The BearScat 50!!!!!!!

I'm short about 15 riders at mile 15
Iggy MIA

I just helped change a flat for a Guy. His first race ever! Turns out he lives a mile from me and rides the same trails

Ok we left. Monte/DC battle for first. Ryan was 5 back in 3rd. Roger off the front in SS and I thought Weber was leading 45+ but someone said they messed up that start.

Melissa Kern was in 2nd 2 mins behind a girl I don't know. As mentioned Jane was DQ'ed also.

Mtbnj:

Bill 7/8
Utah 11
Kirt, Rob, Iggy in the 15 range

Everyone else filtered through no idea what place.

Chris26er mechanical. Matty 1 and done but looked good when he came through.

Short answer is Kinda, the course makes a hard right after a steep dh, the problem is the prior race and the trail continues straight and loops back to the course cutting out over 5 miles

Last edited:
What are the chances of the race surviving for next year? I'd be pissed if I got DQ'd for poorly marked trails in such an epic race, especially if enough others made the same mistake.

Sucks reading about all these DQs when you know people were prepared for a big race and simply got lost because of poor marking - it's not like it's a navigation race.

Short answer is Kinda, the course makes a hard right after a steep dh, the problem is the prior race and the trail continues straight and loops back to the course cutting out over 5 miles

WOW I had no idea waway was so big! Killer trails, killer hills, Just enough to kill me and my bike in one shot..
Towards the end of the first lap I was following MTBNJ Mike around, He held up a great pace then Iggy and his crew of fast dudes caught up to us then mike and I got split up. So I tried hammering it to catch back up, hammered a bit too hard and slammed the front wheel into a rock. The tire burped alot of the air out, Not enough air left for waway without damaging my wheel. As I hit the wheel on the rock I also managed to mash my knee on my stem...The bad knee :( sure enough it was killing me and hurt pretty much all the time so I decided enough was enough. Looking at the bright side I did get in one hell of a ride! 23 miles in 2.5 hours. DH40 is next on the list

What are the chances of the race surviving for next year? I'd be pissed if I got DQ'd for poorly marked trails in such an epic race, especially if enough others made the same mistake.

Sucks reading about all these DQs when you know people were prepared for a big race and simply got lost because of poor marking - it's not like it's a navigation race.

Course was marked clearly enough. It does suck that people missed the turn, but there were arrows and X's where the turn should be. % of riders that made the turn show the markings were proper.

Hell, at the racers meeting the start order was given with 5 minute intervals between groups. How come half of the 45+ group left with the Mens Open?

My day was doomed from the start, did all 50 but had a laundry list of issues. By far the most expensive race i have done in terms of gear loss/damage, all my fault.

Props to black bear for a great race. Sucks so many DQ'd, I was all alone most of the race and thought the course was marked excellently.

I thought the course was marked fine. Ya you had to look where you were going but it definitely wasnt blackbear's fault if you missed a turn.

I got 50 in despite running out of C02 and tubes after flats. To the guy that leant me his hand pump cheers mate! Course was easy enough to follow but maybe I was going too slow to miss the markers. I thought the food at the end was cr@p though. Not like the six pack where you could grab a great burger and grilled chicken.

Race course was great! Markings were fine, it would be hard to miss the turn but again, you need to pay attention. I have achieved my goal of finishing 50 miles. It was hard on second lap:drooling:

Hard

Great race course. Well marked where needed. Sometimes you can fall into a little daydream and miss a couple of turns but for the most Part I think it was marked well. This was the hardest 50 miles I have ever done. First off, wrong gear for SS. Lots of climbing and lots of fire road climbs. Lots of rocks, lots of downhills with tons of speed. This course had it all and then some. And it proved to me that SS in stoopid. To tired to type. Thanks Black Bear for putting on a great race. And SS is Stoopied. But its fun to hang with all my MTBNJ crew.. Good bunch.

I missed the turn. Maybe the markers were up too high??? I couldn't see it thru the brim of my cap. I DQ'd but went back out for another lap....44miles.

FTR the course was SICK and I'll gladly take JimV's free ass spot next year

Great race, excellent work black bear! Course was great, volenteers were everywhere, nicely done.

I had no issues with the markings, but I did do a pre-ride lap. On my first lap, Jamie Myers was in front of me and blew right past that turn. We all yelled at him and he realized his mistake. There was enough marking there, but I can understand why many people missed it.

Other than some issues with my chain jumping off, my race went pretty smooth. Had to stop at least 10 times to pop the chain back on and I could not use my small ring. Other than that, went pretty well for my first attempt at an endurace race. 5:30min, 13th in open.

Soundz is doing good. Ahead of jdog oh no! Haha j!

Well he was on SS so he started after me. My 1st lap was going good until a wipe out on the least technical part of the course after the road crossing. Stem got all turned around and had to borrow ad multitool. Cramped hard everywhere on start of 2nd lap. Thank god for the granny allowed me to spin through it.

Yea we saw a guy go straight there .. had to yell at him and he came back. There were guys there on the 2nd lap to direct the traffic.

Course

I found the course really challenging but marked great nd easy to follow. I am a little better than Mr. McGoo in the woods and I was able to find my way around no problem. It was really marked well and a great run race. I only did one lap due to illness but thought it was a great race and vibe. Hope to have better luck next year.

Back
Top Bottom