The Bridges of 6MR

Kaleidopete

Toe rails are recommended by OSHA on pedestrian bridges.
But seeing the previous pics, they put it in for structural reasons as Jason & Spence mentioned.

The cap board on top is also required when the top guardrail is not made of 2x material.

Boardwalks should have a curb if going off of it poses a significant hazard (deep water?)

From a mtb perspective, i'd say a middle rail is more important to prevent a wheel from going under the top rail,
or hitting a post. See bridge which @jklett & I worked on.

Great info, thanks.

pygmypony

not specifically relevant to this thread but...

@jdog @Patrick i am looking to build a bridge with an approx 25 ft span (hope to avoid mid span supports) in my local tingley woods

i've been admiring some of the truss construction bridges at 6MR...would guys be avail for a consult up here in Edison anytime this fall?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
not specifically relevant to this thread but...

@jdog @Patrick i am looking to build a bridge with an approx 25 ft span (hope to avoid mid span supports) in my local tingley woods

i've been admiring some of the truss construction bridges at 6MR...would guys be avail for a consult up here in Edison anytime this fall?

25 is a long way. I'll come and chat with you. There are ways.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
1668595890727.jpeg

I think that you could figure out a suspension bridge. I’ve always wanted to build one

SAM

Suspension bridge would be fun. The one in jdog's photo looks made for riding and probably doesn't move much when ridden across.

Aside from the footbridge over the Delaware at Bulls Island (does that count?), the only one I know of in the area goes over Stony Brook near Institute Woods in Princeton. Not really for riding, since the supporting cables are anchored into ginormous concrete stairs leading up to the span and the bridge bobs up and down a lot just walking across. Fun anyway. It does get you to some trails on the other side and you can get to the D&R tow path, but not when its wet.

IMG_1823.jpg

IMG_1824.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

No, I didn't ride it.

JonF

There's that little itty-bitty creek crossing on red i think near the jacque lot.. the one that always seems to have some standing water. Did that ever have a bridge? Every now and then its dry but mostly not.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
There's that little itty-bitty creek crossing on red i think near the jacque lot.. the one that always seems to have some standing water. Did that ever have a bridge? Every now and then its dry but mostly not.

Can't picture where? Rabbit run?

JonF

I forget precisely where, but here's a pic from a few years ago (though its still the same).

IMG_20200321_134335.jpg

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions