The 2021 lawn thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

serviceguy

Not entirely sure this post is in the right thread, so @Patrick please move where most appropriate according to your judgement.

Double whammy.

Mushroom colony at the bottom of the big sugar maple tree on my front yard. Is it true that mushrooms on your tree mean the tree has to go as it is rotting at its core? I've tried to get my neighbor (who's the owner of the local, very highly regarded, tree care company) to cut down a couple of branches off this tree because they're damaged and threaten both my power and cable/phone/internet lines, so far no luck.

Wasps nest on the lower branches of the same tree, I didn't notice until I was emptying the lawn mower bag into the big bucket right underneath the nest, the wasps did not seem bothered in the least (it's about 15ft high from the ground).

I'm guessing having to pay for the nest to be removed before having to pay for the tree to be removed?

Actually no, the nest should be covered by our pest control company (which has already been the target of the English Gardener wrath when the new operator did a shitty job of spraying the house and garage foundations). Wasps are supposed to abandon the nest when the temperature drops (I did remove a similar nest back when I lived in Clifton, as it was much lower, and there wasn't a single soul left in the nest by mid October, still gross).

At least the roofer sent us an estimate, even though I have not had the courage to read it yet. Apparently he sent it on 9/1 but it never made it to my inbox...
…and the tree is 99% going to go away…

xc62701

Is it time to revive this thread for 22? I want to destroy crabgrass this year. I need chemicals for emergent protection correct? When is it best to apply this?

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
Way too late. Mid-August through Mid-September depending on your zone is ideal. Once the frost hits you're pretty much boned.

new_jersey_map_lg.gif

Fuxk

rlb

I've had good luck seeding in mid August, which lets the grass get fairly well established before frost. You just need to be sure you're watering enough for the first few weeks. I would do a pre-emergent as suggested above, then see what's growing. Hit it with a broad spectrum when things are in full swing, but before summer dormancy. The. Re-evaluate if you need to seed, and make a plan to do it no later than labor day.

THATmanMANNY

We have a stone area that has no plants or grass, is there a mild product or eco product that could be spread for no weed growth?

jklett

We have a stone area that has no plants or grass, is there a mild product or eco product that could be spread for no weed growth?
Boiling water works. I don't know how long it'll last or how big of an area you're talking about but good for spot treatment.

HiFiGuy

If you apply pre emergent you need to delay seeding. Instructions should be on the bag as to how many weeks to wait.

Otherwise you can seed in spring (mid march- mid May) or fall ( late August to mid October).
Not true anymore, found this last year and used it with great results.
1647744323363.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom