The 2021 lawn thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlb

Next step was to figure out why this head always floods the driveway. I figured one of the riser fittings was leaking, but of course not. I prepared myself to hand dig the line as far as necessary to find the leak. Luckily I only had to go about a foot. And better yet, the fix was simple. Someone forgot to pinch a clamp way back when this was installed (80s?)

PXL_20210522_235408497.jpgPXL_20210522_235418513.jpg

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Rainy day project:
Long hated this drain extension since I moved in. Decided to take advantage of the wet soil to put this in. 1 hour start to finish. I had consulted @Patrick and he had advised a full survey to ensure proper grading. Natural grade away from house so figured I was ok.
877A11F3-001C-44AC-9C6D-24EA22DFCBC9.jpegFCCF8AFD-2C9F-460D-AAAE-4A739C957228.jpegFCEDACE2-DBD1-47B7-9D22-146D0844DE1A.jpeg8B2D3FB5-8541-4DC8-ABD1-7744ACEEFD94.jpeg

serviceguy

Rainy day project:
Long hated this drain extension since I moved in. Decided to take advantage of the wet soil to put this in. 1 hour start to finish. I had consulted @Patrick and he had advised a full survey to ensure proper grading. Natural grade away from house so figured I was ok.
View attachment 158769View attachment 158770View attachment 158771View attachment 158772
how deep is the whatever is called drainage thing at the end of the gutter? Any chance it can get backed up? I guess not. I always wanted to do something like that but I'm not sure precipitation over here would require some oversized drainage of se sort.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
how deep is the whatever is called drainage thing at the end of the gutter? Any chance it can get backed up? I guess not. I always wanted to do something like that but I'm not sure precipitation over here would require some oversized drainage of se sort.
I only dug it down 10-12”,that green thing is a cap that snaps to the pipe. it probably isn’t code. I laid gravel on the bottom of it to help with drainage. There is a chance it gets backed up but not very likely. Should be able to disconnect from the downspout and flush it if it does.

serviceguy

I only dug it down 10-12”,that green thing is a cap that snaps to the pipe. it probably isn’t code. I laid gravel on the bottom of it to help with drainage. There is a chance it gets backed up but not very likely. Should be able to disconnect from the downspout and flush it if it does.
I like it though. I think I'll do something like that myself but I would use a grate cap (???) such as this...
81WbsMbWIpL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

and maybe something to prevent the pipe from collapsing is something heavy were to be on top of it. I know, I tend to overthink things...

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I like it though. I think I'll do something like that myself but I would use a grate cap (???) such as this...
View attachment 158778

and maybe something to prevent the pipe from collapsing is something heavy were to be on top of it. I know, I tend to overthink things...
You can get the collection boxes too. I was going to do that but seemed like over kill. You can use rigid PVC if worried and make sure it has a solid gravel base if worried about crushing it.

Strugglebus

View attachment 158778

Leo I would only use that cap if you like the aesthetic better. The green pop ups are better as they keep crap out of the pipe. And your not overthinking the crushing issue. This is what you want to use

With a clean out at each downspout

serviceguy

Leo I would only use that cap if you like the aesthetic better. The green pop ups are better as they keep crap out of the pipe. And your not overthinking the crushing issue. This is what you want to use

With a clean out at each downspout
Ah, I did not realized they were pop out. That makes sense. Pipes looks good but I don't think has cuts along its length for the water to drain.

Strugglebus

Ah, I did not realized they were pop out. That makes sense. Pipes looks good but I don't think has cuts along its length for the water to drain.

Perforated pipe not really necessary for downspout to pop up, especially if it’s a short run but there it is if you prefer

ekuhn

I had two of the same...one night after some rain I felt a wet pimple in the lawn in two spots. Like a water bed. The pop up emitters were covered over in clay topsoil and grass and I finally happened to al over them. Had to replace with long sweep 90 to bring up to grade. The grass roots infiltrated the one more than the other but both work good now.

911D2BDC-ABDC-4DAD-8DE1-A48243516300.jpeg

C8365184-4E71-4CE7-BF81-759358528829.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom