The Amusement Bike Park

Before you make a final call you should ride as many different parks so maybe it'll make your decision on a bike easier if you know what parks you enjoy most. I personally prefer the 29er HT in most parks.

U
Before you make a final call you should ride as many different parks so maybe it'll make your decision on a bike easier if you know what parks you enjoy most. I personally prefer the 29er HT in most parks.
Im definitely hopomg to get around throughout the year, but woth kids and work and living 5 minutes away, hartshorne will be where I ride 90% or more of the time. It's got lots of flow, bit some real steep sections woth lots of roots and stuff and bits that you can do some cool stuff. I'm still leaning FS, but some saving money on a HT doesn't seem that terrible either.

U
Im definitely hopomg to get around throughout the year, but woth kids and work and living 5 minutes away, hartshorne will be where I ride 90% or more of the time. It's got lots of flow, bit some real steep sections woth lots of roots and stuff and bits that you can do some cool stuff. I'm still leaning FS, but some saving money on a HT doesn't seem that terrible either.

How big are your current tires mine are 2.3 27.5s and just a little more tire would help so much. I don't blame you for chasing fs just wouldn't want you to experience all your options.

2.2 in back and 2.3 (maxxed) in front. It gets the job done.
They say 2.6 is the sweet spot.... but personally... I think 2.4 is perfect.
I am pretty sure you can fit in a 2.4. I have 2.4 on the RDO and prolly could go wider in the front but 2.4 is max for the rear on the Hightower and the RDO.

I only say HT because I started with a HT, did the whole FS biz, built one... rode it a lot but realized I was much faster on a HT. Also it’s lighter. I’ll give you some advice that’s steered me back to the basics. Get a bike you like, but before spending a ton of money. Ride the F outta what you have....

They say 2.6 is the sweet spot.... but personally... I think 2.4 is perfect.
I am pretty sure you can fit in a 2.4. I have 2.4 on the RDO and prolly could go wider in the front but 2.4 is max for the rear on the Hightower and the RDO.
I get a slight rub on the brake hose zip tie if I lean the bike too far to the left. Prolly the rim being a little outta whack and my being fat. Lol.

My personal perspective on the FS va HT argument as a ride (not taking into account price and maintenance which obviously work in favor of the HT) is the following:
A) the weight difference between FS and HT is such a minuscule percentage of the total weight of the ‘system’ that it can be consider negligible, especially for heavier riders like me.
B) today’s rear suspension design helps greatly to climb especially less skilled riders such as myself, not having to worry as much about traction

That’s why I went FS and tried to go for what I thought was the best design. So far I’m happy with what I got. Unfortunately it wasn’t cheap.
When and if I loose the amount of weight that I’m supposed to loose to get back in shape I will get my nerd hat out again and re-evaluate the weight ratio.

Add to that 29” wheels regardless the way you go, I was a believer in 26” wheels then someone kept telling me ‘26”s are dead Leo’, I listened and I’m glad I did...@qclabrat !

I’m not saying that you can’t ride 26”, just that 29”s makes it a lot easier. That’s all. And I look like a gorilla on a clown little bicycle on a 26” soooo...

Having a bike with same suspension as Leo's, I have to agree. And after briging it to Mt Creek for the first time yesterday It felt like it handled the braking bumps, and dry slick conditions, better than my longer travel park bike. I did not do a run for run coomparison yet, but i want to soon.

My personal perspective on the FS va HT argument as a ride (not taking into account price and maintenance which obviously work in favor of the HT) is the following:
A) the weight difference between FS and HT is such a minuscule percentage of the total weight of the ‘system’ that it can be consider negligible, especially for heavier riders like me.
B) today’s rear suspension design helps greatly to climb especially less skilled riders such as myself, not having to worry as much about traction

That’s why I went FS and tried to go for what I thought was the best design. So far I’m happy with what I got. Unfortunately it wasn’t cheap.
When and if I loose the amount of weight that I’m supposed to loose to get back in shape I will get my nerd hat out again and re-evaluate the weight ratio.

Add to that 29” wheels regardless the way you go, I was a believer in 26” wheels then someone kept telling me ‘26”s are dead Leo’, I listened and I’m glad I did...@qclabrat !

I’m not saying that you can’t ride 26”, just that 29”s makes it a lot easier. That’s all. And I look like a gorilla on a clown little bicycle on a 26” soooo...

for the last year, i've been riding 26" fat rigid and b+ fs exclusively (we don't count the SS). it is very forgiving, and confidence building.
I set up the tallboy with the 29r today (2.35"?) - it felt weird! like the bike was bigger. it seemed lighter, but sketchier.
The HT is in the shop getting some tweaks. should be riding it next week if all works out. it is the same geometry as the SS,
a gary fisher trek. Looking foward to getting back to it. i don't think the traction of a HT is that much different at the speeds
we are going - i can see the compliance of a fs keeping the tire on the ground at speed.

that being said, as soon as it goes downhill, there is nothing like not worrying about the rear wheel bucking me out the front door.

Preference is one thing... but there is a reason why FS costs more.
Enuff said
Regretting the RDO? lol. We'll see. I have a lot of time and riding to do. Right now, I'm leaning toward mid travel FS with more focus on pedaling and climbing than shredding the gnar.

Back
Top Bottom