The Amusement Bike Park

I taught my youngest daughter by taking off the training wheels and pedals. Took her about an hour of messing around with that to get it and another hour to be able to ride with the pedals back on.
Can I bring my kid over so you can teach her how to ride while I watch drinking beer/s?

Sure, my fee is 2 rolls and a bottle of hand soap. I can waive it if you ride that janky teeter totter.
Lot of Money.gif

Well fuck me if things aren't happening for ole TimBay. There's still a pandemic and life sucks, I hate my job and my recent prospects have stalled because of the obvious global shitstorm, but my 2 personal passions are flourishing. Aside from bikes, my old band has been talking and we're working on recording some remote quarantine tracks. I'm gaining a new love for writing music.

But, onto biking: shit is starting to click hard. I rode huber both ways today, 8.8 miles and didn't dip below 3rd gear on the 11x30 (46 big gear). Most climbs were on 4th. Still got a long long way to go, but I'm really starting to connect the dots and see the next steps and phases. In addition to climbing, my legs have really loosened up on the descents and I'm learning to lean and control the bike much better. It makes the ride just so much more fun. I'm getting stoked with the sport, the progress, and where I see my riding next year.

Now, I'm wondering if a fat bike could be the 1 bike...with a variety of wheel setups. Why not? I can climb and rock crawl up north with the full fat, float on the 27.5++ and rip speed on the 29+ or 29.2.4. That's a lot of bikes.

With your plan you will end up with one bike that does what it should, and the rest of the configs will suck at worst, and be a compromise at best. And a fair amount of money up the chimney. But you will not know it. I know this first hand.

With your plan you will end up with one bike that does what it should, and the rest of the configs will suck at worst, and be a compromise at best. And a fair amount of money up the chimney. But you will not know it. I know this first hand.
Actually, you're right. N+1 is the one true answer to bikes. So I have to determine what the first +1 will be. I did some math today and, given my local trails, age, and current budget, a rowdy HT might be the correct solution, pushing a FS out 2 years. I could probably figure out a build under 1600ish to start. My weak QR rear is only a mere months from destruction.

not going to get into a new lightweight fatbike with suspension for that number - as in 30lbs or less.

get the HT, ride the hell out of it. don't worry about fatigue, you are young
(relatively, esp compared to Mitch) - if you can get something that will run 2.6 tires
for a softer ride - that would be good, but not essential.

Glad to hear the music is bringing some happiness.

i don't own a pivot either, but i might take care of that this year.....:D

I'm no expert but get something unlike your current bike. You have a 29er hardtail now, albeit not what you consider to be a great one. I assume you will be keeping it? So carefully choose an FS rig that will compliment the hardtail and fit your budget. I am not going to start a travel debate but go with mid travel (long travel if it strokes the ego ???). You still have the hardtail for easy trails, riding with the kids, whatever.

I am going to go against the trend a little and say that maybe you should spend a little money on the Talon. You mentioned the wheels are on death's doorstep. Maybe try and get some better wheels. You don't need to spend a fortune and it could really revive the bike.

Or go a completely different direction and convert it to an SS.? I actually just did that on my old budget hardtail. I don't trust it to get rowdy at all so I just turned it into a pain machine...lol.

Now, I'm wondering if a fat bike could be the 1 bike...with a variety of wheel setups. Why not? I can climb and rock crawl up north with the full fat, float on the 27.5++ and rip speed on the 29+ or 29.2.4. That's a lot of bikes.

Quality > Quantity. Don't worry about having lots of bikes, just get one that you like that is good for the trails you ride the most. It's better to have a good hardtail than a mediocre full suspension, so the bike you choose will be determined by how much you are willing to spend. You could put 29er wheels on a fat bike, but that's like putting lipstick on a pig.

Ugh. So many options. Do I dump another few hundo into the talon on some wheels for more immediate satisfaction and ride improvement? I certainly don't hate my bike. Maybe it makes more sense than a new HT? IDK. Gonna shop some wheels and make an assessment. Do any shops have demo hardtails?

I feel like this conversation is going around in circles... just with new bike models thrown in there.
Who else did we do this with?

Back
Top Bottom