The 2022 lawn thread

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I could just text him, but in case others are wondering:
@pooriggy is it better to core aerate in fall or spring?
I see everyone doing it, but we were told it should be done in the fall.

HiFiGuy

Per the expert that I spoke to at Hoffman’s supply in Long Valley last year, either if fine. It is more common to do in the fall where the plugs have more time to dissolve back into the yard at a time when people aren’t going to be using the lawn.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Traditionally it's done in the fall with seeding. Opening up the ground and exposing soil at the beginning of the growing season (spring) can potentially give weed seeds a chance to sprout.

If you have heavy clay soil, or high traffic areas or a thatch problem then aerating every year is a good idea. Otherwise you can skip aeration.

If you're unsure about what to do, do everything 3x, if anything else it will make you feel better.

serviceguy

First walk of the year to assess the grass situation...in addition to the usual challenges (wife wanting dandelions, no weed killer etc.) this year the presence of the dog made for a thousand nice (J/K) little divots, it's amazing how much soil she can displace with a flick of one paw. I've also underestimated the depth of the holes she dug while the grass was covered in snow. My lawn is usually the worst looking of the neighborhood but I think this year I'll manage to get it looking even worse!

rosceaux

Glad I stumbled on this. I have the most beautiful lawn in the neighborhood from April through the last week in June. And then the crabgrass (or goose grass or whatever) strikes. From the second week in July through the end of the year it takes over. I've thought about using a pre-emergent the first week in June, but I don't want to burn out the lawn.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Captain Brainstorm

Glad I stumbled on this. I have the most beautiful lawn in the neighborhood from April through the last week in June. And then the crabgrass (or goose grass or whatever) strikes. From the second week in July through the end of the year it takes over. I've thought about using a pre-emergent the first week in June, but I don't want to burn out the lawn.

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
Pre-emerger now, maybe another dose in early April. Beyond that its too late.

rlb

Just picked up a bottle of Tenacity. It's a pre emergent & safe for overseeding.

Good stuff, I used it for a few reseeding projects the first few years living at my house. I was recently cleaning out my shed and I found a bottle from 2014. Wondering what the shelf life is, and if it can take the cold temperatures?

Reactions: djm

Rusty

honestly, if you have a decent lawn to begin with, 2 or 3 seasons of doing 4 applications of scotts at the appropriate times and your lawn will improve 300%. Not all folks subscribe to that simple thinking, due to environment, kids, dogs, etc, but it works. most important applications are now, with the crabgrass preemergent, and the fall and winter applications (winter being like october), makes a big difference.

iman29

It has begun. I did this last year for the first time ever mid season on a whim and it improved the lawn dramatically. Maybe applying it now at the correct time will
Help it some more. Have to go get a few more bags for the backyard this weekend but at least the front is done and now I don’t have to mow it for a few weeks.

D9D77834-0E9C-4A5C-B76B-B4CDD96F73AC.jpeg3F1EF1CB-5FD1-40E7-92CE-0F8591F72D22.jpeg

serviceguy

Not 100% positive it belong in this thread, I'll just give it a try...

Mosquito traps, your thoughts about them. Does anybody have direct experience with them? Do they really work? I'm talking about the ones that release a small amount of CO2 and have UV light to attract the mosquitos and then suck them in with a fan...

Years ago there used to be a product called Mosquito Terminator that used a propane tank and had great reviews, but the only similar thing I could find now is like $800 at Lowe's, a little too much to spend for a test.

I love living in RIngwood but the mosquitos can be a little much at times.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Mosquito traps, your thoughts about them. Does anybody have direct experience with them? Do they really work? I'm talking about the ones that release a small amount of CO2 and have UV light to attract the mosquitos and then suck them in with a fan...

Years ago there used to be a product called Mosquito Terminator that used a propane tank and had great reviews, but the only similar thing I could find now is like $800 at Lowe's, a little too much to spend for a test.

1649960230534.png

JerseyPete

JDurk

I've had success with these on the patio, but only good for a small area, like a patio. Have another for camping trips with our trailer. I see there's a new product on the page for larger areas, but the price is pretty close to what you mention.

Last edited:

serviceguy

Looking for a little bit more range than that...
That was the wife's original plan. Then the neighbor told us that he had one installed and soon after the bats took over their attic, and the house were he lived before, just around the corner, had the same problem...the idea pops out every now and then but it's immediately discarded after recalling that story (also, we do not have an attic).

I've had success with these on the patio, but only good for a small area, like a patio. Have another for camping trips with our trailer. I see there's a new product on the page for larger areas, but the price is pretty close to what you mention.

Not really looking to repel as much as wipe out the mosquito population, the fishes in the neighbor's koi pond must be finnicky eaters...

Top Bottom