The Amusement Bike Park

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I would really like to see a bike review that says... this bike sucks! lol
Have you guys seen KevCentral? that's pretty funny but I guess even the bikes he reviews have a place.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I would really like to see a bike review that says... this bike sucks! lol
Have you guys seen KevCentral? that's pretty funny but I guess even the bikes he reviews have a place.

If I remember correctly Pinkbike did a review of the new GT trail bike. I don't even know the model name. That's about as close to a bad review as you will find. It's good to watch as you start to pick up on some of the terminology they use when they don't like a bike.

A statement like, "the bike climbed ok but felt sluggish" really means, "this bike is a boat anchor."
"composed" = big travel, stable, plush, sled.
"fun" or "poppy" = progressive kinematics, not plush.
etc. etc...

You guys get the idea...

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Blogtasticness (hear that doogie houser end of episode typing as you read this): So, I've been riding more (though still not nearly as much as I'd like), which is rad. As a noob, I reflected on how much easier and more fun riding is 9 months into this sport/hobbie than when I first started. Simple climbs that I thought I'd never pedal up and would make me breathe crazy heavy are pieces of cake now. Some are still out of reach, but I can just taste that sweet victory and am craving it. I've learned a lot about choosing the right gears and shifting at the right times. Riding with other people has definitely helped. My trail sherpa/guru @Tim has been a huge help and ratcheting/buying a multi-tool stand out as the biggest lessons...other than having a positive cool dude attitude toward the sport and the fact that half my bike is his old stuff. @Paul H pointed out the gear grinding (shifting under load), which I've been working on and getting better at. I'll always remember @jklett saying something to the effect of "my stubborn polish blood doesn't let me quit" which has helped me power through climbs (I'm not polish). @qclabrat just seemed sorta zen out there with his back-of-the-pack style. @Kangdoy is a rad beast. Anyways, this shit is so much goddamned fun.

End sappy shit. Time for noob question:

With my consistently engaged interest in this sport and my constantly infrequent research into the next bike, it's time for Tim's Noob Question...

I've slowly been narrowing down next season's purchase of my full squish trail steed. The ToEG is great and all, but daddy's gonna need a real real biike next season. My choices are based on brands sold by LBSeses because I want to support local business. Here are some of the current contenders and since I want to try and be budget, I'm praying for a 2019 leftover anyways.

Trek Fuel EX 7 - because I shop all my bits and pieces that aren't much cheaper online at my local Trek shope

Salsa Spearfish Deore - because I could probably find an XT drivetrain/brakeset upon purchase and still be under 3k (then fork upgrade eventually) (HIlltop sells them and you know...Vreeland/mtbnj shop)

Salsa Horsethief Deore- all of the above, but more squish (is more squish more better?)

Specialized Stumpy (comp?) - IDK, seems like a good workhorse for these parts.

Anything I'm missing? I feel like SC Tallboy should totally be on the list, but I think they're a little pricier for what you get and I'm trying to keep the bike around/under $3k. If I could get the aluminum R build for under 3k that would prolly be a good option.

Yes demoing yada yada, but aren't most demo bikes the higher end of the series? So I'd be demoing something completely different than these options. How does that actually compare? A Spearfish carbon with GX is going to be a very different bike than a Spearfish with the deore build since a lot of components will be different. Jesus this is long and i have a almost a year to decide. Anyways, hooray for bikes!

I wouldn't write off hard tails especially where you ride. A lot of value, less to maintain, and build your skill

TimBay

If I remember correctly Pinkbike did a review of the new GT trail bike. I don't even know the model name. That's about as close to a bad review as you will find. It's good to watch as you start to pick up on some of the terminology they use when they don't like a bike.

A statement like, "the bike climbed ok but felt sluggish" really means, "this bike is a boat anchor."
"composed" = big travel, stable, plush, sled.
"fun" or "poppy" = progressive kinematics, not plush.
etc. etc...

You guys get the idea...

Yeah, that's a good note. I'm just hoping for a solid all around workhorse. Thankfully, I'm not planning on buying anything until next spring/summer, so I have plenty of time to get better at riding, which will help when it comes time for demoing and making my decision. I just like looking at stuff and trying to figure out some of the differences as a lot of these bike ranges will likely remain the same with minor tweaks next year and I'll probably even shoot for a leftover from this current model year.

@Fire Marshal Max a hardtail isn't completely out of the question. weight, pedal efficiency, simplicity are all cool factors to hard tails and would do fine where I ride. But, watching dudes float over everything on their FS bikes is super intriguing. If I can afford the FS bike I want, that would definitely be the direction I go. we'll see though. So much time and experience to be gained between now and then. Until then, ToEG has been crushing it and is the greatest bike I own!

serviceguy

Yeah, that's a good note. I'm just hoping for a solid all around workhorse. Thankfully, I'm not planning on buying anything until next spring/summer, so I have plenty of time to get better at riding, which will help when it comes time for demoing and making my decision. I just like looking at stuff and trying to figure out some of the differences as a lot of these bike ranges will likely remain the same with minor tweaks next year and I'll probably even shoot for a leftover from this current model year.

@Fire Marshal Max a hardtail isn't completely out of the question. weight, pedal efficiency, simplicity are all cool factors to hard tails and would do fine where I ride. But, watching dudes float over everything on their FS bikes is super intriguing. If I can afford the FS bike I want, that would definitely be the direction I go. we'll see though. So much time and experience to be gained between now and then. Until then, ToEG has been crushing it and is the greatest bike I own!

If you don't mind me adding something to it, I would suggest you to get familiar with the different types of geometry and suspension designs, the language can get a little confusing at times...one thing is for sure though...you need super boost+ in your life!

TimBay

If you don't mind me adding something to it, I would suggest you to get familiar with the different types of geometry and suspension designs, the language can get a little confusing at times...one thing is for sure though...you need super boost+ in your life!
Something important I've been thinking about is climb vs descend. I want to be able to do both well, but where do I need the bike to perform best? That's what I'm hoping to figure out this year.

RobW

Dude, a slacker geo short chainstay hardtail will keep your brain off the FS route. The fuze looks insane right now. The honzo is amazing through rough and tight singletrack. For what we ride, hard tail is fine and does the job great. I’d only suggest fS if you’re riding a lot of chop and/or rocka

TimBay

Dude, a slacker geo short chainstay hardtail will keep your brain off the FS route. The fuze looks insane right now. The honzo is amazing through rough and tight singletrack. For what we ride, hard tail is fine and does the job great. I’d only suggest fS if you’re riding a lot of chop and/or rocka
That Fuse Expert looks pretty sick for the money. Hmmm. I guess I'll have to keep open to HT. That's what I'll be riding either way.

BPaze

That Fuse Expert looks pretty sick for the money. Hmmm. I guess I'll have to keep open to HT. That's what I'll be riding either way.
If I ever get to ride with you, you should jump on my Kona. It is very rare I feel I need a FS, especially on the downs where it seems to blast through everything. Although if you are going to upgrade and have the budget for a FS I would get one as well because if you have one bike it doesn't hurt to have a decent FS.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
If you could only have one get a hightower, i do fine in most situations and go down as fast as some of us on ht. Now that I have @Paul H's old fork I see what I was missing. My arms aren't as fatigued going down hill and I was only tagging my brakes at 6 mile to keep my tires under me or because I was running into the person in front of me.

I know what you mean by people floating over rock gardens but wider tires and a fork that works changes things. I was death griping most down hills because my fork was like a ridged fork and riding downhill kicked my ass but we're going to see what happens at Ringwood this weekend I have a feeling I'll be a different rider and not be so shy

TimBay

Man, you all are sweet on the hardtails. I'll definitely want to try out your kona @BPaze . My problem with Santa Cruz is the build you get for the money. If I want to spend 4k, sure. $ for $ I think some of the other makers give you more bang for the buck. IDK. I know very little about Geo and a lot of components at this stage, so I'm just looking at some of the components without considering geometry, suspension style, and all that.

serviceguy

If you could only have one get a hightower, i do fine in most situations and go down as fast as some of us on ht. Now that I have @Paul H's old fork I see what I was missing. My arms aren't as fatigued going down hill and I was only tagging my brakes at 6 mile to keep my tires under me or because I was running into the person in front of me.

I know what you mean by people floating over rock gardens but wider tires and a fork that works changes things. I was death griping most down hills because my fork was like a ridged fork and riding downhill kicked my ass but we're going to see what happens at Ringwood this weekend I have a feeling I'll be a different rider and not be so shy

Please make sure to visually document your newly acquired skills while wearing appropriate protection.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I'm just hoping for a solid all around workhorsr!
Unicorn
No bike will do everything well. DH bike will rock the downhill but will suck when climbing. XC bike will climb like a goat but will be sketchy on DH. N+1 is your answer. Mid travel 29er will do everything ok.

You buy a bike for the trails you ride the most.

Reactions: Tim

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Now that I have @Paul H's old fork I see what I was missing. My arms aren't as fatigued going down hill and I was only tagging my brakes at 6 mile to keep my tires under me or because I was running into the person
Looks like you're getting good use out of the fork. Can I raise the price? Lol I kid....
Glad it's working out for you. You should have taken the fork sooner.

Top Bottom