The Amusement Bike Park

im not aware of any modern bikes made with steel cranks, what cranks come on it?

EDIT: doesnt matter, try sticking a magnet on it, if it doesnt stick dont overtighten
I shouldn't make assumptions... Let me say that MY Talon came with cranks that should have been a standard issued weapon for the USMC.

Looks like the inside. I'm with shrpshtr on this one. I think you'll be ok for a bit, but I wouldnt ride it that way forever. I'd make sure it slides on and off the splines freely before tightening it up though, as you dont want to jam it on there, and have a problem getting it back off. That pro wheel stuff is cheap aluminum. They spec it on those BikesDirect deals, and lower end, run of the mill, big brand bikes that will mostly likely see very little actual MTB use.

No apologies necessary. Best to just ignore people. Lack of response is the best fuel against a trolling comment. Responses are validations, regardless of what you write.

Not sure what your corona situation is or when I'll be able to make it up there honestly. Do you typically go to sleep super early, or would Wednesday evening/night work for you for the exchange. I can Venmo you and do porch pick up for corona safety too.
I'm good with Wednesday evening if it works for you, but obviously depending on your time of arrival, a ride may be questionable. I'm ok with meeting you at the bottom of the mountain, porch pick up, putting them on for you, or whatever works. I work in a school.....if I didnt catch this crap from the kids yet...probably wont. Fringe benefit ? 2 weeks off with pay !

is that the outside edge of the spline? or the inside?

if its the inside (closest to the frame) i dont see you having a problem unless it walks out again, so make sure its torqued properly and check it for a couple rides to make sure its not moving, but i dont think chipped spline teeth are going to cause your death.
(mechanical engineer by profession here)
It's the inside edge. Gonna send it until i can meet up with Arnold

I'm good with Wednesday evening if it works for you, but obviously depending on your time of arrival, a ride may be questionable. I'm ok with meeting you at the bottom of the mountain, porch pick up, putting them on for you, or whatever works. I work in a school.....if I didnt catch this crap from the kids yet...probably wont. Fringe benefit ? 2 weeks off with pay !
I might try to ride it out til my next free Saturday (week after this Saturday). And i might be up for wayway again, which is so far my favorite park.

No apologies necessary. Best to just ignore people. Lack of response is the best fuel against a trolling comment. Responses are validations, regardless of what you write.

I thought the " amusement park ride" is the place to joke around? I guess some people just have zero sense of humor and are dumb as stumps. Whatever...

Looks like the inside. I'm with shrpshtr on this one. I think you'll be ok for a bit, but I wouldnt ride it that way forever. I'd make sure it slides on and off the splines freely before tightening it up though, as you dont want to jam it on there, and have a problem getting it back off. That pro wheel stuff is cheap aluminum. They spec it on those BikesDirect deals, and lower end, run of the mill, big brand bikes that will mostly likely see very little actual MTB use.
Talon 4 life!

I thought the " amusement park ride" is the place to joke around? I guess some people just have zero sense of humor and are dumb as stumps. Whatever...
Yeah, it is. No apologies necessary from either of you. You have a rep for trolling sometimes. I personally think you're funny usually, but to each his own. But that rep can trigger people and yadda yadda, who cares. I didnt think your original posts were jokes either because sarcasm can be difficult to display and can get easily confused as seriousness. You hear the embellishments in your head, but it can get lost in translation.To be honest, looking back at the thread, Arnold did shoot first with the tire baking jab. But that's also reactionary to your troll rep. In summation, I dont really care, I usually just like to watch the world burn.

Also, thanks everyone for the advice and fun and thanks Arnold for checking the parts bin for me. I 'preciate ya. And we should cut Rick a break since his generation is about to be wiped from the planet by Mexican beer flu.

Back to fun things. All NYC commuters who are WFH can at least enjoy not being there during St. Patrick's day. Here's a quip from years past as found in my FB Memories.

Screenshot_2020-03-17-20-23-20-1.png

Your street is perfect for learning to ride a 2 wheeler! Little tip... when you decide to ditch the training wheels lose the pedals, too. Let him learn the balance by gliding on a gentle downhill. Once the balance is mastered then put the pedals back on and you're off to the races!

Your street is perfect for learning to ride a 2 wheeler! Little tip... when you decide to ditch the training wheels lose the pedals, too. Let him learn the balance by gliding on a gentle downhill. Once the balance is mastered then put the pedals back on and you're off to the races!
I taught my youngest daughter by taking off the training wheels and pedals. Took her about an hour of messing around with that to get it and another hour to be able to ride with the pedals back on.

I literally took the entire cranks off and slammed the seat. I kept it like that for months trying to push him to ride it, but he was just pissed off and refused to do it. So now I'm just getting him out with me and getting him stoked about riding. He's been loving it. Hoping to have them off in a week or so.

Back
Top Bottom