The Bridges of 6MR

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Going to do an inventory, history, and documentation of the bridges this summer - Also going to inspect them, cause we should?

First up.

This popped up in my feed today - installed in April of 2013, it has since been retired - clarification from @KenS

Slight clarification: The new, wider bridge was built to NICA standards (with park permission) so we could certify a course there. We had quite the day building too! Wooden BFH for the win! The old bridge was requested to be removed afterwards by the park, because they liked the new one better. NICA/NJICL does not certify bridges for land managers or direct them how to manage their inventory of trails in any way. We just certify race courses to ensure our students have a safe and fun experience.

I believe it was the first truss bridge installed ? We are lucky to have Mr. X building the trusses, and the volunteers to install them.

1619695552674.png

The replacement is slightly downstream (left of this pic) - railings were added later to prevent serial brake checkers from causing huck-to-water events.

1619695740850.png

I'm also adding info to TF: https://www.trailforks.com/poi/68480/

Last edited:

serviceguy

Going to do an inventory, history, and documentation of the bridges this summer - Also going to inspect them, cause we should?

First up.

This popped up in my feed today - installed in April of 2013, it has since been retired as it didn't meet minimum criteria for a bridge on a NICA course.
I believe it was the first truss bridge installed ? We are lucky to have Mr. X building the trusses, and the volunteers to install them.

View attachment 156641

The replacement is slightly downstream (left of this pic) - railings were added later to prevent serial brake checkers from causing huck-to-water events.

View attachment 156642

I'm also adding info to TF: https://www.trailforks.com/poi/68480/
Curious, how is the new one better than the original trusse one?

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
it has since been retired as it didn't meet minimum criteria for a bridge on a NICA course.

Slight clarification: The new, wider bridge was built to NICA standards (with park permission) so we could certify a course there. We had quite the day building too! Wooden BFH for the win! The old bridge was requested to be removed afterwards by the park, because they liked the new one better. NICA/NJICL does not certify bridges for land managers or direct them how to manage their inventory of trails in any way. We just certify race courses to ensure our students have a safe and fun experience.

Piston Honda

Awesome, now we know!

Is it the one i'm thinking of after the old foundation coming from the concrete bridge?

Thanks.
Is the foundation the one that looks like a fireplace? What's the history behind that? I just noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago.

Patrick

Staff member
Is the foundation the one that looks like a fireplace? What's the history behind that? I just noticed it for the first time a few weeks ago.

Yes, old FP - there is quite a bit of materials on the ground around there. About 5(?) years back, we moved the trail to run next to the foundation - it was down the hill a bit, and very wet. It gets "grown in" later in the summer. When riding by yesterday, I noticed it was more visible than before. Guess the hikers are cutting into the grape/pi/honeysuckle and exploring?

Just one of the homes that was left after the state(?) purchased them to build the reservoir. Another scheme to make $$$ like RV - only it got cut off because someone mentioned that water does not flow uphill very well.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

Patrick

Staff member
Dreaming of that bridge on Red that was like 10' high and built out of 2 by's.

The one Lou went off? In the cedars? Or the one after the white split that was re-routed away from the water?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The one Lou went off? In the cedars? Or the one after the white split that was re-routed away from the water?
Pretty sure it was there before white existed. It was over steep up and down not far after the current white split, before red was rerouted

Patrick

Staff member
Pretty sure it was there before white existed. It was over steep up and down not far after the current white split, before red was rerouted

I'll write that up - Think the pics of the replacement/relocated bridge construction are around.

Patrick

Staff member
God I miss the old rickety log bridge coming out of the cedars heading towards middelbush rd. The fancy rainbow truss bridge (though a marvel of craftsmanship) just doesn’t have the same pucker factor. 😁

@Pearl - you have that pic of @soulchild ?
That little ladder bridge option is still there too. "the low road"
although someone pulled it up to bridge the mud in that area last year.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions