Taming the Sourlands aka Conquering your Nemesis

Had to watch it twice to figure out where it was myself but now i see. There is a 2nd fun option line right there too on opposite side of the trail on a few boulders. This is basically the midpoint of Chunky where it goes from fun tough to miserable tough (in the direction they're riding - clockwise). And that's about 20ft past where @JimN exploded his hub on last summer's group ride.

Had to watch it twice to figure out where it was myself but now i see. There is a 2nd fun option line right there too on opposite side of the trail on a few boulders. This is basically the midpoint of Chunky where it goes from fun tough to miserable tough (in the direction they're riding - clockwise). And that's about 20ft past where @JimN exploded his hub on last summer's group ride
chunky monkey - after the two whale backs.
Nice. I don’t know chunky monkey well enough. I actually am thinking of going down there now and riding.

Too bad you didn't get video of Bill doing the two whale backs.
Had to watch it twice to figure out where it was myself but now i see. There is a 2nd fun option line right there too on opposite side of the trail on a few boulders. This is basically the midpoint of Chunky where it goes from fun tough to miserable tough (in the direction they're riding - clockwise). And that's about 20ft past where @JimN exploded his hub on last summer's group ride.

I pointed out that spot. We may need to name that feature after Jim's hub.

Nice. I don’t know chunky monkey well enough. I actually am thinking of going down there now and riding.

report back!

report back!
My Sourlands report from yesterday:

The dirt was so tacky everywhere around the park. Probably the best Sourlands conditions I’ve encountered.

I decided to get to the tech as quickly as possible since I started my ride a little after 5, so I climbed the pipeline. I hadn’t climbed that in years, and didn’t remember how steep and loose those two pitches are on it! But I was happy to see that some of the really problematic mud spots have been filled in with rocks since I last rode it.

I went left on tres amigos and felt good through the tech there, but started to get really confused by the new blazing. Who decided to blaze the former red trail in blue, and the former blue trail in red?...

anyway, I then rode chunky monkey counterclockwise and had a hard time piecing the lines together going that way. Per usual, the middle portion of the trail was swampy. I was able to ride a bunch of features in the opposite intended direction (rode up that feature that @shrpshtr325 rode down in that video, and then rode one whale back with a steep and skinny entrance right after).

wanting to try it out again after the first zone schooled me the first time, I rode chunky monkey the opposite direction. I ended up being clean all the way to the big Boulder right near the tres amigos intersection on a pretty stupid spot. I still took the KOM which is one I’m proud of.

I ended the ride by kinda just looping around tres amigos and the crossover trail, then heading back out on the troll bridge (I cleaned it for the 2nd time in my Sourlands history), and then descending the #4 marker descent back to the car. I forgot how rowdy that descent is.

apologies in advance for the sour rambling, but I love that place - hadn’t been in too long, I need to come back again soon.

oh- and I congratulated my chunky monkey KOM with some bottles from the local distillery:

B598E327-F885-4EDE-B756-BC35A0E376A8.jpeg

Yes, the new blazes will take some getting used to (it was the park, and they didn't ask for my input). Nice job on Chunky! Brave riding it in both directions in the same ride. I think @rick81721 held that KOM for a while from a trail run he did lol. The swampy areas on it seem to be getting worse and/or moving to different sections. They will be addressed in time (with more chunk!) Try to make the Cinco de Mayo ride Patrick just posted for more fun!

Conditions there today were perfect and the slightly colder weather in the am kept a lot of hikers away. Did not come across a single other biker out there today. This place needs more love

it now had the 'more love' parking lot!!!

I think we need to propose a new trail to accommodate all the new hikers/riders.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions