Supah-fly!!

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
My new Gary Fisher Superfly has just landed!! I still need to dial in my fit and cut the cables and fork...It's super-sick!! I rode it a little around the shop and it will get it's maiden voyage on Thursday morning...It weighs 23 pounds the way it sits, I already have a few diet items on the block...

l_2cee937dff88bc794c91a809034aadba.jpg

-Jim.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
nice

Welcome to Club 29!

Not too shabby a start in the house of 29.

After looking at the pick of your old bike it seems like you might need a deeper drop stem to ground out the front end.

Enjoy. You will have to let us know how you like the SRAM stuff as compared to the new Rapid Fire.

Steve Vai

Stem...

The head tube on my 8500 was much taller so I needed to run a -17 degree to get the front low enough...My seat to bar drop is actually a little lower the way the Superfly sits now, it just doesn't look it...I go by my fit numbers anyway, that's all happening tomorrow, then I'll know what has to go where...It seems really close just setting it up by feel...I can't wait 'til Thursday!! :getsome:

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
The head tube on my 8500 was much taller so I needed to run a -17 degree to get the front low enough...My seat to bar drop is actually a little lower the way the Superfly sits now, it just doesn't look it...I go by my fit numbers anyway, that's all happening tomorrow, then I'll know what has to go where...It seems really close just setting it up by feel...I can't wait 'til Thursday!! :getsome:

I found that with the same effective reach and saddle differential #'s I still needed the bars lower to ground out the front end with the bigger wheel.

I switched from a low rise 8 degree sweep bar to a flat 11 degree sweep.

But that was just me.. The dumb-ass who head-butts trees and stuff

dhsean

Thursday Thursday Thursday!

Thursday, thursday, thursday, watch out for the 29 inch wheels of fury!

The bike looks awesome, too bad we're going to mess it all up tomorrow. See you then.

Steve Vai

Introducing "PARA-FLY"!!

The Supahfly is now Supah-gone...It's demise was quick and painless...I apparently got one that had a bit of carbon lay-up issue...After a seemingly low-key ride, I got home and noticed a 3 inch crack in the downtube...I didn't even notice it happen, or notice that the frame was cracked...I sent pictures out to Trek and they very kindly over-nighted me a Paragon frame so I can ride while they try to locate another Superfly...But honestly, I kinda like the way the Paragon looks a little better, and with the Superfly build kit, it sits at 24 pounds, which isn't bad at all if you ask me...So here's a picture of the new limited edition "Para-Fly" or maybe it's a "Supergon"...

l_3ffdb0b2583b33bc82b674e45b642594.jpg

-Jim.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Holy crap, I can picture this...(remember I live like 3 miles from where Jim works)...

Jim: Norm, yeah, come on down and test ride my new "SUPAH FLY", you'll love it.

Norm: Ok, um, you sure? I mean, I'd hate to F it up or anything.

Jim: It's SUPAH FLY baby, you can't F it up.

10 minutes later...

Jim: WTF is that?!?! A 3 inch crack on the frame? WTF did you do?

Norm: Im'a super fly outta here, ok?

Wazu

Reminds me of Ryan H. at Ringwood a few months ago. Are treks known for cracked downtubes or something? Good luck man. The new one looks better and prolly stronger. Keep it!

Steve Vai

Yeah, yeah, yeah...Wisconsin made OCLV Trek's rarely fail, I've seen a small handful of broken carbon Treks in over a dozen years in the bike industry, however, as riders expect more bang and less buck, frames are now being made overseas, where as we all know, just isn't the same quality...The Superfly frame by itself weighs a very scant 2.6 pounds, which is very light for a 26 inch race bike, it's near absurd for a 29'er...The Fisher-pros rode USA-made "superfly" prototypes last year, and then went overseas for the rest of us who are less willing to spend probrally around $5000 for a 29'er, maybe as the 29'er segment grows there will be a call for a super-high end USA made carbon frameset, just not right now...So all-in-all I'm not that surprised it cracked, I'm actually kinda glad it happened so soon, that way I'll never know what that extra pound of weight off the bike feels like...The Paragon frame is 3.7 pounds, which is still very respectable...I'll also say that I'm super happy with the "Para-Fly", I can't believe the difference the big wheels make!! I've officially been converted!!:D

-jim.

Top Bottom