I stood on the steps before and tried to rock it back and forth and it’s not moving.

The bottom of the C clamp is hooked under the coping. Feels very secure.
Wood under as well, to protect the pool?

Top Bottom