surgery time

walter

Fourth Party
Well, here it goes, all my prayers didnt work and on St. Patty's Day I am going in for arthroscopic surgery on my shoulder.

Question is, the doctors told me I cant eat anything past 12AM. My surgery is scheduled for 1 PM, which I know isn't gonna happen. What can I stuff up on prior to to fill me up. Any other advice would be great, thanks!!! If any of you folks have had the surgery, what can I expect?

Last edited:

J-Dro

Walt, you really shouldn't have any food in your stomach, per doctors orders. It could complicate things with the anesthesia. It sounds like you will be getting general anesthesia which means you won't feel or remember a thing. Try not to worry, short term pain for long term gain. And stick with the rehab program religiously for speedy recovery.

Good luck!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Good luck Walter, we're all counting on you.

I recommend 18 beers. You won't want to eat when you wake up.

walter

Fourth Party
Thanks for the help Jeff, and I knew I could count on the other 3 of you for help.:rolleyes:

Sausages it is.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
it's really not that difficult to go 13 hours without food. it's actually good for you. just ignore the initial hunger pangs, and once they subside(they will), you'll probably be fine right up untill surgery time. if it get's really tough, think of people that have been lost at sea or in the desert and survived for 30+ days without food and realize how much of a whiney bitch you're being(i'm not calling you a whiney bitch, i actually do this to myself with endurance stuff and when fasting.).

so, are you gonna be allowed to drink immediately after the surgery? it is pretty much mandatory tomorrow.

walter

Fourth Party
so, are you gonna be allowed to drink immediately after the surgery? it is pretty much mandatory tomorrow.

I havent had any type of surgery since I was 13 when I had to have my face put back together after a dirt bike accident. Yes, this is my face AFTER they fixed it, har har. I dont know what kind of pain I will be in or if they are going to give me meds or have me medicated for when I wake up, so we shall see.

Im really not one for popping pills or anything like that so we shall see what kind of mood I am in when all is said and done.

I am looking forward to one full week of no BS from the wife, no duties whatsoever.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
Good luck man, you will do fine. If the doc prescribes you percoset, I strongly suggest you tell him "something else please dood". They truly suck.

olegbabich

I did not have orthopedic surgery but I did have a plate and 8 screws installed last July in my left shoulder.
You will be OK, your throat will be really sore from the tube. It will be hard to find a comfortable sleeping position for about a month. You will need painkillers, unless you are a real MACHO man. I was back on the Bike in about 6 weeks. Good Luck!

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
I broke my right clavicle in April 1997. As I was leaving the ER in Rahway, the nurse handed me a bunch of release papers, including a prescription for Anducet. I scoffed at this, saying, "I'll be fine with ibuprofen." I went to sleep that night pretty easily, all propped up in bed and swollen. About an hour later, I awoke to the feeling of someone beating on my shoulder with a hammer. I took the Anducet then, willingly, and eventually drifted off to sleep.

From that point, I took the drugs, but only at night so I could sleep. The downside that I experienced was the nasty hangover they left me with. Since I was only taking one a day, I never had stomach issues, nor was I on them for all that long.

Walter, being scoped should leave you with a lot less inflammation than a major hack job would produce. Hope all goes well and we see you out pedaling as soon as possible!

Shaggz

A strong 7
perc gave me the skin crawlies, nose itchies and was hell on my stomach. i am a true believer in the benefits of pain killers helping the healing process, but i would opt for pain if perc were my only choice.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I didn't have any ill effects from the percs. The first night after surgery I think I took too many, at like 2am I had some serious eye-freak buggy thing going on.

Anyway, the reason I suggested against them is they gave me hellacious withdrawals. I was a complete asshole for a week after going off of them, but I didnt realize why I was such a douche until someone mentioned their same experience. Then it sort of clicked. I didint like the feeling, and it pissed me off that something I took for such a short time did that. I would have much rather had something that just knocks me out at night instead of the percs, which just sort of make you feel happy. Very weird.

Top Bottom