The Amusement Bike Park

I feel like this conversation is going around in circles... just with new bike models thrown in there.
Who else did we do this with?
I think this happens to every rider at some point. You out grow your current ride, and get overwhelmed by the choices available. Unless you're lucky enough to have a large disposable income, you want to make sure your investment is a wise one. I think you need to start by asking yourself, do you not like your bike cause it's a hardtail? Or because its and entry level hardtail with low end parts ?

I think this happens to every rider at some point. You out grow your current ride, and get overwhelmed by the choices available. Unless you're lucky enough to have a large disposable income, you want to make sure your investment is a wise one. I think you need to start by asking yourself, do you not like your bike cause it's a hardtail? Or because its and entry level hardtail with low end parts ?
This sums it up perfectly plus the element of cabin/kid fever and just wanting new stuff.

i don't own a pivot either, but i might take care of that this year.....:D
You deserve it (because of ladder on pickup bed was perfectly positioned in order to avoid expensive repairs to said pickup) and more importantly you need some superboost+ in your life.

Random question that's been difficult to solve with the Google machine: does going up in chainring size have any mechanical advantages? I certainly don't need to change it, just wondering if it does anything other than make the gears a bit harder/faster.

Well fuck me if things aren't happening for ole TimBay. There's still a pandemic and life sucks, I hate my job and my recent prospects have stalled because of the obvious global shitstorm, but my 2 personal passions are flourishing. Aside from bikes, my old band has been talking and we're working on recording some remote quarantine tracks. I'm gaining a new love for writing music.

But, onto biking: shit is starting to click hard. I rode huber both ways today, 8.8 miles and didn't dip below 3rd gear on the 11x30 (46 big gear). Most climbs were on 4th. Still got a long long way to go, but I'm really starting to connect the dots and see the next steps and phases. In addition to climbing, my legs have really loosened up on the descents and I'm learning to lean and control the bike much better. It makes the ride just so much more fun. I'm getting stoked with the sport, the progress, and where I see my riding next year.

Now, I'm wondering if a fat bike could be the 1 bike...with a variety of wheel setups. Why not? I can climb and rock crawl up north with the full fat, float on the 27.5++ and rip speed on the 29+ or 29.2.4. That's a lot of bikes.

The most versatile bike I saw regarding wheels was the rsd Sergeant. 4 inch wide on 27s and 29er fit well plus super boost

Random question that's been difficult to solve with the Google machine: does going up in chainring size have any mechanical advantages? I certainly don't need to change it, just wondering if it does anything other than make the gears a bit harder/faster.

It reduces clearance. But if eagle is in your future, you don't need a little chainring.

On a full squish it can absolutely change the kinematics. On a hardtail, nope. There are minute things like a bigger ring is more efficient as more of the chain is wrapped around it but I don't think that is anything anyone would notice.

Edited because I am not an engineer.

He is.
.|
V

Last edited:
Technicallyna bigger ring is a mechanical Disadvantage since your torque multiplier is lower on the crank end. (Makes it harder to pedal) but it allows for more speed. Find the size that your comfortable with and go with it

Technicallyna bigger ring is a mechanical Disadvantage since your torque multiplier is lower on the crank end. (Makes it harder to pedal) but it allows for more speed. Find the size that your comfortable with and go with it
I'm still very much fine on the 30, but was curious about the change in size and any benefits

Anyone else spend more time scrolling through Competitive Cyclist adds than actually looking at what people post when looking at Facebook?

Reactions: w_b
I might splurge on these if/when I 'splode my rear wheel. Figure they'd be great for it's eventual SS glory.

FB_IMG_1586040864734.jpg

Trying to write songs is not at all like riding a bike. You can't just pick it up. This is hard. Playing guitar os fairly easy. Recording guitar makes you know how much you suck. Anyways, here's some old picks of me when I was young, dumb and full of...a hopeful outlook at the future.

FB_IMG_1586479956798.jpg
FB_IMG_1586480887702.jpg
FB_IMG_1586480903005.jpg
FB_IMG_1586480922238.jpg

Back
Top Bottom